6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:34 am 

c65 provides pseudo functions .STRING and .IDENT that let you convert a string literal to a symbol and vice versa. Can I do that in 64tass? Things like str, repr and format seem to operate on the *content* of the symbol, whereas I want its name.

e.g. if i have a symbol fubar and I want to generate .text "fubar" or conversely I have a string "fubar" (e.g. in a macro) and want to generate the symbol fubar.

note: the manual mentions macro text references via @1 which seems potentially relevant but this is gated to tasm-compatibility mode where a bunch of tass64 features I'm already using no longer work. But it gave me some hope that there would be some other way to do it in normal mode.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:57 pm 

Some progress: progress! some code browsing and experiments with `type` and `repr` helped me start to understand the 64tass type system. if I have code like:
Code:
foo: nop

then `foo` has `code` type, and `repr(foo)` uses its address, but the dot operator (mentioned once in passing in the doc) makes `.code` a symbol, and `str(.foo)` gives the literal `"foo"`. I still can't figure out how to go the other way, from the literal to the symbol, but this is enough for what I need. I thought maybe `."foo"` or an explicit `symbol("foo")` but doesn't seem like `symbol` is exposed like that