6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:58 am 

There's quite a number of articles in the ten year anniversary edition of Creative Computing, by luminaries such as Michael Crichton, Clive Sinclair, Chuck Peddle, Forrest Mims, Bill Gates, Scott Adams, Gordon Bell, Adam Osborne, Lee Felsenstein, Rodnay Zaks, Seymour Papert, Bill Budge and many more.

One article is by Stephen B. Gray, who relates that he founded the Amateur Computer Society in 1964 and produced a newsletter. He got 110 members initially and ran the newsletter until 1976. "The original idea of the Amateur Computer Society, or ACS, was a membership organization with chapters and a newsletter or two. But the people who wrote in were so widely scattered that local chapters never got beyond the idea stage."

Quote:
Responses from prospective members ranged all the way from "I've been thinking about building a computer for some time" (two dozen of these) through "I have the shift registers completed" (a dozen of these) to "I've build a computer and am now programming it" (two of these).

Quote:
Back in the mid-sixties, to build a simple computer accumulator, which could do no more than add successive inputs, using toggle switches for input and lamps for output, cost several dollars per bit. To build an extremely simple "computer" with four-bit words and without memory, and which divided the easy way (by repeated subtraction without shifting), could cost two or three hundred dollars.

Quote:
Generally speaking, beginning amateurs hoped to use a large number of instructions, between 50 and 100. Those who had gotten fairly well into the construction used no more than 11 to 34.

Quote:
Only two of those surveyed reported being anywhere near completion of their computers.

Stephen goes on to describe the Echo IV, a very substantial homebuilt machine. He noted that it "took a year to build and would need ten years to program. Echo IV was seven feet long, one and a half feet deep, and six feet high." Also "Echo IV had four flip-flop registers, and three registers in core memory. There was 8K words of 15-bit core memory; clock speed was 160 KHz; and there were 18 instructions."

HTML format:
Creative Computing magazine November 1984
Scanned pages format:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:00 am 

Thanks. That "Creative Computing" format is sure hard to read; but I sure enjoy looking at those old magazines. I wish I had kept a lot more than I did. I read the article "Prediction and Predilection" and would like to read many more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:01 am 

Be sure to check both the scanned and the HTML versions - they have complementary merits!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:16 pm 

I think if the Vulcan 74 or other breakthroughs were available back then, this technology would have had a second life of its own.