6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:36 am 

I've been trying to think of the best way to introduce and discuss this topic on the forum. It's not particularly 6502-related so far; but we should have more resources available on this website, or at least linked by this website, for doing math work on these processors. Most people on this forum would have almost no idea how to even do multiplication or division except what they can pick up in the "Code" section of this website. (How do you take a processor with only instructions like ADC, ASL, AND, etc. and make it find the square root or natural logarithm of 0.3179?) Many also don't realize that floating-point is not necessary for this, or for non-integers like pi at 3.14159..., huge numbers like Avogadro's number (6.022x10^23 molecules per mole), log and trig functions, square roots, FFTs, etc.. (In fact, I even hesitated to put "scaled-integer" in the title here because some people might ignore it, thinking they really need floating-point.) These things can be done with plenty of accuracy for many applications with only 16-bit (2-byte) cells and using 32-bit (4-byte) intermediate results, using fixed-point and scaled-integer math with less complexity and more efficiency than you get with floating-point.

I'd like to write an article for the website (another thing I don't have time for, nevertheless an ambition) on how to do it. [Edit: done in part, as the intro page to my large 16-bit scaled-integer math look-up tables on my website.] If I just go about it on my own however, there won't be anything posted for a long time, and I know that soon after it's posted someone like Bruce will probably come up with a more efficient algorithm for one thing or another. It would be good if we could confer on the subject and make a joint effort, and give everyone a chance to benefit long before it's ever finished (if indeed it could ever be considered finished, which I doubt). I've done quite a bit of this scaled-integer math already but will still benefit as much as anyone.

One issue I'd want to address is how to lay out the info in a way that everyone can understand. Very little of this kind of material is practical to do purely in assembly language. If very much is presented in assembly, macros could make it a lot more concise; yet some might even struggle with that. (I hope not.) OTOH, if some of the material is presented in Forth or C, others may be left out. (Where we use assembly, can we at least use a data stack?!)

This kind of material is supposedly plastered all over the internet; yet when it comes down to finding exactly what you're looking for, it's not easy. I've kept a lot of magazine articles on the subject over the years, and I'd still like to improve my resources a lot. My vision for this is that although some functions will be more involved than others, none of it should require a college degree in math or physics or engineering in order to take advantage of it. (I say this because the Ph.D. types like to get into long proofs that can be difficult or impossible for the layman to follow, even when there are ways to put it into layman's terms if they really tried.)

There can be different methods for the same function too, so there's a choice in speed versus precision or accuracy or complexity for example. We will want to inlude the different methods, or even the same method shown in different languages.

Mike, this probably should not have a cutoff date for everything to be compiled into one set-in-stone article, but rather always be open for additions, improvements, corrections, and of course questions on how something works if it was not explained well enough. Certainly anyone can come to this topic on the forum; but if it experiences a period of inactivity and slides down the list of topics, it won't be obvious that it's even there. To avoid having to skimp on some of the comments, I would like to have much longer lines than what's available when we use the "Code" option in forum posts. I suppose that the wider, the better; but I've been using 132 colums, and it's usually adequate. We may also want to post some equations or diagrams that don't work very well in just text. I don't expect to get everything on my wish list, but any ideas for solutions to these details would be welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:03 am 

A related topic is that of rational math. That is, you can represent quantities that you typically think of as a floating point entity using a ratio -- that's right -- a fraction.

For example, pi can be approximated as 3.14159 in floating point. 314159 in fixed-point representation, or 62831/20000 (the latter of which fits in two 16-bit, unsigned integers). The nice thing about rationals is that you can easily take the reciprocal of a quantity, by just swapping the numerator and denominator. By extension, dividing a quantity is *literally* implemented by multiplying by a reciprocal. Other operations are made slower, such as additiona and subtraction.

