6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:23 pm 

Well done!

sburrow wrote:
So, if you are reading this, can I get some suggestions? I want to have a dozen or so basic programs that do something fun. Finding prime numbers was a good example. Anything else that could show off my BASIC and still be simple overall? Wasn't there a Hammurabi game that was pretty easy to create? I'm not looking for code from you, just ideas like, "Find prime numbers!" or something.

Thanks everyone!

Chad

I think it's hard to get some simple programs to engage a young person without being boring (like find prime numbers!) however times tables? Maybe see what she's currently learning at school/nursery/whatever it's called where you are?

If she's bright then some of the old 2D games from Creating computing? (PCC?)

https://bluerenga.blog/2019/03/15/befor ... nark-1973/

Or even Hunt the Wumpus if she can visualise a dodecahedron (although the classic version of that requires an array to manage the room data)

https://unicorn.drogon.net/wumpus.rtb

What about "snake" ? that may require some extras adding into your dialect - inkey (to see if a key is pressed) and text-mode character positioning...

Cheers,

-Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:26 pm 

Very nice! Some very random ideas:

• Hangman
  • Tic-tac-toe
  • Snake (always a classic)
  • Arithmetic trainer
  • ASCII charset explorer (useful for learning how text display works!)

Edit: I see that Gordon beat me to snake :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:34 pm 

Just out of curiosity, I see "GOTO 100" in the listing, but not a line 100. That not finding that line seems to be a termination condition, as there is no error message. Is that the default behavior when not finding a line, or does it have to be greater than any existing line?

It's your version of BASIC, of course, but wouldn't it be more intuitive to have an explicit "END" statement? I think it would be pretty easy to implement and, for what it's worth, subjectively more satisfying.

Part of learning is making mistakes, and it's nice if a beginning programming language can respond to them more or less gracefully. A message along the lines of "I can't find line (#)" (instead of "LINE NOT FOUND ERROR"), might be something to think about.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:52 pm 

teamtempest wrote:
Part of learning is making mistakes, and it's nice if a beginning programming language can respond to them more or less gracefully. A message along the lines of "I can't find line (#)" (instead of "LINE NOT FOUND ERROR"), might be something to think about.

Personally, I'm OK with somewhat terse errors like that, but I grew up with them....

I did see some complaining about something like this recently on a facebook thingy - I suspect it all stems from the days of "4K BASIC", etc. when RAM was expensive, so things needed to be terse, but today in a modern 6502 system we ought to have more than enough RAM to give nicer error messages, but old habits die hard!

-Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:23 pm 

Advent of Code is a nice source of fairly simple programming exercises, I'm trying to get my son to try it in various languages for practice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:51 pm 

drogon wrote:
Personally, I'm OK with somewhat terse errors like that, but I grew up with them...

In the late 1970s I started with WHAT? HOW? and SORRY on the 4KB TRS-80 model one level one. The excellent paper-and-ink documentation that came with the system was quite helpful in clearing up the confusion, but couldn't help much with the disappointment.

VTL02 is incapable of producing an error message. If your program commands it do something it can't do, it quietly and politely does something else it can do.

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

Last edited by barrym95838 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:15 pm 

sburrow wrote:
I'm a big fan of public domain stuff, so that I can use/modify/add/subtract/sell without any constraints. I do not believe EhBasic is public domain, correct? Say I wanted to sell my SBC as a kit at some point, putting EhBasic on it would not work, correct? Y'all help me here please, because I'm in the dark about copyrights and stuff.

Chad

From what I have seen in a quick online search, ehBasic is basically, "free to use, not free to sell":
Quote:
EhBASIC is free but not copyright free. For non commercial use there is only one restriction, any derivative work should include, in any binary image distributed, the string "Derived from EhBASIC" and in any distribution that includes human readable files a file that includes the above string in a human readable form e.g. not as a comment in an HTML file

... or in effect, Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial, but without all of the legal boilerplate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:35 am 

drogon wrote:
Or even Hunt the Wumpus if she can visualise a dodecahedron (although the classic version of that requires an array to manage the room data)

What about "snake" ? that may require some extras adding into your dialect - inkey (to see if a key is pressed) and text-mode character positioning...

Good suggestions, thank you. I like your wumpus game, but it does take visualization. The snake game is *currently* not possible because, as you said, inkey and text-positioning needs to be a thing. I had planned on putting those in, but stopped because of a few reasons.

CountChocula wrote:
Hangman
Tic-tac-toe
Snake (always a classic)
Arithmetic trainer
ASCII charset explorer (useful for learning how text display works!)

Good ideas, thank you. I already have a 'scratchpad' program, where you can freely type any keyboard characters on the screen, wherever you wish. Is that like the charset explorer?

teamtempest wrote:
Just out of curiosity, I see "GOTO 100" in the listing, but not a line 100. That not finding that line seems to be a termination condition, as there is no error message. Is that the default behavior when not finding a line, or does it have to be greater than any existing line?

It's your version of BASIC, of course, but wouldn't it be more intuitive to have an explicit "END" statement? I think it would be pretty easy to implement and, for what it's worth, subjectively more satisfying.

All very good points. Yes, the GOTO 100 basically goes to an empty line, which is ok because it will check for all 255 lines possible in it's designated code area. This makes it super slow without an END, so typically I've been using GOTO 255 to indicate the end.

I don't want to put in "END" because it uses a "D" which is a variable name. This program is very picky about letters!

And... it has no error detection at all.

barrym95838 wrote:
VTL02 is incapable of producing an error message. If your program commands it do something it can't do, it quietly and politely does something else it can do.

