6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:52 am 

The Apple ][ Basic Programming Manual (the "Integer" BASIC manual), written by none other than the late Jef Raskin, has, as you'd expect, a section on saving programs to audio cassette tape (the only form of storage available on the Apple II at the time the manual was written). In that section, the user is invited to listen to the cassette in the same way they would listen to a music cassette. The manual, therefore, contains this all time classic on p. 15:

Quote:
What is it that the computer finds so interesting about these tapes? Listen to one of them. It's not music to your ears. Yet you can recognize some of the sounds the computer listens for. The information starts with a steady tone. Then there is a short "blip" followed by more of the steady tone. The tone is at 1000 cycles per second. This pitch is just below the C two octaves above middle C. After the tone comes a burst of sound rather reminiscent of a rainstorm.

When you are used to the sound of a good tape, you can quickly check a tape by ear to see if it is a computer tape or not. If you can tell what the tape contains by listening to it, you are a mutant, and will go far in the computer world.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:09 am 

Conversely, you can look at a 45rpm single and see something of the dynamics of the track...

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:06 pm 

Quote:
After the tone comes a burst of sound rather reminiscent of a rainstorm.
The tone and the rainstorm are pretty boring, IMO. Instead of program-load sounds, I'd much rather listen to the sounds of a program running. :) This is often audible on a nearby audio amplifier, or an AM radio tuned between stations.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:13 pm 

The ZX Spectrum had quite an expressive sound track. You could easily tell the tonal pips and squeaks of graphics from the angry chords of color attribute data, and then there was always some quality to the code noises that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Not white noise... definitely ghosts in the machine.

If you're so inclined you can find many a ZX Spectrum tape loading recording on youtube. But... my God, man... why would you?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:20 pm 

You've got to listen to something while you're entranced by the blue and yellow flicker stripes.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:31 pm 

This sounds similar to how, as I understand it, folks listen to fast Morse Code.

Morse is presented as a bunch of letters. But when performed, you instead of listening for letters, you listen for phrases. No doubt all of the words have their own "song" about them.

And that's how you listen to fast Morse, you train your ear for the songs.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:16 pm 

Jef Raskin and Burrell Smith. Two men that played very important roles at Apple that most people never heard of.

I'm sure there are many more....

That is funny, however. I remember trying to emulate the sound of my modem made when connecting to BBS's. I got pretty good at it! I'm sure my friends thought otherwise. lol