6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:22 am 

On another forum, I posted a picture of a motor my Father made with spare parts. Then I thought to myself, where did they get parts? I think RCA and G.E. made vacuum tubes.

Mouser was formed in 1964 and Digikey was formed in 1972. Radio Shack was formed in 1921.

What was there before then?

I looked at the History of Electrical Engineering before then and it lacks the history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... ngineering

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:43 am 

When I was introduced to the Mouser and Digi-Key catalogs in the mid-1980's, they were less than 3/8" thick.  Now they're approaching 3", and not everything they have is in there.  Allied was around long before that though, and Radio Shack and Lafayette were both started in the 1920's, with radio amateurs being the target market.  My family moved to the city we live in now in in 1975; and at that time, in my teens, there were 10-15 electronics stores within six or eight miles, counting Radio Shack only once (not every branch store within that distance).  Most electronics stores were mom-and-pop-owned, and many of them were surplus electronics stores.  As a paper boy, I had very little income, and didn't drive yet, but it was wonderful.

There were other mail-order stores I found out about through magazine ads, and I ordered from Newark Electronics, Poly Paks, Burstein-Applebee, and probably others I'm forgetting at the moment.  The pain there was that we didn't have the internet, and my parents didn't have a credit card, and I didn't have a checking account, and long-distance phone calls were prohibitive in price and sound quality, so I had to fill out order sheets, give my parents the cash and get them to write a check, mail it and hope I didn't make any mistakes like in the shipping cost, then wait for the check to clear before the company would send the stuff.  I went through the process many times though.

I also hooked up with a few radio amateurs who helped me.  One gave me quite a bit of surplus equipment himself, most of which I took apart for the parts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:30 pm 

I was buying stuff from Allied and Newark in the late 1950s, all tubes of course. There were no Radio Shacks in our area. Allied continued to stock receiving electron tubes (valves) up until at least the latter 1980s, all American, British and German brands. They also stocked some commercial tube types, such as the 803 and 807, which we used in home-built ham radio transmitters.

Ah, the good old days when a stereo amplifier helped to keep the living room warm in the winter. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:50 pm 

You might enjoy this very short video from London's Science Museum:
Information Age: The radio transmitter that changed our world
(They've just opened a new gallery - there's also a video about LEO, the first business computer, and there's a series of short radio programs too.)

See here for more details about the exhibition.

Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:09 pm 

BigEd wrote:

LEO was an amazing breakthrough. Who would have thought that a cake company would rig up something like that? Even more amazing was the extent to which LEO automated the Lyons company's daily operations. Considering how primitive the hardware of the time was, as well as the lack of programming tools, it was a major feat to get the system up and running.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:13 pm 

I firmly recommend Georgina Ferry's book:
http://www.ianhopkinson.org.uk/2012/07/ ... ina-ferry/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:52 pm 

Big Ed wrote:
You might enjoy this very short video from London's Science Museum
Thanks, Ed -- definitely some interesting content there. Over and above that, I can't help being impressed with the upbeat animation techniques used in the videos -- particularly the one about LEO. It's remarkable how much they've managed to enliven the source material (which consists mostly of still images). :shock:

As for parts sources, like Garth I remember the neighborhood Mom & Pop surplus/electronics stores, and also Allied and Lafayette. The latter were even more problematic for me than for Garth, due to border & customs issues, but that didn't stop me from poring over their catalogs and dreaming up problems for the solutions they contained! Those catalogs served both for inspiration and as an educational resource.

Another major source of parts for me was discarded TV sets, which in my teen years were black-and-white models powered by vacuum tubes. The easy pickings included tubes and transformers, but I also amassed a collection of resistors & capacitors which, according to the style of the day, had been hand-wired point-to-point on phenolic terminal strips. (No printed-circuit boards in these sets!) Of course only an over-zealous teenager would've bothered salvaging carbon composition resistors & paper-dielectric capacitors -- and selenium rectifiers! The stuff was junk, and had little value even when new. :roll:

OTOH I have no ambivalence about my decades-old collection of vacuum tubes. Definitely worth keeping! Some of those tubes are used in vintage audio gear -- for example, my brother's Hammond organ... and BDD's Ampeg bass amplifier (a few years ago I sent 'im a pair of well-seasoned 6SL7 twin triodes)! :D

cheers
Jeff

Last edited by Dr Jefyll on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:18 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
...and BDD's Ampeg bass amplifier (a few years ago I sent 'im a pair of well-seasoned 6SL7 twin triodes)!

