6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Microtan 65 schematic
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:07 am 

Hi,

Has anyone got a readable version of the Microtan 65 schematic? There are a couple of versions on the internet but all of the ones that I have come across are barely legible. Incidentally, if anyone has schematics for the other boards (Tanex, Tandos etc) I would be greatful.

My bizzare idea is try and replace as much of the discrete video generation logic in some sort of programable logic device (not FPGA - they're too expensive!) and make an 'updated' version. I must be mad but you know how illogical you can be about your first love :D

Incidentally, a Microtan and Tanex combination has just been sold for over 300 pounds sterling (currently about $560 or 450 euro!). I just wish that my dad hadn't thrown his out a couple of months ago....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:31 pm 

The only half-way reasonable ones I know of are these scans of originals... they're a bit scrappy but they should be legible with a Texas Instruments yellow book :)

http://www.ifrance.com/oric/IMAGES/microtan_main.png and http://www.ifrance.com/oric/IMAGES/microtan_tanex.png

I was so tempted by that microtan65 that was eBay last week, but as I'd just bought a laptop I had a feeling Financial Controller might not be too amused. Shame - it was the first real computer I had, and even at the end of its life I was using a 256kB CP/M box as a terminal/file store for it.

(The first computer was an MK14 Sinclair... still got that one but its proms have died, got the new proms but no blatter...)

I did come across this, though, has to be worth a punt? http://oric.ifrance.com/oric/microtan/microtan2000.html

Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:10 pm 

Neil,

Thanks for the pointers; I think that I have managed to identify most of the components on the schematics - if memory serves me then all of the chips were standard TTL (well, 20 years ago it was!) with no esoteric parts except for the character generator. I built my Microtan from a 'failed' PCB that I got from a surplus shop and then made up a 2716 with a shift register and a bit of logic to glue it all together. It's a real shame that it got lost during a house move.

So, that's two Microtan 65s in the ground somewhere and that one on eBay sold for over three hundred quid!

Thanks for the pointer to the 'Microtan 2000' although an email was returned 'user unknown'. I'll try again.

Simon