6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:08 pm 

On Fab's Commodore page Bil Herd tells the long and winding story of getting the c128 finished (sort of) for the 1985 CES

Quote:
So to recap, going into December we had a chip with .001% yield, the left columns didn't work, anytime there was one pixel by itself you couldn't see it, the semi useless block transfer didn't work right, the power supply had to be adjusted for each chip, and it blew up before you loaded all of the fonts unless you took 10 seconds to load the fonts in which case it blew up only sometimes.

Quote:
Upon arriving at the hotel we find that out hotel reservations have been canceled by someone who fits the description of an Atari employee

Much reduced, cleaned up and presentable version here

if that's too long, a few highlights here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:16 am 

I think the Commodore 128 is the most under-represented 8-bit computer in mankind's history. So much effort went into it, both in hardware and system software. It was a paragon of excellence on so many levels. Yeah, the VDC chip was flakey, but I've also seen it do some amazing things too. The SID chip was different from that used in the C64 (but not the C64C), but it still sounded awesome. The keyboard was a dream to type on compared to the C64 breadbox. And so on.

I've often considered acquiring another Commodore 64 for myself, but all things considered, I think I'd rather have the C128. It needs some serious love.