But, don't overlook the use of rationals. PC/GEOS used them extensively to perform its graphical transformations on a 4.77MHz IBM PC with an 8088 processor, and still was able to keep up with the user. PC/GEOS had vector fonts and a point-based graphical coordinate system (versus a pixel-based system) long, long, long before any other GUI could offer similar capabilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:06 am 

Also, I think it might be good to develop this material on a Wiki website. I'd be happy to provide a simple Wiki for this purpose, temporarily, on one of my domains. That way, the material never "falls off" the site, while still preserving the ability for anyone to go into a topic and update the material. Wikis excel at this form of communication. Cases in point: Wikipedia and the C2 Wiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:57 am 

> But, don't overlook the use of rationals.

Sure, that's part of what I intended.  In fact, that's how you get a tangent—just return both the sine and the cosine, since otherwise the tangent function has this nasty habit of going toward ±infinity as you approach ±90°, and the 16-bit range becomes woefully inadequate regardless of scale factor.

As for pi, 355/113 is about 15 times as accurate as 62831/20000, being good to over 8 digits.  65298/20785 is better than 355/113 by only a whisker, but the high numerator would be interpreted as a negative number in many cases with 16-bit cells.

There are quite a few more of these I'll post when we get started (like ln(10), e, sqrt(2), etc., etc.), with numerator/denominator combinations that are good to usually 9 or 10 digits.  I wrote a program to search for such fractions for other things people might want if I don't already have them.  [Edit, Jun 2012:  I posted them at http://wilsonminesco.com/16bitMathTable ... pprox.html along with large tables and explanations, with that section of my website indexed at http://wilsonminesco.com/16bitMathTables/index.html .]

I've been aware of wikis but am not really acquainted with them, so I'll need to hear how it works.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:44 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
If I just go about it on my own however, there won't be anything posted for a long time, and I know that soon after it's posted someone like Bruce will probably come up with a more efficient algorithm for one thing or another.

You have no idea how hard I laughed when I read this sentence. I seem to have acquired something of a reputation around here.

In terms of what language to use, I would say just pick one and go with it. Assembly is probably the best in terms of a common denominator, but you may never get a consensus. If you write an article about CRCs (not specific to any processor) with routines in C, someone will probably want a routine in Java, someone else in assembly, etc. Knuth invented his own assembly language for The Art Of Computer Programming because of the same question of language choice. If you post a routine in Forth, someone else could follow up with an assembly version, or a C version, etc.

As for using a data stack, there's going to be a certain amount of tailoring no matter what. At the very least, the assembler directives and syntax must be changed to match your assembler. A very good assembler would allow and correctly handle REG = 0,X or REG = $12 or REG = $1234 with:

Code:
NEGATE: SEC
        LDA #0
        SBC REG
        STA REG
        LDA #0
        SBC REG+1
        STA REG+1

which would give you a lot of flexibility. Unfortunately, not all assemblers can do so, but it could be faked with a search and replace if necessary. With the a certain amount of abstaction the routine can be used with a virtual register machine, a virtual stack machine, etc. without sacrficing effciency. Again, I would say just pick something and go with it, and if someone wants to follow up with a routine for a different model they are free (and welcome) to do so.

I've actually been considering a similar project both in topic and scale. I've felt it would be helpful to have a series of ready-to-go shift-and-add and shift-and-subtract assembly routines for integer multiplication and division. Using a larger than needed routine with zeroes in the upper bits works, but I'm talking about tailoring each routine so it is efficient for the case at hand. However, there are a huge number of variations, when you include width (8-bit * 8-bit to an 8-bit result, 8-bit * 8-bit to a 16-bit result, 8-bit * 16-bit to a 24-bit result, etc.), unsigned vs. signed (without just doing +/- abs(a)*abs(b)), BCD vs. binary, performing vs. skipping overflow checking, 8-bit (6502 and 65C02) vs. 16-bit (65816 native mode), etc. In this case it would be oriented toward how to use the routines rather than how they work, but something like what you're suggesting be a good idea for this sort of project also.

