6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:32 pm 

I' hoping someone else remembers these machines...

Way back in the late 70s, early 80's, I remember using a standalone (no networking that I can remember) 6502-based machine with 8" disk drives and a very Unix-like OS (I don't actually remember how truly Unix-like it was under the covers, but I do remember a shell that used common Unix-like commands like 'ls', the C compiler was 'cc', and it was able to do background tasks by adding the '&' to the end of the command, which was my first introduction to multitasking, so it was memorable) for learning Pascal, C and assembly in University.. I've been searching high and low but I can't find any info on such a machine, which my fading memory is pretty sure was called a "Lisa" or something very similar.. These days, the best known 'Lisa' is Apple's failed product, and a 6502 assembler program..

Anyways, does anyone else remember a machine like this? I'd love to find an old unit and restore it, but I just can't remember enough details beyond what I have shared above..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:59 pm 

Welcome!

Sounds very interesting indeed! Was this in the USA? Could it have been a project built within the university for internal use? Accessed with a terminal? Or VDU and keyboard built in?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:29 pm 

Canada, but the machines would have been American as we didn't have any computer manufacturing industry to speak of at the time.. . I don't believe it was an internal development either as we had a whole classroom of these. The form factor was a standalone VDU with keyboard and two vertically mounted 8" floppies. If I recall, everything booted from the floppy, so no internal fixed disk at the time. It had accounts and a Unix-like login screen, but no networking (perhaps you could have connected a serial terminal, but I don't think any of ours were configured that way). There was one unit with a printer connected that you had to take your floppy disk to in order to print... Unfortunately this was my first compsci course and I was more fascinated at what you could do by programming than by the details of the hardware itself.. We also used emacs as the editor in the course, but 'ed' was also taught as we still had TTY on some sort of PDP mainframe.. I don't recall if vi was available, but that system was the one I first learned emacs on, so another reason for nostalgia..

The course was 6502 assembly and another on Pascal and C and the compilers all generated 6502 code, but I wonder if there's any possibility that the computer might have actually been a z80 machine, which would have been much more common in that era, and maybe 6502 co processor card as that kind of thing was also common, albeit in the reverse sense (e.g. the CBM z80 card for the PET that allowed it to run CP/M apps and the similar z80 card for Tandy 6809 machines). Does anyone know if such a thing existed: 6502 daughtercards, as that could explain why I can't find any references to an early 6502 Unixx machine...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:49 pm 

I think it was relatively common to have cross-assembly capability, so a 6502 assembler would run on some other, more convenient, platform. I wouldn't be too surprised if the 6502 binary was then run on a software emulator - do you have any recollection of the run-time environment? As you say, it could also have been an actual 6502 system attached as a peripheral or subsystem.

Here's a hint about the setup at Waterloo - they made the SuperPET, a PET with a 6809, showing what a university was capable of:
https://uwaterloo.ca/watitis/university ... w-trenches

The mentioned MicroWat can be seen here:
https://computermuseum.uwaterloo.ca/ind ... jects/1690

But no 8" drive visible.

Last edited by BigEd on Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:52 pm 

Doesn't sound like anything I recall. However, I will mention Craig Bruce's work in implementing a UNIX-like environment on a Commodore 128—it was something I messed around with a bit in the latter 1980s.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:27 pm 

c_4 wrote:

Way back in the late 70s, early 80's, I remember using a standalone (no networking that I can remember) 6502-based machine with 8" disk drives and a very Unix-like OS (I don't actually remember how truly Unix-like it was under the covers, but I do remember a shell that used common Unix-like commands like 'ls', the C compiler was 'cc', and it was able to do background tasks by adding the '&' to the end of the command, which was my first introduction to multitasking, so it was memorable) for learning Pascal, C and assembly in University.. I've been searching high and low but I can't find any info on such a machine, which my fading memory is pretty sure was called a "Lisa" or something very similar.. These days, the best known 'Lisa' is Apple's failed product, and a 6502 assembler program..

Anyways, does anyone else remember a machine like this? I'd love to find an old unit and restore it, but I just can't remember enough details beyond what I have shared above..

The Aztec C compiler (which I used on the Apple II) came with a Shell that had mostly unix-like commands including a 'vi' style editor. I don't recall & though, however this may be a good read:

http://aztecmuseum.ca/

-Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:58 am 

This rings a bell in the back of my brain, but I can't remember the details. There was Lunix on the C64/C128, but that didn't come along until the '90s...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:27 am 

Thanks Gordon - that Aztec C offering has, in at least one variant, as well as a shell, an assembler called LISA, which matches one of c_4's memories:
http://www.appleoldies.ca/anix/index.htm
"The ANIX Shell, Lazer Pascal and the LISA Assembler for the Apple II"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:42 am 

Question for you c_4: when you mention 8" floppies, how sure are you? Both 8" and 5¼" are black-sleeved, large, and a bit flexible. Is it possible that you are comparing to 3½ disks which are smaller and in a hard plastic shell with a sliding metal cover? In comparison to those, and without any other reference point, maybe what you remember are 5¼" floppies? There would be rather more candidate machines in that case. I'm not yet finding a 6502 based machine with integral 8" floppies.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:26 pm 

Could it be one of these?

https://www.old-computers.com/museum/co ... st=1&c=242

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 5:11 pm 

BillG wrote:

The high-end TRS-80s were quite expensive ($4999 in 1982 USD for the Model 16), so imagining a classroom full of them strains my imagination.

Also from the wiki:
Quote:
Why is a Model 16 like a bowling ball?

Because you can get the same amount of software for each!

— Joke told at Tandy headquarters

My university operating systems design course used an AT&T 68k workstation as its target, but we developed our projects on the resident VAX running Ultrix, and transferred our attempts over a flaky serial connection. Most of the student teams used Modula-2, but my team and one other blazed our own trail with a c cross-compiler. Working in a small team was a memorable experience, but not a particularly pleasant one.

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:16 pm 

Do any of these look like what you remember?

http://www.technology.niagarac.on.ca/people/mcsele/hobby/ohio-scientific-computers-challenger-iii-oem/
https://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=47
https://www.smcelectronics.com/DOWNLOADS/1980%20OHIO%20SCIENTIFIC.PDF

The C3 series had 3 microprocessors including teh 6502 and could run a variety of operating systems.

You can find them, or pieces of them, on ebay from time to time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:34 pm 

c_4 wrote:

If it was indeed Unix-like you are almost certainly thinking of UniFLEX, which was an evolution of FLEX. However, these ran on the 6809 and 6800, respectively.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:32 pm 

The Motorola development machine (Exorcisor) ran on 2x 8" floppies and had a "unix like" command line syntax. It could run FLEX which is unix like. Perhpas the UNI added a 6502 cross assembler?