Just as Mike talks about, my program does whatever it *thinks* is right. No errors at all.

drogon wrote:
I suspect it all stems from the days of "4K BASIC"

Yep. Mine is nearly at the 4K mark right now. And I'm happy with that :)

So, another 'feature' I haven't told y'all is that keywords do not need to use all letters, so a re-coding of the previous primes example could look like:

Code:
1P"INPUT NUM ":INX
2A=2
3PA:P"\"
4A=A+1:IFA>XTG10
5C=A-1
6IFA%C=0TG3
7C=C-1
8IFC=1TG3
9G6
L
R

This allows for compressed data, so you can fit more program into the little RAM available (I think I have 10K set aside for as program/variable RAM).

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll be working on this throughout the days.

Chad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:27 pm 

Many games are going to require a source for random numbers. Have you implemented that yet?

Once you do that, a very simple game is high-low number guessing. This is what I wrote in Python:

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/pro ... /18852/161

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:43 pm 

BillG wrote:
Many games are going to require a source for random numbers. Have you implemented that yet?

Once you do that, a very simple game is high-low number guessing. This is what I wrote in Python:

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/pro ... /18852/161

Thanks for that, that's a simple idea that's good.

I do have random number generation. I was *highly* inspired by MINOL BASIC, a little-known variant that does a lot of what I do. It uses the ! symbol for random numbers, so that's what I used too.

Also, while I had the time, I decided to add a 'control break' by hitting Escape while running. That is good when you want to test it out with:

Code:
10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD\"
20 GOTO 10

I'm sure I'll add another little improvement here and there, but overall it's done. Thanks everyone! I'll show source code and all that eventually, when I'm ready to present my next creation.

Chad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:08 pm 

Hi!

drogon wrote:
Anyone up for coding a 'new' simplified BASIC in e.g. C for the 6502? I ported cc65 to my Ruby 6502 board, then I ported my nano-like editor to it to. It's about 1.5K lines of C and compiles to just under 16KB of object code and it ran very well, so a tiny basic in C with some simplified structure?

Very late reply ;)

What means "simplified"?

IMHO, my FastBasic ( https://github.com/dmsc/fastbasic ) is simple to program in, and very small (8kb for the full integer-only IDE).

It does not have line numbers, instead it uses a full-screen IDE (written in the same FastBasic), and it support many structured programming constructs:
- DO/LOOP, WHILE/WEND, REPEAT/UNTIL.
- Procedures with parameters (PROC/ENDPROC, called with EXEC or simply @).
- Arrays of floating point, integers, bytes and strings.

Also, it supports all Atari graphics commands, it has commands for sprites (Atari P/M graphics), and raster effects (DLI in Atari parlance).

I want to create a "barebones" version, but as it is written it needs support for input/output for the IDE, the porting should need:
- Support for print at given row/column, do cursor movement and insert/delete.
- Support for file load/save.
- And to allow compilation to a new binary file, it also needs the OS to support some form of binary-loaded file format.

Here is a video from one user: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMRcxHKqFUU , there are also a few tutorials.

Have Fun!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:51 am 

sburrow wrote:
I think I finished my "Acolyte BASIC". I now have all required math operators and INPUT (decimals only, no string input) as well. Fixed some bugs along the way of course. Attached is a picture of a "primes" program.

I find that doing:
PRINT "This " : PRINT X : PRINT ". That.\"

kind of annoying. I'd rather have:
PRINT "This ", X, ". That.\"

I might work on that soon, it wouldn't be the hardest thing to implement. We will see.

So, if you are reading this, can I get some suggestions? I want to have a dozen or so basic programs that do something fun. Finding prime numbers was a good example. Anything else that could show off my BASIC and still be simple overall? Wasn't there a Hammurabi game that was pretty easy to create? I'm not looking for code from you, just ideas like, "Find prime numbers!" or something.

Thanks everyone!

Chad

Just looking at your program, line 40 should have produced an error as the target for "GOTO 100" does not exist. This could cause problems down the road.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:51 am 

BillO wrote:
Just looking at your program, line 40 should have produced an error as the target for "GOTO 100" does not exist. This could cause problems down the road.

So, as Mike Barry was saying, this program will not give an error, ever. It will do what it thinks is best, even if that was not expected.

GOTO 100 when there isn't a line 100 means that the program will be looking for line 100. When it doesn't find it, it looks for line 101, then 102, ... and eventually it stops looking at 255 because that's my max line number. So, I probably should have said "GOTO 255" in the program so that I exit much quicker than from a "GOTO 100".

*shrug* That's just how I think I guess. Thank you.

Chad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:20 pm 

sburrow wrote:
So, as Mike Barry was saying, this program will not give an error, ever. It will do what it thinks is best, even if that was not expected.

Chad

Interesting approach. It my make troubleshooting difficult for a child though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:48 pm 

sburrow wrote:
BillO wrote:

GOTO 100 when there isn't a line 100 means that the program will be looking for line 100. When it doesn't find it, it looks for line 101, then 102, ... and eventually it stops looking at 255 because that's my max line number. So, I probably should have said "GOTO 255" in the program so that I exit much quicker than from a "GOTO 100".

*shrug* That's just how I think I guess. Thank you.

Chad

As someone who has worked on BASIC interpreters and compilers, that is not a good idea. It is very easy to just report that the target line does not exist and easy for the programmer to understand and fix the error.

Trying to do "something reasonable" to avoid reporting an error will just end up in a mushy mess of not truly deterministic spaghetti code.

Consider this: you try to enhance the program in the future and insert a new subroutine starting at line 200...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next