6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:41 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
One thing that just occurred to me is that I may want to make a unit using two or more off-the-shelf (OTS) SPI devices.

Yes. This is another reason for using the CONFIG signal.

Remember that even GPIB addressed this issue by using secondary addresses too!

The way I see it, when in CONFIG mode, a device responds to the configuration command set. This means:

* It responds to commands to query the kind of device it is, and its capabilities. This includes the number of secondary addresses.

* It responds to commands to select a specific secondary address for "normal" I/O operations.

* It responds to interrupt management and query commands.

* If the device is a switch or an expander, it must also respond to commands for asserting and negating the child bus' CONFIG signal too. This allows the host system to probe nested buses too, albeit at a slight performance loss.

Hmm...perhaps a better name for the CONFIG signal is ADMIN, for "administration" mode, since it's clear its function extends beyond that of simple auto-detection and configuration.

Quote:
If I ever sell it, I'd also like it really simple for the customer to understand and make more things for.

Hey, now, I'd like this to remain open, so us hobbiests can continue to enjoy its benefits too! I would prefer some standard to be set forth by a consortium that one doesn't need to pay a cent to be a member of, unlike PCI. (Or, payment is just enough to cover operating expenses. $1000 per year or more for places like PCI-SIG and USB-SIG are OUTRAGEOUS.)

Quote:
gives the extra addresses without making the connector bigger, but each switch will need at least one IC (and probably more), adding complexity.

I predict a minimum of two ICs: a 3-state buffer for gating the upstream bus pins onto the sub-bus ports, and a MCU to handle the upstream ADMIN commands.

Quote:
Since there can be considerable IxR drop across a long, small-guage 5V conductor but switching regulators are a piece of cake now compared to the C64's heyday,

GOOD POINT, I hadn't thought of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:35 am 

Quote:
Hey, now, I'd like this to remain open, so us hobbyists can continue to enjoy its benefits too!

Absolutely. What I was referring to was a pipe dream of mine to sell workbench computers and low-end ATE, where the customer only pays for the hardware, no royalties. Even my software would be free. The only reason to copyright the software would be so someone else can't sell it as their own or "license" it to others after I've already decided it should be free to anyone who uses it. I'd like to address a niche market that's well below the high-end stuff National Instruments does, and does not require proprietary software or even a particular host computer platform (like Windoze). The likelihood that I'll ever carry out this pipe dream is very low however.

Quote:
I predict a minimum of two ICs: a 3-state buffer for gating the upstream bus pins onto the sub-bus ports, and a MCU to handle the upstream ADMIN commands.

If you propose a workable way to do it that does not burden the simpler devices with unnecessary complexity, I expect that I'll support you.

I agree that it would be nice to all settle on the same thing so various forum members here could share designs or even actual hardware. However, even if by hashing this through we all come to slightly different decisions about how to carry out the details, we will still have benefitted from each other. For what I'm working on right now, I might not wait for a final agreed-upon consortium specification. The interface will be part of a mezzanine board for my current workbench computer, and it will be wire-wrapped. A couple of implications are that being wire-wrapped and not a PC board layout, I can modify it later to some extent, or even make a new mezzanine board to plug in without redoing anything on the computer board itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:32 am 

Quote:
Quote:

If you propose a workable way to do it that does not burden the simpler devices with unnecessary complexity, I expect that I'll support you.

Actually that does sound pretty simple. If I understand you right: At the simplest level, the µC may not even need an MISO connection, since all it has to do is watch for when its SPI slave port is selected, then take the first byte and then select the right subaddress accordingly. When its select line goes false, it de-selects everything on the sub-bus as well, and is essentially reset. The data to and from the sub-bus do not go through the µC, but rather through the buffers, which are also disabled by the same line that selects the µC's SPI slave port. Further steps would require the MISO line on the µC so it can, as you suggest, answer the SBC's identify or interrupt-status queries.

Minimum ICs would be a 74xx125 quad buffer with gate, and a µC with a slave SPI port and enough I/O pins to select any of the sub-bus devices and monitor all their IRQ lines, plus one open-drain pin for IRQ out to the host. I already have PIC16C72's here, so maybe I'll use that. It has a few things the switch itself won't need, like an A/D converter, but it has enough pins and the slave SPI.