I second the wiki idea. I was thinking the exact same thing when I read Garth's original post. The way a wiki would be used is it would similar to the forum, except anyone can edit anyone else's article/posts at any point in the future. The forum is more discussion-oriented and organized by date, whereas wikis are typically more article-oriented and organized by subject. The forum would still be useful, since it's nice to have discussion separate from articles containing code, how to use it, and how it works. For example, random number generators tend to inspire a considerable amount of debate. There's nothing wrong with that -- certainly the pros and cons of the various approaches is worthwhile information to have -- but if you're looking for a RNG routine to use, it's easy for the code itself to get lost amongst the debate.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:28 am 

dclxvi wrote:
For example, random number generators tend to inspire a considerable amount of debate. There's nothing wrong with that -- certainly the pros and cons of the various approaches is worthwhile information to have -- but if you're looking for a RNG routine to use, it's easy for the code itself to get lost amongst the debate.

There is still good enough reason to have thread-mode discussion on a wiki though. It makes it convenient for refactoring purposes, so that when a thread gets sufficiently large enough, and supplies enough information, it's possible to essentially just cut-n-paste the information into reasonably written articles. Any superfolous thread-mode stuff can either be discarded, or moved onto a separate "document."

But, I agree, real disagreements should be maintained in something like phpBB, where it's designed primarily to support thread-mode discourse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:39 am 

Well, we haven't heard from Mike yet. He might be out of the country again. I wonder if he can set up the wiki here on this website. And since it is his website, I'd like to get his input on some of the things I brought up earlier, especially relating to languages and other aspects of how the material is presented.

I'll present my next two posts as a possible starting point for an article or collection of related articles on the subject. I have this conflict however between needing to give some background info and diving right into some algorithms. Background info is generally considered boring, but newbies will need some orientation in order to make use of what is to come (and hopefully even to contribute). I suppose the best thing is to just try to make it concise and interesting if possible. Some newbies will initially bypass it, dive into some algorithms, and then if they find they're lost, go back to the beginning and pick up the background info to better understand the material.

We'll need a good title to grab the attention of the person who thinks there's no way scaled-integer could be adequate for his application just because it's not floating-point.

Comments invited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:42 am 

Installment #1: Introduction to scaled-integer arithmetic (or: "Why you probably don't need floating-point")

What would you think if someone told you you don't need floating-point to do logarithms, inverses and fractions, trig, roots, digital signal processing functions, or handle gigantic ranges of numbers?

I was skeptical at first. It took me awhile to fully accept the idea, but years later now it seems like the only time I use floating-point is when I pick up my calculator. Floating-point has its place and is essential for some applications, but not as many as popularly thought.

You may have done some simple arithmetic on your 6502 creations but wonder how you could ever get past multiple-precision addition and subtraction. Imagine getting where you want to go with your project without the overhead and complexity of floating-point. Well, here it is.

http://home.iae.nl/users/mhx/sf5/sf5.html is chapter 5 of Leo Brodie's book "Starting Forth". [Edit: now Forth, Inc. has it with the original pictures here.] Starting about a third of the way down, it gives a reasonable introduction to fixed- versus floating-point math. Even if you're not familiar with Forth, it will still be mostly understandable, since it's mostly about the ranges and representations of numbers and not so much about how to do it in a particular programming language. (Don't even think about getting into Forth though, unless you want unlimited freedom and a several-times increase in productivity!)

Brodie says, "Fixed-point arithmetic is simply a method of storing numbers in memory without storing the position of each number's decimal point. For example, in working with dollars and cents, the values can all be stored in cents. The program, rather than each individual number, keeps track of the decimal point." Although it requires that the programmer pay closer attention to maximze use of the available range of numbers without overflowing that range, it removes a lot of run-time overhead, and lets you get away with a smaller, simpler kernel.

