6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:01 pm 

I'm essentially debouncing. Set LASTKB = MILLIS at a point in time, compare 16 bit timer value MILLIS to it continuously and check if 100 ticks have passed.
First I subtract the two 16 bit numbers. Then subtract the 100 and check carry.

Surely there must be a much better way to do this?

Code:
sec        ;
lda MILLIS ; Timer increments via IRQ
sbc LASTKB ; Fixed point in time
sta TMPL
lda MILLISH
sbc LASTKBH
sta TMPH

sec
lda TMPL
sbc #100 ; I want to check if 100 ticks have passed
lda TMPH
sbc #0
bcc notyet ; Result was negative, time has not elapsed

and Complete hardware overview of my 6502 SBC R1 :)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:11 pm 

You could add the 100 to MILLIS before you save the LASTKB value.

The all you need in the checking code is a compare.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:15 pm 

The obvious improvement is to set LASTKB = MILLIS + 100 instead. Then
Code:
lda MILLIS
cmp LASTKB
lda MILLIS+1
sbc LASTKB+1
bcc notyet

... as Martin said while I was typing. I will leave replacing "sec / sbc" with "cmp" as my contribution.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:33 pm 

Martin A wrote:
You could add the 100 to MILLIS before you save the LASTKB value.

The all you need in the checking code is a compare.

Yes; you could have lots of tasks watching the same clock on the wall, each one having its own target time which it compares to.

Like Martin A says, add the desired delay to the current time (just once), and store the resulting target time in that task's variable. Then just watch for when the current time matches (or exceeds) the target time. Take the current time minus the target time. If the answer is negative, you haven't arrived yet. It works nicely for multiple-precision too.

This is part of what's discussed in my article "Simple methods for multitasking without a multitasking OS, for systems that lack the resources to implement a multitasking OS, or where hard realtime requirements would rule one out anyway."

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:45 pm 

Of course! Much better!

Thank you all!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:39 am 

Personally, I would set the timer as a countdown timer you want to elapse, then use the IRQ to call the timer routine that decrements instead.

This way should be faster:

LDA MILLIS
BNE :1

DEC MILLIS+1 ; to use the full 16-bit value, then increment this by 1 when initializing values
BMI ALARM ; and use BEQ instead

:1 DEC MILLIS

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:48 am 

Rob, that's ok if you're only timing one thing; but you wouldn't want the ISR to have to do that for lots of things that are being timed. AndersNielsen said the particular application was debouncing; but since he apparently wants to be running other things at once (otherwise he might just use a timing loop), I imagine there is cooperative multitasking, or there will be later. I think it's better to run just the one clock, and have the various tasks compare it to their target times. I've done this in quite a few products.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:11 am 

Technically I could time my main loop roughly and do

Code:
DEC lastkb
BNE notyet
[…]
;reset lastkb
notyet:

That would probably be the least overhead, running only every x loops - but not very consistent, timing wise.

If I used the ISR to decrement, like Rob suggested, it would be more consistent but the more things that need timing would quickly bloat the ISR.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:59 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Rob, that's ok if you're only timing one thing; but you wouldn't want the ISR to have to do that for lots of things that are being timed. AndersNielsen said the particular application was debouncing; but since he apparently wants to be running other things at once (otherwise he might just use a timing loop), I imagine there is cooperative multitasking, or there will be later. I think it's better to run just the one clock, and have the various tasks compare it to their target times. I've done this in quite a few products.

The debouncing would still affect the count-up timer the same way as the extra ticks will still be added to the timer . The number of variables used would still be the same for a count-up timer vs countdown timer. The same number of variables would be needed for multi-tasking for each method. The countdown way eliminates the clock altogether except at the beginning when one has to calculate the difference between the starting MILLIS time and the target time.

Doing a 16-bit comparison takes 5 cycles longer on each pass using the count-up timer for a multitask environment. I see way more benefits to using a countdown timer vs count-up timer. The only real difference is one can more readily see the time elapsed with a count-up timer vs time-remaining for a countdown timer.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:08 pm 

AndersNielsen wrote:
Technically I could time my main loop roughly and do

Code:
DEC lastkb
BNE notyet
[…]
;reset lastkb
notyet:

That would probably be the least overhead, running only every x loops - but not very consistent, timing wise.

If I used the ISR to decrement, like Rob suggested, it would be more consistent but the more things that need timing would quickly bloat the ISR.

There shouldn't be any extra bloat as the calculations to set the timer are pretty much the same with each method and depending on the use-method, may be faster for a countdown timer.

For a count-up timer you have to subtract the desired elapsed time from the current clock's time. For a countdown timer, you just set the desired elapsed time with values.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:49 pm 

Hi!
John West wrote:
The obvious improvement is to set LASTKB = MILLIS + 100 instead. Then
Code:
lda MILLIS
cmp LASTKB
lda MILLIS+1
sbc LASTKB+1
bcc notyet

... as Martin said while I was typing. I will leave replacing "sec / sbc" with "cmp" as my contribution.

The above (and all the other code samples given) suffer from a data race: the ISR could fire just between the first LDA MILLIS and the second LDA MILLIS+1, and the roll-up will invalidate the count:

- Suppose MILLS = $0100
- LDA MILLS ; A = 0
- Now, the ISR fires and MILLS = $00FF
- LDA MILLS+1 : A = 0

So, instead of reading $0100 or $00FF, you are reading $0000, an invalid value.

To avoid this, you must read the value properly, the only way to do it in the presence of NMI is:
Code:
readTime:
  LDX MILLS+1
  LDA MILLS
  CPX MILLS+1
  BNE readTime
  RTS

Now, if you have multiple tasks waiting for a given time to perform some action, it is better to have a priority queue with all the tasks, so you only check the earliest task available each loop.

Have Fun!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:28 pm 

The routine to see if it's time yet will run so many times that its total number of cycles will dwarf the set-up time. The compare-to-zero thing is of course always preferable when it's a practical option, which it won't be if you're timing multiple things with the same timer, unless you implement dmsc's interesting idea of a priority queue. Even there, I think the accuracy, for the things that need it, would be lost, as there would be some indeterminate number of cycles required to set up for the next time-out, and error would accumulate. When one task is written, it may still be unknown how accurate the clock will need to be for another task that has not been written yet. Many things will also need more than just the 16 bits of a VIA timer. Even in the case of key debouncing, if your φ2 rate is rather high, the 16 bits of a VIA's timer won't be enough. As keys age and get bouncier, they require more debounce time. I one situation I saw it need over 100ms before I finally decided it's time to give in and go to the effort to replace that key. I usually go for 30ms though; and even at just 5MHz, you can only reach about 13ms with a VIA's timer. The thing to do then is to set it up to generate an interrupt at some round number like 1ms or 10ms, and have the ISR increment a variable which will probably have multiple bytes. And yes, I always do what dmsc says, about comparing to make sure the time didn't get incremented and carry between bytes read.