6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: BinToBcd
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:01 am 

Hi,

recently i improved my routine for converting binary numbers to BCD and maybe it may useful to somebody else. So here it is. It uses BCD mode, so no luck for NES users.

It repeatedly divides the binary number by 2, and multiplies BCD number by 2 (by BCD adding it to itself) adding the carry. (I found the algorithm in some book when I was just the beginning 6502 programmer and could not understand it then :-)

Numbers of arbitrary length can be converted and the routine will automatically compute the minimal number of bytes necessary to represent the number in BCD. (1 for 99, 2 for 100 etc.).

After conversion, it is easy to print the number using hexadecimal number printing routine.

Any optimizations are always welcome of course :-)

Rudla

Code:
NUM = 131
FORMAT_BUF = $4000

org $2000

;123456789045 = $1c $be $99 $1a $35

lda #$35
        sta NUM
        lda #$1a
        sta NUM+1
        lda #$99
        sta NUM+2
        lda #$be
        sta NUM+3
        lda #$1c
        sta NUM+4
        lda #5
        jsr BinToBcd
        ;a = 5  buf = $45 $90 $78 $56 $34 $12

lda #99
        sta NUM
        lda #1
        jsr BinToBcd
        ;a = 1 buf = $99
        rts

BinToBcd
;Convert binary number to BCD.
;Arbitrary number sizes are supported.
;In:
;   NUM    buffer with number to convert
;   a      number of bytes in the number
;Out:
;   FORMAT_BUF   output buffer
;  a            number of BCD bytes (at least 1)
;Uses:
;   x,y, t1,t1_h, t2

bcd_size     = 128
num_size     = 129
b           = 130

ldx #0         ; initial result is 0, 1 byte size
        stx FORMAT_BUF
        inx
        stx bcd_size

;---Skip leading zeroes in the number (this may be removed, it we need the routine smaller)
        tay
        iny
skip   dey
        beq done         ;the number is zero, we are done
        lda NUM-1,y
        beq   skip

sty num_size
        sed

;--- Process one byte at a time
next_byte
        ldy num_size
        lda NUM-1,y      
        sta b
        sec            ;set top bit of the mask to 1
        bcs loop      

shift_byte
    ;--- BCD = BCD * 2 + CARRY
        ldy #1
        ldx bcd_size
mul2
        lda FORMAT_BUF-1,y
        adc   FORMAT_BUF-1,y
        sta FORMAT_BUF-1,y
        iny
        dex
        bne mul2

bcc loop

;--- BCD must be one byte bigger (we need to store our extra 1 in CARRY there)
        lda #1
        sta FORMAT_BUF-1,y
        sty bcd_size         ;as the x is 1 based, we can directly store is as new bcd_size
                                ;we cound use INC here, it would be slower, however.
        clc
loop   rol b               ;Divide by two, if result is 0, end. As we initially set the 0 bit to 1, this is in fact loop to 8.
        bne shift_byte

;--- Repeat for all bytes in the number
        dec num_size
        bne next_byte

cld
done
        lda bcd_size
        rts

Last edited by rudla.kudla on Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: BcdToBin
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:21 am 

Off the top of my head, there are three other common ways to convert a binary number to BCD:

* repeated divide the number by 10 to extract digits
* repeated subtraction of powers of ten, 10000, 1000, 100 and 10 to extract digits
* double dabble https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_dabble

It will be interesting to see further comparison and analysis between them.

Post subject: Re: BinToBcd
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:34 am 

The double dabble was a neat read.

But the math is clear.

The subtraction method only goes through the loop once for each digit. (for a 12-digit number is 12 times)
The division method has too much latency from the division.
This method goes through the loop once for each bit and also at least 1-# of digits for the addition (5-bytes = 40 bits, at least 40 times through the loop) (plus the instruction of adding the digits which with a 12-digit number averages 6 times for each bit processed) (40 * 6 = 240 times through the loop).
Double Dabble has a very high latency of separating each nybble and seeing if it is 5 or greater and adding 3 to each nybble. Where is a 4-bit computer when you need one?