Fixed-point is a special simple case of scaled-integer arithmetic, where the basic unit is represented by a whole number. In the case of dollars and cents above, one dollar will be represented by exactly 100. Scaled-integer is not always this way though. In the case of angles or portions of a circle, various factors make it work out nicely to represent the circle with 65,536 if you have 16-bit cells. This means that each increment in the 16-bit cell is .0054932°, or .000095874 radians. One radian is approximately 10,430.4/65,536 of a circle. One degree is approximately 188.044/65,536 of a circle. Our 16-bit representation of 1 radian will be 28BE in hex. The representation for 1° will be B6. Why the oddball numbers? Consider that -90° is the same as +270°, +370° is the same as +10°, etc.. The natural wrap-around is appropriate; and without using floating-point, our resolution is still better than 20 arc-seconds.

In the case of the dollar above, every penny is represented by exactly one increment in the 16-bit cell (or 32-bit double number if we want to exceed 655 dollars and 36 cents in positive-only numbers, or +$327.67 to -$327.68 if negative numbers are allowed). That's fixed-point. In the case of the angles, we don't have an exact representation, or a nice place to put a decimal point regardless of number base, for the radian which is the unit used for calculating the trig functions, or even for the degree. We use scaled-integer here but not fixed-point per se.

All the functions we will be talking about can be pieced together with with components no more complicated than addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Well explained unsigned 6502 division routines can be found at http://www.6502.org/source/integers/umm ... modfix.htm . Bruce has another article in the works. http://www.6502.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=689 has routines to multiply two 16-bit unsigned numbers to get a 32-bit result. http://www.6502.org/source/integers/32muldiv.htm has routines to do 32-bit multiplications with a 64-bit result, and the vice-versa with division.

Often you'll want the division results to be rounded instead of truncated. To do that, add half the divisor's value into the dividend before dividing, and just drop the remainder after the division. (The divisor is the number you're dividing by. If you write the division problem like a fraction, the divisor is the denominator-- the number under the line.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:45 am 

Installment #2: Staying within bounds
Clearly you will want to use the 16-bit range to your advantage, without getting the numbers so big that they overflow while you're working on them. How do you do this? Suppose you had a number, 26,541 (in base ten) and wanted to multiply it by 2/3. Since 2/3 is between integers, the closest representation you can get directly (without scaling) is 1; but multiplying your 26,541 by 1 is not very useful and does not do what you're looking for.

If we first multiply by 2 and then divide the result by 3, we get 53,082, and finally 17,694. Unfortunately if we're using signed numbers, the 53,082 will get interpreted as a negative number (since the high bit of the 16-bit cell is set) and we end up with -12,454/3 which is -4,151, which is wrong any way you look at it. Even if we were not using signed numbers, you can see that multiplying anything above 32,767 by 2 will overflow. One thing we could do is to scale our numbers lower to avoid this, but then what if we need to multiply by 1.07? Leaving room to multiply by 107 and then divide by 100 sure wipes out a lot of our working range.

The better route is to use double-precision intermediate results. If we are calling 16 bits (two bytes) our standard cell size, then a double-precision number is represented by a 32-bit (four-byte) number, regardless of how many bits we actually need in the particular case. Now you could even take your 26,541 and multiply by 107 to get 2,839,887, and then divide by 100 to get the final result of 28,399 (rounded), which fits into a 16-bit cell just fine. In fact, Forth has an operator called */ (pronounced "star-slash") for precisely that purpose-- take the first number, multiply by the second to yield a double-precision intermediate result, and divide by the third, to get the final result in single-precision. I'll add another one later that rounds the result instead of just throwing away the fractional part or leaving it for separate treatment.

Nearly any constant you might use in the range of ±0.000030519 to 32767 (or ±0.000015259 to 65,535 if using unsigned numbers) can be approximated with different pairs of integers used as a fraction, most having an accuracy of at least 8 digits. If you want to multiply a number by the square root of two for example, first multiply by 239 and then divide your double-precision intermediate result by 169. This ratio's error is only -0.00088%, which is good enough for 16-bit work. 19601/13860 would be good approximation for the square root of 2 for 24-bit work, as it gives an error of only 0.00000013% (1.3E-9).

