6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:57 am 

W65C816S String Manipulation Library V3

I recently went through my 65C816 string manipulation library from top to bottom and made substantial revisions.  The extensively-commented source code, macros and a README detailing how the library works may be downloaded in ZIP format at http://sbc.steggy.net/files/code/stringlib.zip.  The library will assemble in the Kowalski assembler, as modified by Daryl Rictor (8Bit) to recognize the 65C816 instruction set.  An .opt proc65816,swapbin statement is required at the start of the main source file in order to successfully assemble the library.  The resulting object code is fully relocatable and will run in any bank.

The main improvement in version 3 is its code is completely bank-agnostic, thus treating memory as linear space.  Strings may be anywhere in the 65C816’s 16 MB address and may span bank boundaries, which wasn’t possible in version 2.  Code was tightened to improve execution speed and the macros (which are in a separate source file) have been enhanced to support direct-page, near and far parameter addressing.  As before, parameter passing is through the stack and internal workspace is also on the stack, making the library quite transparent to callers.

The README file in the ZIP explains all.

——————————
EDIT: FIxed a typo.

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:49 am 

Awesome thanks! That's exactly what I needed. Not just because I need a string library but also because I need examples of well written / well structured '816 assembly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:17 pm 

AndrewP wrote:
Awesome thanks!

You’re welcome.

Quote:
That's exactly what I needed.  Not just because I need a string library but also because I need examples of well written / well structured '816 assembly.

Dunno about the “well written / well structured” part...  :D