6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:52 pm 

When booting the 6502, there must be RAM in $00-$FF. And there should be also RAM in $100-$1FF for programs work reliably. (*)

And there should be somethingthat the CPU could read in $FFF0-$FFFF. Either ROM, or RAM with the appropiate locations filled with values, put there before kickstarting the CPU.

I was wondering about having the 6502 access the first 32K of memory as fixed RAM, and then bank the other 32K with the flip of a switch.

The fixed RAM would be where the main code of an app, game or OS would be. There would be also mapped inside access to things like storage and different chips like serial or parallel ports, sound and graphics, through the use of registers that would be inside those first 32K.

And the following memory from 32K up to 64K would be swappable, and would contain data that the code running in the first 32K could use. Or even more code that wouldn't be running all the time but only when needed.

What would be that chip that would allow for a redirection of the top 32K? Some kind of memory selector?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:16 pm 

It seems at first that a 74x15x chip would do it. Well... actually a bunch of them!

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:41 pm 

You don't need much, I think: the large RAM chip which is mapped into the top half just needs to get its high address bits from a register which is writeable as I/O. So, an 8 bit latch is enough: a '273 perhaps.
https://mil.ufl.edu/3701/pinouts/74200.html

As you note, for this scheme you need I/O in the low half - page 2 might be attractive.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:34 pm 

tokafondo wrote:
It seems at first that a 74x15x chip would do it. Well... actually a bunch of them!

Let's make it the '70s way:

• A 74HC251 uses three S inputs to select one of its eight D inputs, to be redirected to it Y output.
    Eight '251 chips and a 256Kx8 SRAM chip could be used to have eight banks of 32K RAM.

• A 74HC253 uses two S inputs to select one of its four 1D/2D inputs, to be redirected to its corresponding Y1/Y2 outputs.
    Four '253 chips and a 128Kx8 SRAM chip could be used to have four banks of 32K RAM.

But the thing is that the S inputs are not static, so a latch should be put before them, to have them set all the time until changed by the CPU.

Another thing is that the change of bank should be done before the CPU trying to read the memory from the selected bank, so it should be done during the half cycle the CPU is not accessing the bus.

Am I over engineering this?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:38 pm 

tokafondo wrote:

Yes. That much complexity just to access chunks of memory begs for another solution. The 65C816 will do what you want with a fraction of the glue logic.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:41 pm 

I think this is over-complex...

You'd need an array of registers for the high bits, if you planned to map in multiple sections from the big RAM - for example, mapping 8k pages on 8k boundaries. And yes, you need to pick the right register to read from on each access.

But your original sketch was to have only one active mapping, into a 32k area, and for that you only need one register. Well, so long as 8 extra bits of address is enough.

In fact the BBC Micro has such a simple system: there's a 16k window where one of 16 memories can be mapped in. So there's a 4 bit latch/register, which is written when the program needs to change from one memory to another.

(My feeling is that discussions of this type of question can get confused if the word 'bank' or 'page' or 'slot' is used loosely or used for more than one thing. But I haven't settled on a terminology.)

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:55 pm 

I think I didn't understand how to approach this.

A0-A14 are the lines used by the 6502 to address its first 32K of memory.

Once I turn A15 on, that falls into the second 32K of memory. A15 would be used as chip select for a second 32K chip. That second 32K chip would be a virtual one, and by virtual I'm saying one of the 32K banks or sections of memory inside a larger chip. A 256K chip has 8 of that sections. To select one of those sections, I would enable the address lines above A14 in the 256K chip accordingly. But to its eyes, the 6502 is just accessing memory that falls between $8000 and $FFFF.

That enabling should be made by writing a four bits register. That register would be a latch or flip-flop chip that would be kept static that until reset or changed by the CPU. Those four bits should be maped in location that would fall in the first 32K bank of memory, and should be changed only when the program counter would be pointing to an address =<$7FFF, unless extreme careful programming would allow for switching banks and having code there that would continue running with no problems.

For every extra bit used, the addressable memory is doubled, and the amount of banks of high 32K of memory is doubled.

Right until here?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:56 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
tokafondo wrote:

Yes. That much complexity just to access chunks of memory begs for another solution. The 65C816 will do what you want with a fraction of the glue logic.

Well... the 65C816 has its own way of doing things, as it wouldn't need no banking at all, unless more than 16MB would be wanted to be used, isn't it?

Edit: typos

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:24 pm 

tokafondo wrote:
Well... the 65C816 has its own way of doing things, as it wouldn't need [any] banking at all, unless more than 16MB would be wanted to be used, [would] it?

Banking on the '02 has always intrigued me. Jeff Laughton carried the '02 to an unimaginable extent with his KimKlone 65c02 with pointer-arithmetic-friendly extended address space. The BBC Micro Ed mentioned, and a few other home computers of yesteryear, have schemes that would be good to look into also. Banking on the '02 has been discussed in many topics here over the years. Click on "Search" near the top of the page and try the terms banking, bank, banks, etc.. There's probably a good term I'm forgetting.