Since the denominator of the fraction can be 0, you can even represent infinity if you need to. Consider the tangent function, which we carry out by just returning both the sine and the cosine of the angle. (To get the cotangent, all you have to do is swap the two numbers.) Since they both range from -1 to +1, we can chose a scale factor of up to $7FFF, so -1 is represented by -$7FFF and +1 is represented by +$7FFF. The smallest possible increment in the output numbers is 1/32,767, or 0.000030519; yet non-negative outputs can range from 0/32,767 (for 0 at 0°), to 3/32,767 (for 0.00009 at 0.0055°), to 23,170/23,170 (for 1.00000 at 45°), to 32,767/3 (for 10,922 at 89.995°), to 32,767/0 (for infinity at 90°). Even without the "infinity at 90°", you would not be able to get this kind of range from a 16-bit cell; but if you go directly to a 32-bit tangent, it's less efficient to calculate, and less efficient to use in 16-bit arithmetic.

Now you may have already thought ahead a little to the situation where a scaled number is squared, or is multiplied by another number with the same scale factor, effectively squaring the scale factor, which is undesirable. The */ operator (or its equivalent) is again used to do the multiplication and then divide the double-precision intermediate result by the scale factor. This undoes the squaring of the scale factor.

To get more computational speed, you can use scale factors that reduce the division to nothing more than a logical-shift-right operation. $7FFF was used above for maximum precision in the sine, cosine, and tangent example since you cannot represent ±1 with ±$8000 in a 16-bit cell; but if you have an application where one bit less precision is plenty and you want more speed, you can change the scale factor to $4000, so dividing the 32-bit intermediate results by the $4000 is just a matter of shifting right 12 bit places.

The issue of staying within bounds will be addressed almost continually as we progress further into scaled-integer arithmetic.

Next up: scaled-integer & fixed-point I/O in number bases other than hex? introduce the data stack concept? Dive right into some algorithms?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:18 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
We'll need a good title to grab the attention of the person who thinks there's no way scaled-integer could be adequate for his application just because it's not floating-point.

Here are a couple of suggestions off the top of my head:

Beyond integers
Practical math with real numbers

I was going for something that would emphasize the advantages of scaled-integer, rather than bash floating-point.

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Well explained unsigned 6502 division routines can be found at http://www.6502.org/source/integers/umm ... modfix.htm . Bruce has another article in the works.

It's merely an optimized version of the Garth's routines that includes a discussion of how the division routine actually works. The text was largely rewritten to emphasize the division itself, rather than how Forth handles it. I send it to Mike a while ago, but it's not up yet. (I have a guess as to what he is, or intends to be, polishing before putting the revised article up.)

GARTHWILSON wrote:
http://www.6502.org/source/integers/32muldiv.htm has routines to do 32-bit multiplications with a 64-bit result, and the vice-versa with division.

The division routine is actually a 128-bit (dividend) / 64-bit (divisor) to 64-bit quotient and 64-bit remainder and it has the "UM/MOD" bug. I sent Mike a corrected version a while ago, along with a 64-bit/32-bit to 32-bit quotient and remainder routine. I also added comments that document how to use (i.e. the inputs and outputs) of all three (i.e. multiplication too) routines. It's not up yet either, though.

GARTHWILSON wrote:
introduce the data stack concept?

A virtual register machine is just as valid an architecture as a virtual stack machine, and the former is probably more mainstream than the latter. If you do decide to go the data stack route, I would recommend pointing out that it was chosen as an example, and that scaled-integer math does not imply a specific underlying (virtual) architecture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:19 pm 

Shoot -- I totally forgot about this. I was going to set up a wiki for this. :-) Sorry! I'll try to get a simple wiki running tonight after work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:04 am 

Alright, here's Installment #3: The Data Stack (It's so practical. I just hope I won't regret introducing it so soon.)

