6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:28 am 

I'm trying to find the X-RAY Resident Assembler/Editor for the Synertek Sym-1 program, and the manual has the program listing. However, I've tried several OCR programs, and none are able to actually get the listing bytes out in any meaningful way. I guess I could try to hand enter it into a blank rom file, but that would take forever!

Does anyone have a copy of the program, or a good way to OCR a pdf source listing? The PDF doesn't even look bad!
http://www.6502.org/trainers/synertek/saturn/xray_users_guide_and_listing.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:32 am 

I'm not sure which OCR engine is being used by archive.org, but it seems to be quite good in the examples I've seen.

[Edit: I experimented, found out that it's tesseract 5.3.0-3-g9920, and concluded that it choked badly]

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:22 am 

Here's a tesseract OCR version told to use full page rather than the default which selects the listing as columns. It's going to need some editing :mrgreen: but it's a good start. The edge of left hand page and the clip binding don't help things...

Neil

edit: this is easy... I have an ongoing project to convert my entire library - about two and a half thousand books - to epub via scanning and OCR. Whether I will finish before I die of old age is an interesting question, but Analog SF&F just decided they can deliver in epub, which helps a little. Though I still have about fifteen years' of those to do.

Attachments:
xray.zip [7.65 MiB]
Downloaded 33 times
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:34 am 

GinDiamond wrote:
I guess I could try to hand enter it into a blank rom file, but that would take forever!

That estimate seemed a bit high, so I decided to try out the biological OCR engine resting between my ears, and came up with the attached, in WOZMON format (I don't know what the SYM-1 uses). This has been VERY lightly proof-read, so I make no guarantees regarding its usefulness.

Attachment:
XRAY.txt [8.48 KiB]
Downloaded 40 times

[Edit: Nine errors found so far ... see below for a better version.]

Last edited by barrym95838 on Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:04 am 

barrym95838 wrote:
GinDiamond wrote:
I guess I could try to hand enter it into a blank rom file, but that would take forever!

That estimate seemed a bit high, so I decided to try out the biological OCR engine resting between my ears, and came up with the attached, in WOZMON format (I don't know what the SYM-1 uses). This has been VERY lightly proof-read, so I make no guarantees regarding its usefulness.

A quick search found 1-Q and 2-S's that will have to be replaced. But other wise did a pretty good job. No O's for zeroes. The hardest hex bytes to decipher that may have got interchanged is an 8 for a B or vice versa. One may have to scan the monitor listing after being pasted and look for an instruction that looks out of place that contains one of these hex bytes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:35 am 

IamRob wrote:
A quick search found 1-Q and 2-S's that will have to be replaced.

Thank you. Those were typos, not OCR errors:

P.S. Found six more:
Code:
034B:20
04DE:C9
0505:40
07BD:B3
0997:38
0B70:80

Attachment:
XRAY.txt [8.48 KiB]
Downloaded 28 times

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:38 am 

barrym95838 wrote:
IamRob wrote:
A quick search found 1-Q and 2-S's that will have to be replaced.

Thank you. Those were typos, not OCR errors:

P.S. Found six more:
Code:
034B:20
04DE:C9
0505:40
07BD:B3
0997:38
0B70:80

Attachment:
XRAY.txt

Oh my gosh, thank you so much! Thats way more than I asked for!

Now I'm trying to figure out why SYMDOS no longer wants to save files to my sd card, tsk tsk! I can load files and read the directory just fine, but sometimes running the delete command hangs the system and yeah, saving completely hangs the drive and doesn't work at ALL. It makes a blank file with the filename and doesn't save anything from the ram. I tried with even 0200 to 0300, nope, nothing!