Note: my math may be subject to errors as I am not a computer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:39 pm 

rudla.kudla wrote:
It repeatedly divides the binary number by 2, and multiplies BCD number by 2 (by BCD adding it to itself) adding the carry. (I found the algorithm in some book when I was just the beginning 6502 programmer and could not understand it then :-)

Upon closer examination, your approach essentially does what double dabble does, but with a clearer explanation.

From the wiki page about double dabble:
Quote:
Essentially, the algorithm operates by doubling the BCD value on the left each iteration and adding either one or zero according to the original bit pattern. Shifting left accomplishes both tasks simultaneously. If any digit is five or above, three is added to ensure the value "carries" in base 10.

Edit: double dabble does not depend upon hardware having a decimal mode or decimal adjust instruction hence all that stuff about checking the values of nybbles and adding a correction factor.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:02 am 

related articles and topics about hex-to-BCD conversion on this site:
http://6502.org/source/integers/hex2dec.htm
http://6502.org/source/integers/hex2dec-more.htm
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=205
http://6502.org/source/integers/32bcdbin.htm (going the other direction, BCD to hex)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:55 am 

The basic principle of the routine is not a new thing. The interesting thing about this routine is, that it can accept numbers of arbitrary length.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:10 am 

IamRob wrote:

But the math is clear.

The subtraction method only goes through the loop once for each digit. (for a 12-digit number is 12 times)

Wouldn't subtraction method do a loop of 1..9 steps for each digit (repeatedly subtracting 10, 100, 1000 etc?) That would make it 12*5 times for 12 digit number in average? Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:32 pm 

rudla.kudla wrote:
IamRob wrote:

But the math is clear.

Wouldn't subtraction method do a loop of 1..9 steps for each digit (repeatedly subtracting 10, 100, 1000 etc?) That would make it 12*5 times for 12 digit number in average? Am I missing something?

The subtraction method that is on the web can be streamlined even more to give better results. The, "once through the loop per digit" can be achieved by a larger table.

First I tried to double the speed by doubling the table size and inserting intermediary values, the table then consists of 10, 50, 100, 500, 1000, 5000, 10000, 50000 ... etc. This basically creates a value table that can reduce the loop from 1-9 to 1-4 for an average of 2 or 3 times through the loop for each digit. Subtracting 5000 would be the same as subtracting 1000 x 5 times.

When this worked, I realized I could get a 1:1 ratio, but at a cost to memory.

The table could be expanded even more. 10,20,30 .. 90, 100,200,300 .. 900, 1000,2000,3000 .. 9000 ... etc.
This method would give a 1:1 digit per loop.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:21 pm 

That would not be so effective. For example in case of 3000, you would first have to try decrement by 9000, realize the value is not big enough and retry for smaller value.
So you just 'flip' the loop and instead of doing more smaller subtractions, you would do more overflowing ones.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:14 pm 

My point of view may be in the minority, but I would value compactness of code over execution speed in this application (which may likely be for a human-targeted display), unless there is some kind of hard real-time requirement. In the absence of that requirement "fast enough" and "small enough" are subjective qualities.

I haven't fleshed out my strategy yet, but I think I might employ a version of my little "divmod10" routine and form the BCD result from the remainder right-to-left a nybble at a time, repeating until the quotient is zero. It certainly wouldn't be a speed champion, but I can imagine the whole thing fitting in a few dozen bytes of code without the need for any look-up tables.

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:45 pm 

Responding to Mike's post immediately above:
The intro article for the section of my website on large look-up tables for ultrafast scaled-integer arithmetic has this paragraph:

For converting hex numbers to other bases for output (which will normally be a string), initialize a blank string. You will build it from right to left. Divide your number by what's in variable BASE, and use the remainder to add a text digit to the build, even if it's a 0. Keep doing that until there's 0 in the number. You can add a decimal point or other characters between digits, e.g. 12.345 or 12:36:40 (actually you might want to change BASE from 10 to 6 and back for the time readout, if you started with a number of seconds!)

