6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:49 am 

pda wrote:
Edit: (I'm pretty suspicious about the RXTX library and its native interface under Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks. Various versions are crashy or don't work. The ones that do work prevent Arduino 1.0.x from starting, although Arduino 1.5.x works. But it crashes when closing the serial monitor. I'm using RXTX-2.2pre2)

For what it's worth, I've basically given up on using the Arduino IDE here on Linux. It always struck me as being a piece of junk, and then being generally unable to get it to talk with actual hardware reliably, or in some cases at all? Ugh. I very quickly set up avr-gcc, avrdude, a makefile, and minicom for my FlashROM programming project (SST39SF040, from a Mega 2560 R3, all wires and a ZIF socket, no other components), used emacs for editing everything and basically haven't looked back. From MacOS I would probably try the same thing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:19 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
From time to time someone on the forum is sure the new parts they just got are dead.

I should have been clearer.
I suspect it died between me receiving it and now, due to some horrible wiring accidents that may have occurred :)

But - I'll continue reducing it down to writing a single byte with the simplest possible program and most conservative timing, and see how it goes.

(VCC is 5.04V at the EEPROM, drops to 5.03V under load e.g. during reads. That seems fine.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:22 am 

nyef wrote:
pda wrote:
For what it's worth, I've basically given up on using the Arduino IDE here on Linux. It always struck me as being a piece of junk, and then being generally unable to get it to talk with actual hardware reliably, or in some cases at all? Ugh. I very quickly set up avr-gcc, avrdude, a makefile, and minicom for my FlashROM programming project (SST39SF040, from a Mega 2560 R3, all wires and a ZIF socket, no other components), used emacs for editing everything and basically haven't looked back. From MacOS I would probably try the same thing.

Yeah - I went down that path, although getting a working avr-gcc environment with access to the Arduino libs under Mac OS proved difficult.
Instead I begrudgingly use the Arduino IDE to compile and upload, but do all my editing in vim.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:39 am 

pda wrote:
Edit: (I'm pretty suspicious about the RXTX library and its native interface under Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks. Various versions are crashy or don't work. The ones that do work prevent Arduino 1.0.x from starting, although Arduino 1.5.x works. But it crashes when closing the serial monitor. I'm using RXTX-2.2pre2)

I spent a little time on trying to get the 28Cxxx programmer running on my MacBook Pro (OSX 10.8), but I was never even able to get Java to see the RXTX library. Looks like I'll have to try again :-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:50 pm 

rwiker wrote:
I spent a little time on trying to get the 28Cxxx programmer running on my MacBook Pro (OSX 10.8), but I was never even able to get Java to see the RXTX library. Looks like I'll have to try again :-)

This is what ended up (sort of) working for me:
Code:
$ ls -l ~/Library/Java/Extensions
lrwxr-xr-x  RXTXcomm.jar -> /Users/pda/Downloads/rxtx-2.2pre2-bins/RXTXcomm.jar
lrwxr-xr-x  librxtxSerial.jnilib -> /Users/pda/Downloads/rxtx-2.2pre2-bins/mac-10.5/librxtxSerial.jnilib

(I'm using symlinks at the moment, but just copying the files there works too).
The 2.2pre2 lib complains about a version mismatch with 2.2pre1 - that's a known issue and apparently harmless.

Arduino IDE 1.0.x doesn't start with those files present, but Arduino IDE 1.5.x does.
I `mv ~/Library/Java/Extensions ~/Library/Java/Extensions-disabled` if I need to use Arduino 1.0.x.

So yeah - the RXTX situation is all a bit of a mess.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:34 am 

Back from one week in the cold wilderness in Sweden and "surprise, surprise" there's a lot of "action" in this thread again. :-)
Thanks to Paul for the GitHub updates, I merged them into to main project.
I did not updated one of my Macs to 10.9 at this time, so I'm save from the RXTX library problems for now. But as I get a fresh MacBook with my new job starting at January next year, I will do a GitHub checkout and fresh installation on 10.9, documenting all the steps needed to bring the programmer to life.
If somebody has the installation of RXTX, Java and the JavaGUI already done on Linux or Windows, it would be great to get the details to create a install guide for the main operating systems.
It's good to see, that what started as a "proof of concept" is now a little project base for several programmers. Thanks to all contributors.
Mario.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:06 am 

Hi,

I've been working on a 28C64 programmer using the Arduino Uno, based around a simple counter and the MCP23008 I/O extender.

