6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:17 pm 

Quote:
A Low-Level Language for Use on the MOS 6502 Microcomputer
A low-level language, GRASSHOPPER, was developed for use as a systems programming language on the MOS 6502 microcomputer. GRASSHOPPER was designed as an alternative to assembly language for systems programming, and its use requires some knowledge of the MOS 6502 hardware. To facilitate the writing of correct and readable programs, GRASSHOPPER includes three control structures used in the higher level structured languages, and provides five distinct data types.

Anyone knew about this one? I've been searching and found nothing...

https://archive.org/details/grasshopper-6502

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:19 pm 

tokafondo wrote:
Quote:
A Low-Level Language for Use on the MOS 6502 Microcomputer
A low-level language, GRASSHOPPER, was developed for use as a systems programming language on the MOS 6502 microcomputer. GRASSHOPPER was designed as an alternative to assembly language for systems programming, and its use requires some knowledge of the MOS 6502 hardware. To facilitate the writing of correct and readable programs, GRASSHOPPER includes three control structures used in the higher level structured languages, and provides five distinct data types.

Anyone knew about this one? I've been searching and found nothing...

https://archive.org/details/grasshopper-6502

Looks interesting - maybe the OSI fans might know something more (as it looks like it targetted that system at the time in 1981)

Shame no source code, but it looks like it might be possible to create it using a good macro assembler if someone felt the need.

A tiny bit of "internet stalking" finds her on the genealogy sites and Instagram though so she may be contactable if you felt the need...

-Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:05 pm 

An interesting find! I notice she does, during the course of development, reimplement two utilities in the new language. That's a good sign. It is low level though - perhaps best thought of as a structured assembler, as it stands, although I say that after only very lightly skimming.

As an MSc dissertation, it shows that a motivated person can design and implement a low level language like this in a reasonable time. Ideally, they'd tackle at least two: one to learn on and a second one to make use of what's been learnt.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:40 pm 

Can’t say that I’ve ever heard of it...and I’ve been writing 6502 code since the latter 1970s.