6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cheap 65c816 compiler
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:41 pm 

I've tried to get LCC to work on barebones 65265 mcu but the task is next to impossible, thanks to wings deps.
However, on random surfing I found http://store.syndicomm.com/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=62 which will run on http://kegs.sf.net apple IIgs emulator with apple abandonware license system 6 and allows own libs, is full ide etc.
Is the usd 40 too much to pay for such nice piece of software?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:11 am 

You could search ebay or something to see if someone is selling a cheaper copy, but beyond that, it comes down to whether $40 is worth it to you. If you need a C compiler and don't want (or have the time) to add support for the 65816 to LCC or GCC, then ORCA/C may be the simplest way to get from point A to point B. There probably won't be any support for it, but it's a mature product (and was, I believe, relatively popular for a C compiler), so there shouldn't be too much in the way of bugs. It doesn't appear that source code is provided, so you may want to consider whether you'll want/need to modify the compiler itself.

I never used the ORCA products, but they provided a UNIX-like environment for the Apple IIgs, and were oriented around using the Apple IIgs toolbox routines (as such, it uses that style of parameter passing). There weren't many C compilers available for any of the Apple II models, so I don't know how well (if at all) it optimizes code, if that's important to you. ORCA/M is the corresponding macro assembler, and I there may have been an ORCA/Pascal product as well -- I don't remember for sure.

That's my $0.02.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:26 am 

got orca C around somewhewre, enever did use it though. Thanks on the KEGS linking, it shows a game I did music for, Wolf 3D. Ah, memories :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:52 pm 

Bor_Ed wrote:
I've tried to get LCC to work on barebones 65265 mcu

Did you have a look at Toshi Morita's LCC port? It's on this site under Tools/Compilers. It seems that it isn't quite complete* but might be a good starting point?

Ed

* see viewtopic.php?p=5017&highlight=#5017

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:10 pm 

BigEd wrote:
Bor_Ed wrote:
I've tried to get LCC to work on barebones 65265 mcu

Did you have a look at Toshi Morita's LCC port? It's on this site under Tools/Compilers. It seems that it isn't quite complete* but might be a good starting point?

Ed

* see viewtopic.php?p=5017&highlight=#5017

It outputs a file that uses some ORCA/M macros, and I forgot to include the ORCA/M macros in that package.

I'll try to resurrect my Apple //gs to see if I can find the disk with the macros on them. It may take a while, as I haven't used the //gs in a while, and I'm not sure if I still have a valid GS/OS boot disk around.

Toshi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:01 pm 

That would be great!

Cheers
Ed

Post subject: A new 65816 c compiler
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:55 pm 

Very interesting development: Ulrich Hecht has added a 65816 backend to Fabrice Bellard's Tiny CC, and modified the WLA macro-assembler to suit.

It's for SNES but I hope it isn't too difficult to tweak it for other 65816 systems (in my case, emulated systems)

http://code.google.com/p/snes-sdk/

"SNES-SDK is a C toolchain and libraries targeting 65816 systems, specifically the Super NES (aka Super Nintendo, Super Famicom). It consists of a version of TCC equipped with a 65816 code generator and modified versions of WLA-DX (assembler and linker) and SNES9x (emulator for running the test suite). It is extremely hacky and very unpolished, but it passes a substantial part of the GCC test suite and even has floating-point support."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:14 pm 

Been a while as I've had time for belowed hobby...
I purchased the Orca/C setup and installed it to kegs hard drive image.
I'm currently trying to get a grip again on C language itself as well as how Orca works in general to be able to get standard library built for '265 target.
Can't say I'm that much of a hardware or even low level software person so I try to go from where the fence is lowest or has hole it in the designs :D