6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:16 am 

Hey everyone!

I've been coding for my next upcoming SBC, and I think I have found a pattern to my programming. I find that the first thing I program is a "Scratchpad" app, essentially print characters to screen as you type on the keyboard. Most of the time I include functionality to move the cursor freely around the screen, and sometimes inverted text or other special functions. The second and third things I program are a system monitor and a standard Tetris-clone. After that I tend to make a flavor of BASIC, and then more video games.

With all that said, what applications do you typically start with on a new build? Or what old applications to you port over? What are the first programs you have on your system to test it's capabilities? What are the most used and most useful applications for you?

I find that the Scratchpad is by far the most common and the most useful application, since I use it for math lessons with my daughter. It's also the first thing that pops up on boot.

Just wondering what types of software you tend to program for your SBC. What do program first? What do you tend to use most frequently?

Thanks!

Chad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:36 am 

I start with memory tests, I've started also using the Dormann suite, and rarely seem to get much further beyond that before getting distracted with a new interesting hardware design! With the "Fast PDIP" design I also wrote some test programs to stretch its legs a bit in terms of CPU speed - prime number searches, mandelbrot plotting, and a Life implementation. I also ported Gordon's GIBL and ran the BASIC mandelbrot plotter he has there.

My systems aren't really meant to be useful, they're all really proofs of concept - that's not to say they couldn't be useful to others, but I don't really have use cases in mind when I build them, so I also don't tend to use them in the long term. At best they're bases on which I can prototype other things (hence, mostly being on breadboards is very helpful and leaves them quite adaptable)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:01 am 

If you have multiple uart ports, I definitely have a terminal of some sort, never know when you may need it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:06 pm 

First, a "scream" program to send continuous stream of characters to terminal to check CPU and I/O
Next, a simple monitor to display/set memory, load/run program
Afterward are memory diagnostic, EhBASIC, Dormann suit if overclocking, DOS/65 if CF is available, Life if I2C or video available.
Bill