STA  HIRESL
             LDA  YVERTH,Y  ; LOOK UP HI BYTE OF LINE
             ADC #0         ;handle carry from LSB addition <<<———
             STA  HIRESH
             LDA  TEMP
             STA  SLNGH     ; RETORE VARIABLE FROM SETUP
             LDY  #$00
             RTS

The highlighted instruction appears to be missing.

The way the Apple II screen memory is laid out you don't have to worry about carry out per scanline. One of the few consolations to the Apple II video memory organization.

OIC.  I'm not familiar with the Apple II hardware.

Woz was apparently able to save a few chips by using a convoluted (at least to software) layout. It's exactly this reason that the book quoted by the OP was such a watershed moment for all of us kids trying to wrap our adolescent brains around the Apple II's internals. I still have my copy, held together with packing tape.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:49 pm 

resman wrote:
Woz was apparently able to save a few chips by using a convoluted (at least to software) layout. It's exactly this reason that the book quoted by the OP was such a watershed moment for all of us kids trying to wrap our adolescent brains around the Apple II's internals. I still have my copy, held together with packing tape.

It seems all the microcomputers of that era had baroque video setups, a lot of it the result of trying to minimize the chip count.  The VIC used in the Commodore 64 and 128 was downright hostile to being operated in bit-mapped mode.  At least the VDC in the C-128 was logical in its use of video memory whilst in bit-map mode.  The VIC, on the other hand, needlessly complicated the arithmetic required to compute the byte offset in video RAM (which was system RAM) that had to be twiddled to set or clear a pixel.  Of course, the VDC had its own annoyances...

Speaking of the C-128, I look at its architecture and wonder how in hell the thing manages to function and be stable.  Bil Herd and company had a major timing quagmire on their hands with that thing, especially with interfacing a Z80 to a 6502-style bus.  :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:45 am 

Quote:
The VIC used in the Commodore 64 and 128 was downright hostile to being operated in bit-mapped mode.

Part of that was practically reusing the character generator logic to do the hi-res screen, though this wasn't unusual either (compare with the TMS9918A).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:59 pm 

resman wrote:
It's exactly this reason that the book quoted by the OP was such a watershed moment for all of us kids trying to wrap our adolescent brains around the Apple II's internals. I still have my copy, held together with packing tape.

I believe that I have a low-mileage example stashed in my attic somewhere. If you PM me your snail mail address, I'll try to dig it up and send it to you, no charge, as a thank you for your contributions to the community.

Garth received my original BYTE Forth issue a few years ago, and seemed genuinely pleased to have the real Aug 1980 issue, yellowed and fragile as it was. Ethan Blanton on Ed's Retro Computing Forum received my original Applesoft Tutorial #A2L0018 and was similarly pleased. cbmeeks is the proud new owner of my Franklin Ace 2200, with detached keyboard, manual, and a few floppies, but it had suffered some rough handling, and was going to need a bunch of help before powering up. Charlie Gibbs received my early paperback edition of Heinlein's Expanded Universe.

My attic holds literally tons of stuff like that, and it pains me to realize that it's all slowly deteriorating without anyone to appreciate it before it inevitably ends up in a landfill after my passing (hopefully a few decades or more from now, but who knows?)

Attachment:
ag&agd.PNG
ag&agd.PNG [ 295.44 KiB | Viewed 2150 times ]

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)