Maybe it's of interest to someone? You can read about it here: http://tobier.se/eeprog/

I've got everything wired on my breadboard, but I haven't finished the firmware and tried everything out yet. Comments and suggestions are very welcome. This is my first real attempt at making a digital circuit design, so there are probably flaws in my design :-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:48 am 

Thanks tobier, and welcome!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:03 am 

nyef wrote:

Auduino look fun and all, but really you can get the same results with a breadboard, an ATmega[8/32] and a ISP programmer.

avr-gcc is easy to use if you have done *any* C dev. avr-gcc, avrdude, makefiles and minicom are indeed all you really need.

FWIW, my programmer can be implemented in about 4 components: ATMega8, two 8bit (74HC) counters, and a ZIF socket. Circuit is here: http://aslak3.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/ee ... rcuit.html Code is on github.

I use mine a couple of times a week. I'll happily post off a PCB and a few spare parts for a few pounds of postage.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:44 pm 

rpress wrote:
Thanks you guys for the hard work!

I got a board from UnaClocker a few days ago. My old TOP2049 died, but the best part is I can finally program in Linux!

With a few transistors and a boost supply I've added the ability to program SST27SF512 and W27E512 chips. I happen to have a bunch of these chips already. It should also do 27C512 but I haven't tested that. If I could get the source for the latest JBurn I can post a diff of the changes I've made, along with the Arduino sketch for anyone that is interested. I have it working with the old java program right now.

With the bps at 115200 it takes 12 seconds to program, not bad! Is there a reason it was set to 57600 before?

If there is some interest I could also update the schematic with my changes.

rpress, I've got the new boards in hand, should have the components in by the middle of the week. I don't have a 27SF512 so test them out on, so I'm going to send the first assembled board to you to confirm that part of it works. I'll be able to confirm the boards still work. I went to SMT everything this time, aside from the caps/inductors and the diode. It allowed me to keep the board size the same.
As soon as I get the functionality confirmed, I'll post the latest eagle schematic/board files. No point sharing them till I know they work.
My name gets completely obscured by the ZIF socket.. haha.. Fair enough, I guess. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:45 am 

hi all. UnaClocker, I bought your last 1.0 board on tindle and it seems not to be working properly.
I read the attached EF.bin file out of a 27c64, and i can write it back to a 28c64 but it seems mangled somehow.
when I write the 8k,.bin file I get ~1000 bytes different using verify, the sections at teh end and beginning are all FF's
I've tried presslab's fork, limiting serial speed, adding delays, etc. Any suggestions? my 6809 sbc is wating for a rom :D

Attachments:
File comment: contains EF.rom and 8k.rom
testroms.tar.gz [1.07 KiB]
Downloaded 93 times
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:03 am 

tobier wrote:
I've been working on a 28C64 programmer...

First, welcome to our 6502 world.

Quote:
This is my first real attempt at making a digital circuit design, so there are probably flaws in my design :-)

None are jumping out at me at this time. It's probably safe to say that it won't smoke on the first power application. The work will be in programming your firmware. Please keep us posted on your progress.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:05 am 

UnaClocker wrote:
rpress, I've got the new boards in hand, should have the components in by the middle of the week...
My name gets completely obscured by the ZIF socket.. haha.. Fair enough, I guess. :)

Nice-looking board. Gotta move your name farther north the next time. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:47 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
First, welcome to our 6502 world.

Thanks!
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
None are jumping out at me at this time. It's probably safe to say that it won't smoke on the first power application. The work will be in programming your firmware. Please keep us posted on your progress.

I've got everything wired up, and it didn't smoke! However, I either have some problems with my logic or something wired wrong, as I seem to be able to write bytes to the EEPROM but I don't get back what I expect.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:28 pm 

tobier wrote:
I've got everything wired up, and it didn't smoke! However, I either have some problems with my logic or something wired wrong, as I seem to be able to write bytes to the EEPROM but I don't get back what I expect.

Do you have suitable test equipment to monitor the EEPROM pins to see what's going on? Also, are you confident about your timing?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next