The data stack is not particularly tied to one kind of math or another (floating-point, fixed-point, etc.), but its self-maintaining property reduces the need to use variables for intermediate storage and prevents register conflicts. You don't have to worry about whether a variable or virtual register you're using for one routine might have another routine still depending on it to hold some data. Even in languages like BASIC that accept algebraic statements, internally the computer usually uses a data stack of some sort, even if it's the same stack as the return stack.

I did my first big 6502 programming project in the late 1980's, in assembly. It was for an embedded system that went on a board a little smaller than Daryl Rictor's SBC-2. In my inexperience, I did several things that were not necessary or efficient. One of them was to do the math in floating-point, and in decimal, not hex. I determined that five bytes would accommodate the needed precision and exponent range, and had eight virtual processor registers in ZP for doing the math. I started with fewer, but kept adding another and another when I'd run into more conflicts in register usage. More of these meant I could have more calculations pending, but it also made it harder to standardize or keep track of what each register was being used for. I succeeded, but only by doing a lot of drive-you-crazy mental gymnastics. A stack of 5-byte cells would have been so much easier. And if I had done the math in hex and in fixed-point and scaled-integer, they could have been 2-byte cells, with some higher-precision intermediate results taking two cells.

If you're reading this, you probably already know what the 6502's (or other processor's) hardware stack is. It is used primarily to store return addresses so the program counter knows where to go to get back to the calling routine when a subroutine is finished. You can go as many levels deep as you want, and there's no difficulty in keeping things straight. The housekeeping is automatic. The hardware stack can be used for several other purposes too, but setting up a separate stack for data to operate on and for passing parameters to subroutines gives a lightfootedness you won't get from using the hardware (return) stack alone.

19th-century Polish logician Jan Lukasiewicz theorized that the most efficient way to do calculations was to use a stack, and let operators (like + - * / ^ etc) and functions (like LOG TAN COS etc) operate on the number (or numbers) at the top of the stack (TOS). The reverse notation of putting a couple of numbers on the stack and then telling the computer what to do with them, like 3 5 + instead of 3+5, is where the term "reverse Polish notation" (RPN) comes from, not from some joke about Polacks doing things in a backwards and senseless way.

Suppose we had a stack with a 1 in the top cell, a 3 in the next, and so on, to some arbitrary depth:

Code:
TOS  1

If you tell the computer to add (perhaps by calling a subroutine or macro named PLUS), the top two cells will be taken off and replaced with a 4, since 3 + 1 is 4. The result will be:

Code:
TOS  4

Note that the 5 and the 7 (and anything else that might be under the 7) remains undisturbed, regardless of the depth. For the PLUS operation, you don't care what else is under there or how deep the stack is. It simply does not matter.

If next you tell the computer to multiply (perhaps by calling a subroutine named MULT), the top two remaining cells will be taken off and replaced with 20, since 5 * 4 is 20:

Code:
TOS 20

Suppose you wanted to divide that 20 by 2 now. Put the 2 on the stack. It will get pushed onto the top:

Code:
TOS  2

Then divide (perhaps by calling a subroutine named DIV). You'll get:

Code:
TOS 10

Hewlett-Packard calculators all used to work this way, calling the top of the stack (TOS) the X register, the next one (next on stack, or NOS) Y, the next one Z, and the last one T. If you're familiar with HP calculators from the 1980's, you've already got it down. The HP manuals always drew the stack up-side-down so X was always at the bottom and things get pushed up instead of down, but it's the same idea.

There is nothing however that says a stack has to be limited to four levels like the Hewlett-Packard calculators had. When HP arrived at the 4-level stack, calculators were not programmable yet, so you did have to keep a mental note of what was on each level. There was no program running the process and keeping track of subroutines and their data stack usage, and HP determined that it was unrealistic to mentally keep track of more than four. When we move to programming, that runtime limitation is gone.

