6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Good 65816 monitor?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:25 pm 

I am looking for a 65816 machine language monitor with 4k size at max (given that load/save/character out/keybd in are provided by the OS). And it should be open source.

I have a 6502 monitor in 4k with some advanced features that I could take out, but I can imagine that a 65816 assembler/disassembler requires quite more space than just 6502.

My goal is to integrate it into my Micro-PET ROM, replacing the @mon I currently use but which is 6502 only.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
André

Post subject: Re: Good 65816 monitor?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:57 pm 

My SBC-3 monitor used a modified version of the SBC-2 monitor and included disassembly of 65816 code. I would not classify is as "Good", but the source is given and you can take out the parts you don't need and most likely get it under 4k. it was loosely based on the Apple 2 Monitor. It is dumb in relation to 8 bit and 16 bit immediate values, but I worked around it with 2 disassembly commands - one forced 8 bit and the other forced 16 bit.

Feel free to have a look. https://sbc.rictor.org/download/sbc3.zip ... in the SysMon folder.

Daryl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:20 am 

fachat wrote:
I am looking for a 65816 machine language monitor with 4k size at max (given that load/save/character out/keybd in are provided by the OS). And it should be open source.

How about Supermon 816?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:49 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
How about Supermon 816?

Undoubtedly brilliant, unfortunately 641 bytes too heavy. Unless 4 KB isn't a strict limit.

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:05 am 

The plan is to have it in 4k.

But with all the other extensions I'm building into the ROM I may need to re-shuffle the memory map. I'll have a look what's most needed and maybe try to strip it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:36 pm 

barrym95838 wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
How about Supermon 816?

Undoubtedly brilliant, unfortunately 641 bytes too heavy. Unless 4 KB isn't a strict limit.

If the S-record loader isn’t needed, it wouldn’t be a challenge to excise those bytes.  I haven’t test-assembled without the loader, so I can’t say for sure 641 bytes would be removed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:14 pm 

fachat wrote:

But with all the other extensions I'm building into the ROM I may need to re-shuffle the memory map. I'll have a look what's most needed and maybe try to strip it.

How much ROM do you have?  When I morphed my POC V1.1 unit into V1.2 (with four TIA-232 channels and SCSI), I shuffled the memory map to increase ROM space from 8 KB to 12 KB.  That gave me more-than-ample room for the extra code needed to go with the hardware expansion, as well as to accommodate the monitor, to which I had added low-level SCSI command processing.  I retained the V1.2 memory map for V1.3, the latter which has 64KB of extended RAM, for a usable total of 112KB RAM, 12KB ROM and 2KB I/O space.

I wrote Supermon 816 with a focus on functional capabilities, with footprint a secondary consideration.  I suspect there are areas in the code that could be massaged to shrink the footprint, but I haven’t been motivated to undertake that process.  The source code is thoroughly commented, so please feel free to do some massaging if it will help.

I have attached a version that doesn’t have the S-record loader, but is otherwise identical to the version linked in my earlier post.  Removal of the loader shrinks the object code to 4,064 bytes.

Attachment:
File comment: SUPERMON 816, no S-record loader
supermon816c_no_srec.asm [171.66 KiB]
Downloaded 6 times

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:46 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
fachat wrote:

How much ROM do you have?  When I morphed my POC V1.1 unit into V1.2 (with four TIA-232 channels and SCSI), I shuffled the memory map to increase ROM space from 8 KB to 12 KB.  That gave me more-than-ample room for the extra code needed to go with the hardware expansion, as well as to accommodate the monitor, to which I had added low-level SCSI command processing.  I retained the V1.2 memory map for V1.3, the latter which has 64KB of extended RAM, for a usable total of 112KB RAM, 12KB ROM and 2KB I/O space.

I wrote Supermon 816 with a focus on functional capabilities, with footprint a secondary consideration.  I suspect there are areas in the code that could be massaged to shrink the footprint, but I haven’t been motivated to undertake that process.  The source code is thoroughly commented, so please feel free to do some massaging if it will help.

I have attached a version that doesn’t have the S-record loader, but is otherwise identical to the version linked in my earlier post.  Removal of the loader shrinks the object code to 4,064 bytes.

Attachment:
supermon816c_no_srec.asm

I briefly looked at it - looks very nice.

I noticed some macros - which assembler does it need to build?

In the intro it says it's native mode - so if I normally run in emulation, I'll have to create a wrapper. Anything in particular to look at when exiting? Does it exit at a single location only ("X" command)?

Thanks
André

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:07 am 

fachat wrote:
I noticed some macros - which assembler does it need to build?

It builds in the Kowalski assembler, version 1.3.4 or later, available on Daryl’s website.  Kowalski’s macro language is straight-forward, so it shouldn’t represent much of an obstacle to building in some other assembler.  I’m gathering that you want to be able to assemble it in the xa assembler.  That shouldn’t be too difficult to achieve.

Quote:
In the intro it says it's native mode - so if I normally run in emulation, I'll have to create a wrapper.

Yes, the monitor is 100 percent native mode.  It will not run in emulation mode, unless you are prepared to do a lot of modification.

Quote:
Anything in particular to look at when exiting? Does it exit at a single location only ("X" command)?

The exit via the X command is the only exit back to the environment.  The exit uses JML to allow an exit to code in any bank, including the one in which Supermon 816 is running.

Your main concern will be what happens if running in emulation mode and a BRK instruction kicks you into the monitor.  That will not end well, since the monitor implictly expects the 816 to be in native mode when a BRK is processed.  The stack will be all wrong if BRK occurs in emulation mode.