I don't see this as needing an ADMIN line. The first byte sent to the switch tells it what to do, whether to just enable a device on the sub-bus, send ID, tell of interrupt status of devices on the sub-bus, disable sub-bus interrupts, or whatever. The controller can talk with the switch µC until a sub-bus device is enabled. After that, the switch takes no more instructions until its select line goes false and back true again.

Quote:
(And, then, we need to arrive at a specific pin layout too.)

Ok, if you find the above agreeable, how about holding it down to a 20-conductor ribbon, with something like:
Code:
  GND
CS1\
CS2\
  GND
CS3\
CS4\
  GND
CS5\
CS6\
  GND
CS7\
  +12 (bypassed to ground at every connector)
IRQ\
   GND
CLK
  GND
MISO
  GND
MOSI
  GND

The next standard size of IDC up from 20 is 26. Here I'm abandoning the twisted-pair ribbon cable and baluns since you say the IDE cables can go well over 100MB/s without them. The clock and data lines are still paired with grounds, but there are two select lines between pairs of ground lines. The outer edges of the ribbon are grounds. The +12V is near the middle, pretty much guaranteeing that no matter how you plug it in, ground will get connected first. (That's not to say it's hot-pluggable, but at least there's less chance of damaging anything if there's an accidental plugging-in or unplugging.) The scheme above does not leave any open IDC holes to put a keying plug pin into to make sure it doesn't get pushed onto the header backwards, but if that's an issue, keyed IDCs and shrouded headers with keyways could be used.

The exact software protocol for the switch can be determined later, and won't hold up my construction of the serial bus for my workbench computer mezzanine board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:53 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Actually that does sound pretty simple. If I understand you right: At the simplest level, the µC may not even need an MISO connection, since all it has to do is watch for when its SPI slave port is selected, then take the first byte and then select the right subaddress accordingly.

Sorry -- I haven't had time to draw up my idea in schematic form since today was my last day working for my (now former) employer. I should have more time to draw up some schematics to make things a tad bit clearer.

Quote:
The data to and from the sub-bus do not go through the µC, but rather through the buffers, which are also disabled by the same line that selects the µC's SPI slave port. Further steps would require the MISO line on the µC so it can, as you suggest, answer the SBC's identify or interrupt-status queries.

This sounds reasonable. I never thought of using the switch idea to replace the ADMIN line. The overhead is that now EVERY packet has to have that prefix command/address byte, but that would have happened anyway at some level. And, it's a lot faster than having to command the admin phase to change sub-addresses, then switch over to the normal device (1 byte overhead replaces, minimum, 2 or 3, plus the time taken to assert and negate the ADMIN line).

Quote:
I don't see this as needing an ADMIN line. The first byte sent to the switch tells it what to do, whether to just enable a device on the sub-bus, send ID, tell of interrupt status of devices on the sub-bus, disable sub-bus interrupts, or whatever. The controller can talk with the switch µC until a sub-bus device is enabled. After that, the switch takes no more instructions until its select line goes false and back true again.

I LIKE this. Again, I never thought of this, but it makes perfect sense. This isn't too far from GPIB's overheads either, where every transaction on the bus was prefaced with ATN asserted and the appropriate TALK/LISTEN commands. In some senses, it's actually faster than GPIB.

Quote:
Code:
  GND
CS1\
CS2\
  GND

I'm assuming pin 1 is at the top of the list (e.g., pin 2 is CS1\)? Also, I'm assuming CS1 is the actual device select line?

Quote:
The next standard size of IDC up from 20 is 26. Here I'm abandoning the twisted-pair ribbon cable and baluns since you say the IDE cables can go well over 100MB/s without them.

Yeah, well, I'm also talking about the 80-pin IDE cables, not the 40-pins. :) I haven't pulled any 80-pin IDE IDCs apart to see how the interleaved grounds work. I think it might be necessary to do this before making this decision, to see how it'll all piece together.

Also, it looks like the characteristic impedance for such a cable is close to 260 ohms (if used balanced) or 130 ohms unbalanced.

Quote:
The exact software protocol for the switch can be determined later, and won't hold up my construction of the serial bus for my workbench computer mezzanine board.

Yeah, this seems reasonable. If changes need to be made, though, it's probably better to use a different connector or bus protocol completely anyway. I mean, 20 pins is already an awful lot! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:17 am 

Garth, check out this site:

http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_IDE.html

This lists the various IDE cables and bus speeds achieved on them. Even the 40-pin cable is able to transfer data at 33MBps, which in terms of serial translates to 16Mbps throughput (remember that IDE is a parallel 16-bit bus). Since you'll be bit-banging, even a low-quality ribbon cable would work well.

