6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:41 am 

BigEd wrote:
The 74LS02 is a TTL part, a quite different process. Actually I'm not sure how good TTL is at pulling all the way up to the rail, but maybe it's fine.

Whoops - that points me to a little flaw in my breadboard design: no pull-ups, just TTL output of '02 into 6509... it seems to work... but maybe that's the reason for some quirks...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:08 pm 

Interesting, I didn't think the 4040 was any different from the 8050/8250/1540/1541/1571/etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:38 pm 

Hobbit1972 wrote:
Using RDY would be 2 clocks faster for it is already waiting inside the LDA. Using WAI would have to load LDA instruction, address byte (and possibly second address byte if I/O not in ZP).

That's an interesting idea. It would work if the input is transparent during the read, but the next thing to find out is whether the VIA will transfer new data to the bus during the read time, ie, data that wasn't there yet at the beginning of the read time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:31 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
the next thing to find out is whether the VIA will transfer new data to the bus during the read time, ie, data that wasn't there yet at the beginning of the read time.
Maybe I've misunderstood the context here, but I don't see how this is necessary. After every wait state (caused by RDY being low), another whole new bus cycle occurs (albeit to the same address). Seems to me the VIA should have no trouble delivering new data in the new bus cycle.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:19 am 

Hmm, are there reads of status registers which change the state, such that a repeated read isn't what you want?

I suspect the construction of the CS (or maybe the E input) to the VIA will determine whether it sees repeated reads or one looong read.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:11 am 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
Seems to me the VIA should have no trouble delivering new data in the new bus cycle.

I also would think so. VIA should sample data in phi1 and put the new data on the bus every phi2. But maybe somebody with a VIA could test it to be sure?

(If it would not work it should not be too difficult to find work around with RDY/CS logic.)

BigEd wrote:
Hmm, are there reads of status registers which change the state, such that a repeated read isn't what you want?

That could be the case, of course - one has to keep that in mind.

On the other hand: in this design VIA's read or write handshake features probably are not too useful here, for it either triggers an IRQ or has to be polled by software - both completely unnecessary when waiting is already performed through RDY. Other accesses than to data Port A/PortB also is not used or necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:59 am 

You could use S.O. pin to do synchronous transfers. Trigger by hardware, use it in software type feature whereas RDY signal can only be used by hardware and you cant use it for synchronous transfers.

I guess the pin used initially for early testing & debugging of the design. And the least used flag is chosen as victim for this late addition to the design. (Just a guess)