6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:56 pm 

Quote:
Lewis Kornfeld, who died Friday at the age of 97 in Fort Worth, Texas, was the president of Radio Shack in 1977 when he saw a grand future for the personal computer

When Kornfeld and Radio Shack debuted the TRS-80 in 1977, the personal home computer market was wide open. With no major player dominating consumer's pocketbooks, and no perceived consumer need for this technology, the future was unknown.

The TRS-80 microcomputer was priced at just $599.95 and stood in stark contrast to the build-it-yourself machines available to super technical hobbyists at the time. It was a rudimentary machine by today's standards, but it was a revolution in all-in-one technology and price at the time.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57598 ... ks-trs-80/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:29 pm 

I wasn't interested in computers yet at that time, but I wish I had kept the RS catalogs—not necessarily all of them, but at least one every few years.  You can see old RS catalogs at http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/ .  I remember most of those.  Today almost no one knows what a radio shack was.  In the early decades of amateur radio, the equipment was very large and always required large antennas.  The tube-type equipment produced heat and overall was probably considered to be unsightly by the hams' wives, so hams often built a separate shack behind the house to be their "man cave" where they kept and operated their amateur radio equipment.  That was the radio shack.  I knew two old hams who had this kind of thing when I was getting into amateur radio in my mid teens in the mid 1970's, although in their case they walled off part of the garage.  One of them was the model of beauty you'd see featured in the amateur radio magazines, QST and 73.  To me it was heaven.  He had thousands of dollars invested (maybe not the best word!) in it, back when that was more money than it is today.

TRS-80 seemed to just mean Radio Shack though, as various TRS-80's were not particularly related as far as I can tell.  There were the desktop computers, then the "laptop" model 100 which is apparently the last computer Bill Gates did a major portion of the programming on, then there were pocket computers which were private-labeled Sharps and/or Casios.

I remember the "Computer Center" signs on Radio Shacks that had the computer section.  They were trying so hard to look professional, with a businessman-looking man in a suit (as opposed to a kid) manning that section.  I went to Radio Shack quite frequently in those days before I had such an inventory of my own parts, and before we had the internet which made ordering parts so easy.  I did sometimes order from Lafayette and Burstein-Applebee and maybe another one (I later found Newark, and I don't think Mouser and Digi-Key existed yet, although maybe Jameco did), but you had to make up and order sheet, add up all the weights and sizes to figure out shipping and so on, write a personal check, wait for the mail to reach them, wait for the check to clear, etc..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:00 am 

My first experience on a computer was an IMSAI 8080, at school, but soon after it was a TRS-80. Soon after, though, I had my own KIM-1, but I also had a programmable calculator -- a rebadged TI (I'm guess a TI-55) from, you guessed it, Radio Shack.

My father bought the TRS-80 for doing engineering work. Model 1, expansion interface, I have no idea how much RAM it had, "all of it", I imagine, knowing my father. He also had a disk drive or two, and printer that printer on aluminum coated paper with electric sparks. I can't speak much to the printouts save that they photocopied really well. I recall him calling me in to his office to point out that on the Model 1 that the BUSRQ, Bus Request, pin was tied to the tristate logic on the address bus, which implied that when you requested the bus, the address bus would "go away" before the CPU acknowledge the request (via BUSAK). He just smiled and shook his head. He was trying to DMA a device in to the machine.

He passed, late last year, and I actually found that TRS-80 in his house, in boxes, unused. I tried to hook it up really quick, but couldn't get it to start. In the end, I had to send it off to auction, I couldn't bring it home with me.

But that was a treasure to find. Not just a computer of the same model as what I first learned upon, but THE computer, over 30 years old.

Radio Shack was the first company to really make computers a consumer item. They had the hardware, software, accessories, and the store fronts necessary to push the micro computer in to the public eye, and out of the nichey boutiques where Apples and what not were available.

Having loitered and trespassed in to my share of these small stores, they were pretty uninviting to casual browsers compared to the neat, boxes, packed in plastic and racked on the walls displays at Radio Shack and the RS Computer Centers.

My father had two of the disk drives. These drives came self contained in their metal housing: drive and power supply. No wall warts here, just a 120V cable plugged straight in to a monster transformer stuck on the back. But install was simply plug it in to the wall and connect the edge connector to the Expansion Interface. No hood cracking, inserting boards, etc. Consumer friendly.

The Model 100, I still have mine, is a GREAT piece of hardware. In another thread someone mentioned someone who still used the Model 100 to write articles. The keyboard on the M100 is excellent, one of the best I've ever used. The editor is fast and simple, with word wrap and searching. The screen was 40 char wide, but you could use the terminal program to upload the text files, and when you did that, you could change the margins. So it was easy to upload the file as 80 characters wide (where it would insert CRs for you). Really practical and useful for short-medium articles.