You can have lots of nested subroutines, each one using data stack space and leaving operations pending until the completion of the subroutines they called. Letting the stack get really deep does not make it unwieldy. If, for example, each subroutine used only three levels (or less, as is often the case), then you're only concerned with those few cells at the time you're working on that routine-- regardless of how many levels are below it. In the diagrams above, you could have a hundred numbers under those top stack items we were dealing with, and it wouldn't matter. In fact, even the 7 never got touched in these examples. Subroutines automatically leave other subroutines' "scratchpad space" on the stack undisturbed. In fact, "recursion" refers to when a routine calls itself, even multiple nested levels deep, which a stack allows it to do. (As you might expect, it is important to make sure that the condition to back out of the recursion is met before you overrun the available stack space.)

There are various ways to accommodate a data stack in 6502 memory. 6502 Forth implementations put the data stack in zero page because the stack is also used to calculate addresses, and indexed indirect addressing like LDA (zp,x) is needed for certain operations. For this math treatise, we will, at least initially, limit our use of such a data stack to just the math data we will operate on, and not addresses. This means that since the 6502's non-ZP addressing can be indexed (LDA abs,X being an example), you can put the data stack anywhere in RAM with only a small speed penalty, as discussed at http://www.6502.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493 and other places on the forum.

I initially started writing the examples for a data stack with the low bytes starting at $03FF and growing downward as you add cells to the stack, and the high bytes starting at $04FF and growing downward; but I ran into a disadvantage in that the lack of an STY abs,X makes some code more awkward and inefficient, so I went back to putting the stack in ZP. And as long as it's in ZP, the possible future desire to use the high and low byte together as addresses for indirects means we might as well put the byte pairs together.

For 16-bit cells, we'll need two bytes per cell. We will also need a pointer to tell where the top of the stack is. Index register X works best because of the available addressing modes. With the two bytes of each cell together now, pushing or pulling each stack item will consist of decrementing or incrementing X twice. Suppose we start at the high end of ZP for the data stack, and grow the stack downward (which is what happens with the return stack you're already familiar with). X could be initialized to 00. To push a number on the stack, we decrement X twice with DEX DEX, which puts X to $FE; then store the low byte with STA 0,X, re-load A as necessary, and store the high byte with STA 1,X. This means the low byte of the first stack item will get stored at $00FE, and the high byte will get stored at $00FF. If we want to put another 16-bit number on the stack, we do the same thing again. The exact same instructions and operands are used regardless of how deep the stack is at the time, or which routine is using them.

Dropping the top stack cell is accomplished with INX INX. To make the function more clear in the code, you could make it a macro:

Code:
DROP:  MACRO
       INX
       INX
       ENDM

It couldn't get much simpler. Now every time your assembly code has the line "DROP", the assembler lays down two INX instructions. It's the same thing, but DROP tells why you're incrementing X. Using a DROP subroutine and calling it with JSR DROP would take an additional byte and four times as many clocks (plus the 3-byte one-time memory expense of the subroutine itself).

Swapping the top two cells on the stack can be accomplished with:

Code:
SWAP:   LDA  0,X   ; Swap low bytes of the two two-byte cells,
        LDY  2,X
        STA  2,X
        STY  0,X

LDA  1,X   ; followed by the high bytes.
        LDY  3,X
        STA  3,X
        STY  1,X

RTS
 ;--------------

This is long enough and used often enough that you will want to keep it as a subroutine as shown here instead of a macro, at least for the 6502. (The code is only half as long for the 65816.)

Above, we gave the example of adding the two top stack cells. Here is some example code of how to do that with the stack:

Code:
PLUS:   CLC

LDA  0,X   ; Start by adding the low bytes
        ADC  2,X   ; of the two cells,
        STA  2,X   ; and put the result in the second cell on the stack,
                   ; overwriting what was there before.
        LDA  1,X   ; Then do the high bytes similarly.
        ADC  3,X
        STA  3,X

DROP       ; Drop the top cell from the stack.
        RTS        ; The stack will now have one less cell.
 ;--------------

Subtracting now becomes an intuitive variation on the above. There are examples of multiplication and division at http://www.6502.org/source . The multiplication routines at http://www.6502.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=689 multiply two 16-bit cells to arrive at a 32-bit (ie, two-celled) product, and the division routines at http://www.6502.org/source/integers/umm ... modfix.htm start with a 32-bit number and divide by a 16-bit number to get a 16-bit quotient and a 16-bit remainder. These are unsigned, but can be used as building blocks to arrive at the signed counterparts, other precisions, and all the functions we will be discussing. There are more arithmetic source code examples at http://www.6502.org/source .

