6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:54 pm 

THE 64 - Computer and Handheld Console

It has SD card slots, USB ports and HDMI.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... -console#/

After not receiving one of my Kickstarter purchases, I am concerned about pledging towards a product.

http://www.the64.computer/

I don't know a lot about this product or how it would stack up towards the old C-64.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:18 pm 

It's a flexible target - that means they take your money even if they don't raise enough to do the project. Personally I'd not get involved with that way of raising money. Kickstarter works as an all or nothing, which makes more sense to me. You still need to balance the risk versus the reward.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:31 pm 

ChuckT wrote:

After not receiving one of my Kickstarter purchases, I am concerned about pledging towards a product.

http://www.the64.computer/

I don't know a lot about this product or how it would stack up towards the old C-64.

From what I've read, my impression is that this unit's only resemblance to the C-64 is an approximately similar appearance and the use of "64" in the name. I would not invest in this project, even if the production and distribution of the unit were a sure thing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:45 pm 

Lack of detail is scary.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:37 am 

ChuckT wrote:

I won't pledge anything ever again to any Indiegogo campaign. Kickstarter is slightly (but only slightly) safer. But I've decided that if the product is good enough, it's good enough that I wait until I can buy it off the shelf.
I've had some luck with a few campaigns, but also bad luck with an Indiegogo campaign with what should be a very trustworthy company, but turned out to not be so. It would have made much more sense to wait for the product, which is what I will do in the future. I may still pledge a few bucks to campaigns where it's stated up front that it's about financing something worthy, not about getting something back.

And Indiegogo keeps spamming me all the time, however many times I click the 'take me off this list' button. Fortunately gmail can dump it straight to the spambox.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:18 am 

Not even nostalgia..

Lots of money for a very vague described product(s).

April 2017? Better walk away.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:47 pm 

I really wanted to love this project. But if I had to guess, it would be just a fancy FPGA in a good looking case.

Here is what I want regarding the C64 reboot:

1) New C64, C64c, C128, Plus/4, etc. cases made new (we have the C64c now but not sure if they are still being made).

2) New keys being made for the C64/128.

3) VIC-II drop-in replacement via FPGA like the F18A is for the TMS9918. It should work with legacy C64's.

4) Drop-in replacement for the SID. We have the SwinSID but it isn't 100%. The Propeller's SIDCog is VERY good. But it can't act as a drop-in replacement (anyone want to tackle this one??). A drop-in FPGA or Propeller that worked in legacy C64's would be awesome.

5) Drop-in replacements for the various C64 support chips...PLA, CIA, etc.

6) New motherboard for C64 (this is done...but I think very expensive).

That's a tall order but I think all of them could be done. If we had those, then building a C64 compatible would be possible.

And please, don't mention FPGA solutions. Not the same thing. HOWEVER, I admit an FPGA solution at the CHIP LEVEL (like F18A) is OK as long as it is a DROP-IN replacement.

In 2016, you can build a 100% compatible ZX Spectrum with new parts. Let's do the same for the C64. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:07 am 

cbmeeks wrote:
The Propeller's SIDCog is VERY good. But it can't act as a drop-in replacement (anyone want to tackle this one??). A drop-in FPGA or Propeller that worked in legacy C64's would be awesome.

Maybe they'll use part of the open-source Propeller SystemVerilog code from the P1V project with SIDCog? Shouldn't be too hard to do.

Besides, it's still easy to buy a reliable real C64 off eBay for just a few bucks. And if it doesn't work, you can just buy another one.

So I agree, it smells like a scam, and I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole.

===Jac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:56 pm 

jac_goudsmit wrote:
Besides, it's still easy to buy a reliable real C64 off eBay for just a few bucks. And if it doesn't work, you can just buy another one.

Oh, I agree. But for now. eBay scammers are a virus on this planet. I have over 60 vintage computers. I buy them all the time. I've been buying broken ones lately because the working ones are getting pricey. Have you priced a working Amiga 500 or Atari ST lately? Kinda sad.

If I had millions and millions of dollars, one of the first things I would do is setup a foundation (even financed with my own money) to preserve these vintage machines as much as possible. If I had Bill Gates money, I would buy up patents, companies, etc. so that I could open source them, create new IC's for vintage parts, etc.

One can dream....

:-)