And it lasted forever on AA batteries.

It was also quite light, since it didn't have huge batteries. It was more a sign of the size of micro electronics at the time than anything else. Turns out #2 pencils with the erasers still on, just a couple wraps of tape, and cut to length made perfect little feet for the M100 to give you a little better typing angle.

They also marketed pocket computers, rebadged SHARPS with 1K of RAM and BASIC.

That was the power of Radio Shack. They were ubiquitous, they were everywhere. Before the big box stores, they had everything. They always had the most amazing things at xmas time. I had one of their Yellow Flavor Radios.

While RS sold parts, they were a consumer store, selling consumer electronics. Pushing the TRS-80 in to the mainstream was a pretty risky move, since it really was a hobbyist dominated market at that time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:00 am 

All I remember back in the day was they were very expensive computers and the software could cost as much or more than the computer. The CAD programs were really really expensive. I remember they had their niche following and they had a line of people coming to see them and they were talking dominance which was scary.

My sister had a Coco color computer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:19 pm 

Garth's description reminded me of a place I used to order from back in those days. Anyone remember a surplus supplier on the east coast called Poly-Paks?

Cheerful regards, Mike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:40 pm 

Michael wrote:
Anyone remember a surplus supplier on the east coast called Poly-Paks?

Sure do.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:09 pm 

Ah yes!  When I was a poor teenager, I'd get their packs and spend time sorting them after they arrived.  My time is too valuable now to do that.  It would be fun to see a scan of an old Poly-Paks catalog though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:21 pm 

The first real computer I got to put my hands on was a TRS-80, a model 3, I think. A friend of my got it as a present from his father, and we sat in his room for hours and taught ourselves BASIC, which for some reason involved reams and reams of paper. I can remember being absolutely blown away by the machine. You typed a character, and you could delete it on the screen! It would do math problems!

Then, the first computer I actually owned myself was a VC-20 (that's VIC-20 outside of Germany). It had this super cool CPU you could program assembler on ... oh, what was its name again ... ah ... tip of my tongue ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:54 am 

I think I read somewhere that in Germany the name VIC-20 was problematic, because the word 'vic' has some negative meaning...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:11 pm 

enso wrote:
I think I read somewhere that in Germany the name VIC-20 was problematic, because the word 'vic' has some negative meaning...

A friend of mine who was originally from Nuremberg noted the VIC issue back when the C-64 went on sale and everyone was raving about the VIC-II chip. I don't recall the details anymore. Perhaps one of our German members could enlighten us. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:56 pm 

Well, send the children to their rooms ...

The "v" in German has a "f" sound -- think verboten, which is pronounced "fair-BOAT-en". If you now know that there is a verb ficken, which visually resembles it's English counterpart, and a noun that is even closer (the -en is the infinitive), you can understand why "VIC" was just not going to work. "VC" was called "Volkscomputer", if I remember.

I'm sure this all goes back to Latin, somehow. It usually does.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:49 pm 

scotws wrote:
Well, send the children to their rooms ...

The "v" in German has a "f" sound -- think verboten, which is pronounced "fair-BOAT-en". If you now know that there is a verb ficken, which visually resembles it's English counterpart, and a noun that is even closer (the -en is the infinitive), you can understand why "VIC" was just not going to work. "VC" was called "Volkscomputer", if I remember.

I'm sure this all goes back to Latin, somehow. It usually does.

Ah, yes, now I remember. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:48 pm 

My first computer was a VIC-20. I have that as the number plate number on my car now! I have at home a couple of Casio PB-100 handhelds which were also sold as the Tandy TRS-80 PC-4: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=1000

Speaking of odd pronunciations we have lots of 'naughty' sounding place names in New Zealand since in the Maori language a 'Wh' is pronounced as an 'F' in English. One of the north Island ski fields is called Whakapapa.

Simon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:44 pm 

Simon wrote:
Speaking of odd pronunciations we have lots of 'naughty' sounding place names in New Zealand since in the Maori language a 'Wh' is pronounced as an 'F' in English. One of the north Island ski fields is called Whakapapa.

Urk! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:53 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
A friend of mine who was originally from Nuremberg noted the VIC issue back when the C-64 went on sale and everyone was raving about the VIC-II chip.

With more sleep, I realize (duh) that the VIC-II has an additional level of humor. Fick is imperative mood, and the construction "imperative+2" immediately reminds anybody who grew up in Germany of the candy Nimm2 ("take two", http://www.nimm2.de/de). Can't stand them myself, but there you go.