And they're still on the job. Can't say the same for the Russian 6L6GCs—those are good for about 9 to 12 months of service before they start to lose steam. I used up the last of my NOS 6L6s about five years ago. :cry: The ones that are still available go for big bucks, and are suspect, as some will gas out after a few hours of hard use..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:12 am 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
Another major source of parts for me was discarded TV sets, which in my teen years were black-and-white models powered by vacuum tubes. The easy pickings included tubes and transformers, but I also amassed a collection of resistors & capacitors which, according to the style of the day, had been hand-wired point-to-point on phenolic terminal strips. (No printed-circuit boards in these sets!) Of course only an over-zealous teenager would've bothered salvaging carbon composition resistors & paper-dielectric capacitors -- and selenium rectifiers! The stuff was junk, and had little value even when new. :roll:

Yep, I did all that, although a lot of the TVs and radios and record players I took apart had primitive single-sided phenolic PC boards, with PCB-mount tube sockets.  So yes, I collected a lot of even 1/2W carbon-composition resistors with short leads.  :lol:   They were mostly 20%, and almost predictably, 20% high.  Once in a while one still comes in handy when my hundreds of thousands of 1/8W carbon-film resistors won't dissipate enough. I was given a lot of military surplus too, and that stuff was built to take a bomb blast.  It was very difficult to take apart!

When I was active in amateur radio in 1977-1984, one character I talked to frequently was living out in the sticks in New Zealand and it sounded like he built his equipment from parts that fell out of the sky in the last world war.  He was funnier than a rubber crutch!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:20 am 

Some nice details in that article about selenium rectifiers - thanks Jeff!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenium_r ... eplacement

In the 70s there were independent (Mom & Pop) TV shops (stores) which had surely grown out of radio - they would do repairs, and rent out equipment, and sell refurbs pretty cheap. I bought at least a couple big black & white sets (valve-based) which got some use as computer monitors. People were moving to colour TV of course.

A few years earlier I remember a tiny little shop where I bought roll film for my Brownie. It wouldn't surprise me if that place also dealt with spares for radios.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:43 pm 

Attachment:
large selenium rectifier.jpg
large selenium rectifier.jpg [ 104.2 KiB | Viewed 1487 times ]
Selenium rectifiers can still be spotted nowadays in booster/chargers for car batteries, but AFAIK all their other applications have disappeared. The unit above is one of a pair, fed by a very hefty center-tapped transformer. :shock:

At the other end of the spectrum -- more brain than brawn -- it appears selenium rectifiers, like silicon diodes, have been used as logic elements. I wish I had more info to provide, but the photos below show the partially scavenged carcass of some sort of automatic billing or accounting machine that was given to me ages ago. I surmise that the rectifiers (the green plates) were wired together to serve as OR gates, with the outputs going either to relay coils or to solenoids in an attached printer. The "logic" supply was probably unfiltered and unregulated 90 VDC, obtained via a bridge rectifier fed directly from the 120 VAC mains.
Attachment:
GEDC1516.JPG
GEDC1516.JPG [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 1487 times ]
Attachment:
GEDC1549 .JPG
GEDC1549 .JPG [ 1.8 MiB | Viewed 1487 times ]
Attachment:
GEDC1583 .JPG
GEDC1583 .JPG [ 1.63 MiB | Viewed 1487 times ]

There's a Wikipedia page for the manufacturer, Friden, here.

There's another Friden machine which I learned much more about -- in fact, I hacked it! Back when I was a beginner I had a Friden Flexowriter which I managed to interface to my first computer, a MOS KIM-1. The Flexowriter was my first printer. Later I bought a wide-carriage, state-of-the-art dot-matrix (!), but it was the Flexowriter which first allowed me to generate hard copy computer output. What's more, I could do paper tape, too! :mrgreen:

cheers
Jeff
Attachment:
718px-Flexowriter.JPG
718px-Flexowriter.JPG [ 77.67 KiB | Viewed 1487 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:58 pm 

A picture of horror and a picture of beauty! Excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:39 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
At the other end of the spectrum -- more brain than brawn -- it appears selenium rectifiers, like silicon diodes, have been used as logic elements.

Yep! The electrical controls on some older railroad cars and even some locomotives used selenium rectifiers in that way. I also ran into that sort of application in automatic block signal logic.

Quote:
I wish I had more info to provide, but the photos below show the partially scavenged carcass of some sort of automatic billing or accounting machine that was given to me ages ago.

Looks like the rats got to the wiring. :lol:

Quote:
There's another Friden machine which I learned much more about -- in fact, I hacked it!

When I was going to electronics school at Great Lakes Naval Training Center (north of Chicago), I was introduce to the Friden Flexowriter. This one was connected to a ballistic computer, which was all tubes. The Flexowriter was the main competitor to the Tele-Type model 33 and was used by the U.S. Navy in some shore installations. The 33 was based on a design originally developed for the U.S. Navy, with the mechanism sufficiently ruggedized to withstand the shock and vibration caused by firing the main guns. We had two such TTYs in the radio room and almost enough parts in stock to build a third one.