Also, and in opposition to the Amphenol website I found on these cables, it claims that bus impedance is close to 90 ohms unbalanced. So, a 100-ohm termination wouldn't create too much SWR on the lines, and that means less emissions in the form of reflections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:33 am 

Quote:
I'm assuming pin 1 is at the top of the list (e.g., pin 2 is CS1\)?

Sure, that would be fine. I just looked at an IDC to make sure the edge of the ribbon would be on pin 1, and it is.

Quote:
Also, I'm assuming CS1 is the actual device select line?

It could be either an individual device on the bus or a switch that handles a sub-bus. The main bus doesn't care which.

Quote:
The overhead is that now EVERY packet has to have that prefix command/address byte

..if and only if the packet goes to a switch or something on a sub-bus.

Quote:
Yeah, this seems reasonable. If changes need to be made, though, it's probably better to use a different connector or bus protocol completely anyway. I mean, 20 pins is already an awful lot!

Yeah, I'd like to go for a 10-pin, but I don't want to make other things more complex in order to get there. Otherwise I'd be going for an RJ-45 or even a 3.5mm 3-conductor phone plug. The 40- and 80-conductor ribbons are not practical for connecting a bunch of devices on the workbench. When they're inside a computer case, at least you can put the cover on and forget about them for months (if not years) at a time.

Quote:
Also, it looks like the characteristic impedance for such a cable is close to 260 ohms (if used balanced) or 130 ohms unbalanced.

If that info is not listed in the catalogs, I suppose I could set up an experiment to measure it; but if we ran the data fast enough to matter (or, I should say, if our rise times were fast enough to matter), then really each device along the length of the connection should act as a termination and a repeater so we don't get flaky operation from an unknown number of loads along the entire length of the daisy-chained line and unknown line lengths between devices.

Quote:
I haven't pulled any 80-pin IDE IDCs apart to see how the interleaved grounds work. I think it might be necessary to do this before making this decision, to see how it'll all piece together.

If you can look into this, I'll be waiting on the edge of my chair. I'm anxious to build the first copy of the interface per these hardware spec.s if we decide they'll acomplish the purpose.
Edit: Thanks for the link. For the 40-conductor cable, the data lines are together with no ground lines separating them. I see there is a key at pin 20's position.

Thanks for your response and vote of confidence Samuel. André or anyone else have more comments?

We'll need to keep this going so we can decide on some switch protocol specifications, but at this point it doesn't look like they will affect the hardware design any further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:33 am 

At this point, I'm looking at average costs for 20-pin IDC connectors, and they appear to range from $5 to $7 in singles. This means that it'll cost $10 to $15 or so minimum investment, just for the connectors.

Are there any cheaper that you're aware of? I looked at both DigiKey and Mouser.

Also, will the signalling be 3.3V?

WAIT...

If there is no ADMIN pin, then that necessarily means that all peripherals will require a switch uC up front. Otherwise, the connection of a raw SPI chip to the bus may produce abnormal behavior when attempting to probe it. Thus, all devices attached to the bus must have some amount of local intelligence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:51 am 

Quote:
and they appear to range from $5 to $7 in singles. This means that it'll cost $10 to $15 or so minimum investment, just for the connectors.

Are there any cheaper that you're aware of? I looked at both DigiKey and Mouser.

Here's the thirty-nine-cent IDC:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... ctId=32521
and here's the $1.39 pin header:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... ctId=71829
These are both polarized and the header is shrouded and has the ejector hooks. I haven't checked Digi-Key yet, but I know they have them in wire-wrap too. Without these they're even cheaper.

Quote:
Also, will the signalling be 3.3V?

I was thinking of 3V, but I haven't looked into the best way to get there from 5V, whether using 74LVXxx, 74LSxx, open-collector comparators, or what.

Quote:
WAIT...

If there is no ADMIN pin, then that necessarily means that all peripherals will require a switch uC up front. Otherwise, the connection of a raw SPI chip to the bus may produce abnormal behavior when attempting to probe it. Thus, all devices attached to the bus must have some amount of local intelligence.