The Forth code repeated for each digit is only six instructions (twelve bytes), and works for converting hex to any base:
Code:
: #             ( d1 -- d2 )
   BASE @  UD/MOD
   ROT >DIGIT HOLD              ;
UD/MOD is an unsigned double-precision (ie 32-bit) divide by a 16-bit divisor, yielding a 32-bit quotient and a 16-bit remainder. This does assume of course that you already have the division routine which you'll be using for other things too. >DIGIT converts the remainder to an ASCII character for feeding to a display or printer for human output. HOLD adds the ASCII digit to the text string being formed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:56 am 

rudla.kudla wrote:
That would not be so effective. For example in case of 3000, you would first have to try decrement by 9000, realize the value is not big enough and retry for smaller value.
So you just 'flip' the loop and instead of doing more smaller subtractions, you would do more overflowing ones.

Not quite. I will try to put the way I think it could work into words.

The idea would be to check the highest byte of each value before doing the subtraction. That way the loop is very short ( just decrementing the x-reg for each hi-byte in the table ) and the subtraction is only done when the search finds the table value is less than or equal to the current value being subtracted from. Only one subtraction then would need to be done for the hex bytes of that value to get each digit.

There should be a bit of a speed increase when doing comparisons to get the top value to subtract, rather than subtracting a multiple each time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:46 am 

IamRob wrote:
The idea would be to check the highest byte of each value before doing the subtraction. That way the loop is very short ( just decrementing the x-reg for each hi-byte in the table ) and the subtraction is only done when the search finds the table value is less than or equal to the current value being subtracted from. Only one subtraction then would need to be done for the hex bytes of that value to get each digit.

It has to do two subtractions in many cases. For example, if the input number is 79999 ($1387f), the loop on the first byte will get down to 80000 ($13880), see that the first byte matches, and conclude that that first digit might be 8. It has do the comparison all the way to the lowest byte to find that it isn't. But even with that it does look like an improvement over the "subtract powers of 10" version.
I'm still fond of double-dabble for its simplicity and versatility. Change the "half" and "double" parts, and it can handle conversions between any two formats, including mixed radix ones like HH:MM:SS for time.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:07 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:

For converting hex numbers to other bases for output (which will normally be a string), initialize a blank string. You will build it from right to left. Divide your number by what's in variable BASE, and use the remainder to add a text digit to the build, even if it's a 0. Keep doing that until there's 0 in the number. You can add a decimal point or other characters between digits, e.g. 12.345 or 12:36:40 (actually you might want to change BASE from 10 to 6 and back for the time readout, if you started with a number of seconds!)

Something like this?
Code:
: :00  ( D1 -- D2 )
   RB DECIMAL # 6 BASE ! #
   ASCII : HOLD ;
: .TIME  ( D -- )
   RB DECIMAL
   <# # ASCII . HOLD
   :00 :00 #S #>
   TYPE SPACE ;

Note: RB is a word in Fleet Forth that causes the word it is in to restore the value of base to what it was prior to executing ( calling ) RB .

Quote:

The Forth code repeated for each digit is only six instructions (twelve bytes), and works for converting hex to any base:
Code:
: #             ( d1 -- d2 )
   BASE @  UD/MOD
   ROT >DIGIT HOLD              ;
UD/MOD is an unsigned double-precision (ie 32-bit) divide by a 16-bit divisor, yielding a 32-bit quotient and a 16-bit remainder. This does assume of course that you already have the division routine which you'll be using for other things too. >DIGIT converts the remainder to an ASCII character for feeding to a display or printer for human output. HOLD adds the ASCII digit to the text string being formed.

Fleet Forth does not have the word >DIGIT . Its functionality incorporated in # . Do you see a lot of use for it outside of # ?

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:13 am 

JimBoyd wrote:
Fleet Forth does not have the word >DIGIT . Its functionality incorporated in # . Do you see a lot of use for it outside of # ?

Not much. I do have it in two other words where I use it in displaying a byte or cell without using PAD. That's all.