Further up, Bruce posted the code for NEGATE, which just changes the sign of a two-byte number. (For example, it turns 1487 to -1487, or vice-versa.) To run his routine with the stack, REG and REG+1 as he wrote it would be made to be interpreted by the assembler as 0,X and 1,X so we get the same as:

Code:
NEGATE: SEC
        LDA  #0    ; Take 0
        SBC  0,X   ; minus the low byte, and
        STA  0,X   ; store the result back to the low byte.
        LDA  #0    ; Then do the same for
        SBC  1,X   ; the high byte, using the "borrow"
        STA  1,X   ; potentially produced by the first
        RTS        ; (low byte) operation.
 ;--------------

If your assembler can't alias something like REG to an addressing mode and operand as he suggested, just write it as shown here, and you'll get the same thing.

Now you might be looking ahead a bit and realizing that you may not want to lose the cells that served as inputs for the addition or other process. After all, you might want to use that number again, and you don't want to have to store it in a variable to preserve it. Instead of having some routines that discard their inputs when they're done with them and some that don't, it works out better to have them all consume their inputs and then have other routines that duplicate the cells first if you'll want them again. For example, to duplicate the top cell on the stack, you would do:

Code:
DUP:    DEX        ; Create the new cell at the top.
        DEX
        LDA  2,X   ; Copy the low byte to the new cell,
        STA  0,X
        LDA  3,X   ; and then the high byte.
        STA  1,X
        RTS
 ;--------------

Here's an example for duplicating the top two cells, preserving the order:

Code:
_2DUP:  DEX        ; Create two new cells at the top.
        DEX
        DEX
        DEX

LDA  6,X   ; Then copy the contents over.
        STA  2,X
        LDA  7,X
        STA  3,X
        LDA  4,X
        STA  0,X
        LDA  5,X
        STA  1,X

RTS
 ;--------------

It also makes for a smaller kernel and fewer errors if we treat all cells as two bytes (or at least the same number of bytes every time, even if it's not two), instead of trying to economize and have single-byte cells and the combinations of operators and so on that would be necessary for all the various precisions of interest. If a particular number will always fit in 8 bits or less, just zero the high byte of the cell.

We can introduce more stack-manipulation subroutines as they become necessary. Fortunately this trail has already been blazed, so we don't have to re-invent things and wonder if we're painting ourselves into a corner.

In someone's musings (name witheld to protect the guilty) on language implementations on the 6502, he says that errors in stack manipulation are a serious problem in Forth. This shows his inexperience with it. Yes, a person who is new to Forth will crash it frequently; but that quickly ends with a little experience to get the hang of it.

========================

Quote:
GARTHWILSON wrote:
Quote:

Here are a couple of suggestions off the top of my head:

Beyond integers
Practical math with real numbers

I was going for something that would emphasize the advantages of scaled-integer, rather than bash floating-point.

I see your point. "Real" however could still be floating-point, and rules out complex numbers (which I do hope to address). "Beyond Integers" may be on the right track but just need a little expansion to stir one's interest.

Note: Although I never finished this series, I addressed much of the material in my article Large Look-up Tables for Hyperfast, Accurate, 16-Bit Fixed-Point/Scaled-Integer Math on my website, and I will go further into stacks in my upcoming stacks primer which will have about 19 sections. When I'll finish and post it depends on my work. I was hoping to have it up long ago, but now in Dec 2014 I still have quite a lot left to do. [EDIT, Oct 1, 2015] The stacks treatise is up, at http://wilsonminesco.com/stacks/ .