I lean toward not requiring everything to be probe-able. A particular system could require it, but systems desiring to allow dumb devices would not require such intelligence. The hardware can allow us to go either way. We could call it a couple of levels of compliance. Level 1 would not require it, although the user's software can still talk to a switch if he desires. Level 2 could have the extra overhead and intelligence built in for doing the polling to see who's out there, what addresses they occupy, what they can do, etc.. The same OS could go either way at the user's command. Further levels might be difined in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:13 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I lean toward not requiring everything to be probe-able. A particular system could require it, but systems desiring to allow dumb devices would not require such intelligence.

So, in other words, your system would contain a configuration file that basically says, "Probe around these devices listed herein, as I already know they are too ignorant to respond correctly." I hadn't thought of that either.

As the Kestrel's boot device will itself appear on the bus, and can appear anywhere on it, the Kestrel will require all peripherals to have at least an auto-configuration MCU on it. At maybe a buck a pop, I don't think this is a terrible burden for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:08 pm 

Quote:
As the Kestrel's boot device will itself appear on the bus, and can appear anywhere on it, the Kestrel will require all peripherals to have at least an auto-configuration MCU on it.

Another good idea. I wasn't thinking of having the boot device on the bus myself, but non-intelligent devices could still be allowed on the bus by just requiring that the boot device be the first one in line, ie, address 1. It sounds like you'll always need it, so why not. It doesn't necessarily even need to be external to the Kestrel's cabinet.

Quote:
At maybe a buck a pop, I don't think this is a terrible burden for me.

I wasn't really concerned about the dollar cost since it's dwarfed by the extra time required to construct something more complex.

As I listed the lines above, there are 8 ground lines. How about if we change two of them to +5 and -12V. They would be bypassed to ground by a 0.1µF capacitor at each connector, so they would have the same protective qualities as a real ground line. The -12V, like the +12V would be unregulated and not critical. It's useful for things like LCD backplane bias, op amp supplies, some D/A converters, and cheap line drivers like the twenty-nine-cent 1488. My workbench computer supposedly has a -12V line but I usually only have it at -9 or -10. Again, it's not critical.

On the matter of line lengths and terminations which we were discussing earlier, I just remembered I have the printer connected to one of the workbench computer's VIAs through 16 feet of cable and no termination in the printer AFAIK. There's a 10' cable with DB-25 on each end from the workbench computer to the selector switch, and then a 6' standard printer cable from there to the printer. The selector switch determines which computer gets the printer. It has worked fine for 15 years this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:45 pm 

You asked for comments, ... :-)

I think it seems to fit your requirements, and that is good, as it seems you are the first to use/build it.

I like the addition of a regulated +5V line, so I could use simple devices without an own regulator. If I would implement the bus, I would probably go with a single original select line and define the first "hub" on the controller board, so that the cable still has all your select lines.

For my requirements (remember, mostly peer-to-peer and half-duplex between say a C64 and a PET) I think I will make another connector, with additional handshake, maybe something like a cross-over cable or so. I'll have to see when I get to it - which can be a while from now...

Thanks for the discussion and your comments anyway
André

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:19 pm 

It is going to be tough enough for me to provide +12V. It absolutely is not possible for me to provide -12V as well. The power supply I am planning on powering it with is a Cobalt RAQ 2 power supply, which only provides +5V, +12V, and ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:25 pm 

Quote:
If I would implement the bus, I would probably go with a single original select line and define the first "hub" on the controller board, so that the cable still has all your select lines.

An excellent idea for when VIA bits are at a premium (which is usually)! It would just add slightly more software overhead. Doing it this way however only affects the controller board, not any part of the interface specification external to the controller board. This leaves some freedom.

Quote:
For my requirements (remember, mostly peer-to-peer and half-duplex between say a C64 and a PET) I think I will make another connector, with additional handshake, maybe something like a cross-over cable or so.

By "cross-over cable," do you mean like a null-modem does? I guess that would be part of allowing two things that are normally controllers to talk to each other. Hmmm... now that you make me think about it, the only practical way to connect two controllers together using the serial bus we've been discussing so far seems to be to use a device connected to each controller, and have the devices talk to each other, like what modems do. Then each controller is essentially DTE and each communicating device is DCE. Since you don't need an actual modem or even line drivers and line receivers but just something like an SPI UART, a single IC would do for each side. That would handle the buffering, interrupts, handshaking, full duplex, etc.. The only thing it does not take care of is the possibility of passing bus control from one controller to another-- which may not be an issue in practical use. Each bus is always controlled by the same controller.

