6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: UNEXPECTED FIND
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:13 am 

I have been given a genuine Commodore KIM-1, Rev F, photos attached. The woman who gave it to me was going through her late father’s stuff and found it.

The question is what to do with it. :D

Attachment:
kim101.jpg
kim101.jpg [ 1012.23 KiB | Viewed 2923 times ]
Attachment:
kim102.jpg
kim102.jpg [ 2.21 MiB | Viewed 2923 times ]
Attachment:
kim103.jpg
kim103.jpg [ 961 KiB | Viewed 2923 times ]
Attachment:
kim104.JPG
kim104.JPG [ 826.14 KiB | Viewed 2923 times ]

Post subject: Re: UNEXPECTED FIND
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:21 am 

Very nice! In good condition too - I'd be inclined to keep it that way, in the sense of feeling free to use it but not to start modifying it.

In the long run, when you're done with it for whatever reason, it can hopefully go to a museum or another enthusiast or collector.

I see a number of '77 datecodes, which is unsurprising - but what are the datecodes on the 40 pin devices? Are they a bit earlier?

I am mildly curious as to what modifications or improvements the various revisions made.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:01 am 

BigEd wrote:
Very nice! In good condition too - I'd be inclined to keep it that way, in the sense of feeling free to use it but not to start modifying it.

In the long run, when you're done with it for whatever reason, it can hopefully go to a museum or another enthusiast or collector.

I’m not going to modify it or attempt to power it, although I see no reason why it shouldn’t work. Everything appears to be intact.

Quote:
I see a number of '77 datecodes, which is unsurprising - but what are the datecodes on the 40 pin devices? Are they a bit earlier?

The 6502 (see third photo in the series) has the date code 0178. One of the two 6530s is also 0178. The other is 0278. The PCB appears to have the date code 12-77. There is no evidence of any rework to the unit, so I’m inclined to think the chips are all original, thus putting the assembly date in January 1978 at the very earliest. However, the PA7901 stamp below the KIM-1 legend could be a production date code. I’m not familiar enough with the history of the KIM-1 to know what that might mean.

Quote:
I am mildly curious as to what modifications or improvements the various revisions made.

Unfortunately, we couldn’t find any documentation her father might have had for the unit (an aside: I knew her dad from my music activities, but had no clue he was interested in computer hardware—to say I was astonished when I saw what was in the static bag is a gross understatement). There are no bodge wires anywhere, so perhaps the Rev F means earlier design changes that were implemented with bodge wiring were rolled into a new PCB layout.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:55 am 

Wow, talk about a nice find! Super clean too.... I would have to get a 5-volt supply and power it on however :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:21 pm 

If you choose not to try to use it, you might as well seal it into a picture frame or a clear display case aka shadow box.

And be sure to designate an heir who will treasure it rather than discard it as useless junk.

Original KIM manuals are not quite as rare as the hardware.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:26 pm 

floobydust wrote:
Wow, talk about a nice find! Super clean too.... I would have to get a 5-volt supply and power it on however :wink:

I’m strongly resisting the temptation to hook it up and give it a spin. In examining the unit under magnification, I couldn’t see any evidence of it having been connected to anything—the edge connections don’t have any visible marks. So it may be it has never been used. That makes me very nervous about powering it and possible having the magic smoke escape. In any case, I don’t have any 44-pin edge connectors. :wink:

BillG wrote:
If you choose not to try to use it, you might as well seal it into a picture frame or a clear display case aka shadow box.

And be sure to designate an heir who will treasure it rather than discard it as useless junk.

The woman that gave it to me thought it was garbage and, I think, called me as an afterthought. :shock: My wife would likely throw it away, as she thinks I already have too much computer junk. :D I will have to make it clear to her it’s not trash.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:37 pm 

Wow that's an awesome find!

I would be itching to power it up. But at the same time, I'd almost rather use a replica for playing around with and frame that piece of art.

But that's just me. :-)