6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:17 am 

Does anyone have the stock PROM image for Synertek's FDC-1 floppy controller, called the "PerSYMone". It uses an 82S129 for address decoding and the one I have has been fitted with a PROM that has a custom address space. I have an adapter board designed for arcade machines that uses a fast EEPROM to replace it and am working out the default address space but it would be nice if someone had the original PROM image available.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:06 pm 

I have a PerSYMone controller with a stock prom. (I'm having problems reading floppys at the moment although it does address the controller at least.) I have to admit I am unsure how I might easily get an image of the contents but am willing to try. I also vaguely recall that in an issue of SYMphysis (i don't recall which one) there was someone offering custom proms. I suspect that Jeff Lavin (who did a lot of support for the SYM) would be a person to contact but of course I don't have any current info for that.
Let me know if I can help you further.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:50 pm 

okwatts wrote:
I have a PerSYMone controller with a stock prom. (I'm having problems reading floppys at the moment although it does address the controller at least.) I have to admit I am unsure how I might easily get an image of the contents but am willing to try. I also vaguely recall that in an issue of SYMphysis (i don't recall which one) there was someone offering custom proms. I suspect that Jeff Lavin (who did a lot of support for the SYM) would be a person to contact but of course I don't have any current info for that.
Let me know if I can help you further.

I used the following method to read the custom PROM I currently have to verify that it was not the stock version https://hackaday.com/2011/05/18/arduino-arcade-rom-dumper/ Although this method prints the values as ASCII and does not generate a bin file directly. I have some adapter boards that use a W27C512 in place of the original prom and that should be fast enough were I can just work out the addressing through trial and error, I was just hoping someone had access to a .bin file of the original. :)

Thanks for the assistance, and also thanks again for the First Book of KYM/SYM appendix PDF!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:24 pm 

Hi
I have arduino etc. so I can try that method and get back to you. Might take a day or so as I am busy today.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:52 pm 

OKay I have attached the text print out of the prom,which indicates it exactly mirrors the default memory map for the SYM. The outputs are chip selects for the controller's i/o map. $9000 for the eprom, $f000 for the fdc controller and $f100 for the control port. The outputs are low for the chip select for the various chips. You have 256 locations for the 256 pages of memory in the memory map. Hope it helps.

Attachments:
symfdc1prom.txt [4.27 KiB]
Downloaded 63 times
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:33 pm 

okwatts wrote:
OKay I have attached the text print out of the prom,which indicates it exactly mirrors the default memory map for the SYM. The outputs are chip selects for the controller's i/o map. $9000 for the eprom, $f000 for the fdc controller and $f100 for the control port. The outputs are low for the chip select for the various chips. You have 256 locations for the 256 pages of memory in the memory map. Hope it helps.

That's awesome! Thank you so much for providing that. This confirms I have a custom PROM installed which seems to be setup as the following:

Code:
A600 = Hex Latch,Buffer        // 1110 E
A700 = 1791,Buffer             // 1000 8
A800 = disabled                // 1011 B
A900 = EPROM                   // 0011 3
AA00 = EPROM                   // 0011 3
AB00 = EPROM                   // 0011 3
AC00 = disabed                 // 1011 B
AD00 = EPROM                   // 0011 3
AE00 = EPROM                   // 0011 3
AF00 = EPROM                   // 0011 3

1011 --  /Data Bus Buffer
|||____  /CSEL 1791
||______ Side Sel,DS1,DS2,Motor On Hex Latch (active high)
|_______ /EPROM

I was looking at pics online of various machines and noticed that this AIM-65 has a FDC-1 installed Image interesting...

Thanks again for the help!

Attachments:
a600prom.txt [4.5 KiB]
Downloaded 67 times