6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:53 am 

I got the end-of-life notification for some TI parts like this

Texas Instruments SN74HCT244DWG4 595-SN74HCT244DWG4 23165086 End of Life

I use this as a level translator from 3.3V to 5V. I.e. power with VCC=5V, and takes logical input signals from 3.3V CMOS side.

I know they are still available from other supplies, but what would be a good replacement family, if it comes to that?

Would 74AHCT work? It seems to be way faster, but also drawing more current. And I guess more ringing on the outputs due to faster transition times.

André

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:25 pm 

fachat wrote:
I got the end-of-life notification for some TI parts like this...Would 74AHCT work?

74AHCT may be considered a direct replacement for 74HCT in almost any application.  74AHC(T) is essentially a combination of the propagation speed of 74AC(T) and the lower drive and less-aggressive edges of 74HC(T).  Most 74AHC(T) parts have nearly-identical prop times as their 74AC(T) equivalents (many 74AC(T) gates run in the single-digit nanosecond range), so there will be a substantially boost in the maximum speed at which a given circuit could be run.  74AC(T) devices typically can source/sink 24 mA, whereas the 74AHC(T) family can source/sink 8 mA, so that characteristic, along with the slower edges, gives some relief from ringing problems—theoretically, things will be no worse than with 74HC(T).

I suspect 74AC(T) logic will gradually disappear, other than bus drivers and transceivers, with which the strong output drive is generally a desirable characteristic.  Other than bus drivers, I see no reason to not use 74AHC(T) in place of 74HC(T), even in applications in which prop times are unimportant.

Many, but not all, 74AHC(T) devices continue to be available in PDIP, with SOIC a practical alternative if the builder is able to solder packages with 50-mil pin pitch.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:54 pm 

Is the '544 still remaining available? I find it a much more handy part - electrically equivalent, but in a saner footprint for PCB layout.

Incidentally, OnSemi are moving the manufacture of some of their simple logic gate parts from (iirc) the Philippines to Taiwan - resulting in a geometry change that affects the maximum value of Vcc. If that's important to you, the only maker left with basic logic with a 7v CMOS part is TI.

Neil