The '816 does eliminate most of the complexity though, in both hardware and software. Banks are 64K each, and the data bank and the program bank don't have to match. If the data or routine you need to access are not in the current bank, you can use bank-agnostic 24-bit addressing and get there in a single instruction. Indexing can cross bank boundaries. However, the stack, direct page (DP), vectors, and interrupt routine entry points will always be in bank 0, ie, in the first 64K, regardless of bank registers.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:31 pm 

tokafondo wrote:
Well... the 65C816 has its own way of doing things, as it wouldn't need no banking at all, unless more than 16MB would be wanted to be used, isn't it?

Well, the 65C816's means of accessing a large address space is significantly more rational than methods I've seen over the years to do the same with a 65C02. With the 816, a transparent D-latch is all that is required to generate the A16-A23 address component.

The problem with using a bunch of latches, decoders, etc., to make a 65C02 access more than 64KB of RAM is one of performance. Cascading all that logic adds propagation time and sets a hard limit on how fast the system can run. Having gobs of RAM is of questionable value if glue logic makes the system run slowly. The WDC 65C02 can be clocked beyond 20 MHz in a five volt system, but attempting to do so would be an exercise in futility if glue logic prop delays got in the way.

As for making the 816 access more than 16 MB of RAM, the question would be why? What do you plan to do that requires that much RAM?

A thought for you to ponder...my company started building UNIX servers in 1989. Error-correcting RAM in those days was costly, so our servers at the time had only 2 MB of RAM—which cost more than the motherboard and processor combined. Yet our machines supported 32 concurrent users with only minimal process image swapping. Going back farther, most of the late-1970s and early 1980s minicomputers rarely had more than a meg of RAM, yet could support dozens of users. So again, what are you planning that would require more than 16 MB of RAM?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:50 pm 

Is there any way, BDD, to have a discussion about banking on the 6502 without getting diverted into a discussion of the '816?

I would have hoped that the thread title and first post would set up the context for the discussion, and it might be true for almost everyone here, but somehow it's not quite enough for everyone.

Back to the topic of the thread:

> That enabling should be made by writing a four bits register. That register would be a latch or flip-flop chip that would be kept static that until reset or changed by the CPU. Those four bits should be maped in location that would fall in the first 32K bank of memory, and should be changed only when the program counter would be pointing to an address =<$7FFF, unless extreme careful programming would allow for switching banks and having code there that would continue running with no problems.

Yes, this is all sounding good so far, until you mention checking the program counter. That bit I don't quite understand.

Why did you mention PC < $8000? Were you thinking of that as distinguishing the first instruction of the application running? (In fact, what you do is check the address bus in a Sync cycle.) That's a reasonable thing to do: you enable the large memory when you're running in low memory. But you're not changing the 4 bit value, you're switching in that mechanism and switching out a different mapping which doesn't even include the large RAM.

After reset, after getting your program loaded, the 4 bits which control the upper bits of the large RAM will be updated whenever the program chooses to write to the appropriate I/O location, and not at any other time.

That is, there are two kinds of mapping being done, or from the point of view of the 6502's address map, two kinds of substitution. One is about accessing a large RAM, and the other is about where post-boot code and data comes from.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:54 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Banks are 64K each, and the data bank and the program bank don't have to match.

From a data fetch/store perspective, the 65C816 has a flat address space and always generates a 24-bit address, even when direct or absolute (16-bit) addressing modes are used. DB is a "convenience" register that primarily exists to accommodate code that uses absolute addressing for fetches and stores—DB supplies the "missing bits" needed to fully form the address.

My usual approach to dealing with DB in a program that uses local workspace (other than on the stack) is to set DB to the bank in which the program is running (PHK followed by PLB). Doing so means absolute addressing can be used on the workspace, eliminating the performance effects of absolute long and indirect long addressing.

That said, in native mode operation, excepting stack-relative instructions, it is possible to completely ignore DB during fetches and stores. My latest revision to the 65C816 string manipulation library (currently undergoing testing) makes no use whatsoever of DB, and uses indirect long addressing to process strings, facilitated by pointing direct page to reserved stack space.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:55 pm 

BigEd wrote:
Is there any way, BDD, to have a discussion about banking on the 6502 without getting diverted into a discussion of the '816?

No.

Next question...

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:10 pm 

BigEd wrote:

The material is all here on the forum; but newcomers with even the best intentions will have a hard time navigating the huge volume of archives. It is understandable that they will keep coming with the same questions and ideas. It would be good to have a link with very clear explanations which we could direct them to, showing why it just doesn't pay to do banking on the '02 when the '816 really does do it better in every way, with no disadvantages. It's not just a matter of opinion or distraction. We want them to be successful, and the '816 is where it's most likely to happen. The problem is in how to somehow help them over the hump regarding the natural misunderstandings.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:12 pm 

BigEd wrote:
Why did you mention PC < $8000?

The banking system I'm thinking about works by replacing the whole high 32K area everytime a bank is switched out.

What the 6502 would be seeing is the low 32K being always the same. And the high 32K would change completely when the bank registers are changed.

So: if PC <$8000, then no matter how many times the high 32K changes, the next instruction to be processed would be the expected one.

But if PC >=$8000, and the code there changes the bank, then the next instruction wouldn't be the expected one because all what is contained in $8000-$FFFF in different from what was there previously...

...unless what is stored in the new bank is the right instruction to be processed, because that's how it was coded.