Quote:
I'll have to see when I get to it - which can be a while from now...

Even if your ideas are not very developed yet, I'll value your input. Are you thinking of just one more line? Two? I'm trying to imagine what they might do, especially since you say "peer-to-peer" which does not really sound like a bus. Maybe I'm missing something though. You can probably use the 6522's serial port for that.

Samuel and I have talked about designing this kind of interface for a couple of years or more, and now that I'm ready to build it, I wanted to get any last new ideas.

Quote:
It is going to be tough enough for me to provide +12V. It absolutely is not possible for me to provide -12V as well. The power supply I am planning on powering it with is a Cobalt RAQ 2 power supply, which only provides +5V, +12V, and ground.

Are you really against these lines (+12V and -12V) then, or is it ok with you if we have a couple of the "ground" lines connected to ground only through capacitors, so they can optionally be used to carry power? I don't want to cramp anyone here, just leave possibilities open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:32 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Then each controller is essentially DTE and each communicating device is DCE.

Correct. The DCE on each side could be an Ethernet interface, for example. I'm also interested in freespace optical networking as an alternative to wifi too.

Quote:
especially since you say "peer-to-peer" which does not really sound like a bus. Maybe I'm missing something though. You can probably use the 6522's serial port for that.

Well, as you recall, that's precisely what we were trying to engineer via the SS-22 interface. I tried taking your SS-22 idea and implementing it as a serial loop or as a bi-directional bus architecture. It would have worked, but its resource demands would have been relatively high (you MUST have 2 VIAs to implement it, for example, and unless you were willing to bit-bang, you could only use VIAs to interface to it).

Peer-to-peer means that each side is both a client and a server, in terms of the roles it provides to other nodes on the link. It strictly speaking isn't topology dependent (e.g., the Internet is architecturally a star network; yet, P2P networks exist all over the place on it). However, peer to peer got its start back in the LANtastic days over 10-base-2 Ethernet, which most definitely is a bus architecture. :-)

Quote:
Are you really against these lines (+12V and -12V) then, or is it ok with you if we have a couple of the "ground" lines connected to ground only through capacitors, so they can optionally be used to carry power? I don't want to cramp anyone here, just leave possibilities open.

I'm not very experienced in this area, so I have very mixed feelings. But, to me, I think it's a bad idea for two reasons.

1) To keep costs of the controller down, I think it would be wise to not stipulate that you must have +12, -12, +5, and -5V on the bus, regulated or otherwise. Power supplies can be had commercially that can supply these, but from what I've seen, at significant cost. It also adds mass to the circuit as a whole, which means it's not nearly as portable. It also consumes more power to provide these voltage rails.

2) I fear that taking true grounds away in place of supply rails will reduce its ability to function correctly. Ripple will be introduced which regulators may not be able to compensate fully for. In every circuit I've seen where this may be a problem, a clear distinction between types of grounds are provided (e.g., analog grounds versus digital).

3) If Kestrel provides a true ground on pins you decide to use -12V or -5V on, what happens if I try to insert one of your peripherals into my bus implementation? Or, vice versa? Will damage come to the peripheral or to the bus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:36 am 

Quote:
By "cross-over cable," do you mean like a null-modem does? I guess that would be part of allowing two things that are normally controllers to talk to each other.

Basically something like that. My requirement is that I have a single shift register on each end only, so I can not require the device (and controller) to send and receive at the same time. Rather the controller would signal the direction and both, controller and device would use this line to determine their direction.

Note to the SS22-interface: I would use an electronic switch for the 6522 so I could use the same single shift register for sending and receiving.

Quote:
Hmmm... now that you make me think about it, the only practical way to connect two controllers together using the serial bus we've been discussing so far seems to be to use a device connected to each controller, and have the devices talk to each other, like what modems do.

Yes, and that is what I wanted to avoid. But as I said - you don't have the multi-controller requirement. I basically have, and that is the reason that for this peer-to-peer connection I want to stick to peer-to-peer and not a bus. Arbitrating between two controllers is easier than between multiple controllers.

Quote:
Samuel and I have talked about designing this kind of interface for a couple of years or more, and now that I'm ready to build it, I wanted to get any last new ideas.

You're years ahead anyway, so just stick with it! i don't want to keep you from it until I got my stuff sorted out, which may take a while just as well :-)

André

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next