6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:44 pm 

Now that I have my cc65 fork really fleshed out, I had whip up a version of snakes for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg-rPlhPPvs

https://github.com/ChaseHQ/DANI-I-Snakes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:07 pm 

i would still very much recommend putting everything related to a project in a single repository, for the same reasons as mentioned before.

but besdies that, that's a pretty neat looking clone. as an extra challenge, try to have the body of the snake smaller than 1 whole tile. so that when the snake is next to itself the body parts don't blend together.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:13 pm 

Proxy wrote:
i would still heavily recommend putting everything related to that project in a single repository, for the same reasons mentioned before.

I get what you're saying but they truly are separate projects. CC65 is a fork so it has to stand on it's own so I can pull off the main for updates. As for the rest I personally just prefer (especially when im at work) pulling one project, working on it and pushing and not taking the entire tree with me. I understand your position but I think for my workstyle keeping it separate helps me organize as well as be productive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:34 pm 

hmm, that is honestly the first time i've heard of a worksytle like that. especially with github which is designed to allow for incremental updates to repos. oh well whatever works i guess.
just note that it will likely only be convenient to you and not to others who might want to follow the project.

also, sorry but i'm still a bit confused, what exactly do you need a fork of cc65 for? AFAIK you usually fork projects to modify their source code, but in this case you just want a custom target for it. so why not just download the pre-compiled binaries and follow their official tutorial? https://cc65.github.io/doc/customizing.html
i did the same with my own 65c02 SBC, i got a folder for cc65 programs that also contains a config folder with the crt0.s file, C standard library, and the .cfg file for my hardware. all according to that page.

Last edited by Proxy on Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:42 pm 

With a fork and their already built Makefiles its incredibly easy to add your own target. Dave Plummer did something similar with his KIM-I. Having all the source at hand in say VSCode gives you a very nice environment for working off already working source as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:45 pm 

oh i see.
Make is a pain to get working on Windows, so using the pre-compiled binaries was more convenient for me.

anyways my little extra challange for your snake program still stands if you want to try it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:31 pm 

Proxy wrote:
Make is a pain to get working on Windows, so using the pre-compiled binaries was more convenient for me.
Microsoft's NMake is fairly easy to set up for Windows. It's not as powerful or versatile as Make, but it gets the job done for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:18 pm 

tmr4 wrote:
Proxy wrote:
Microsoft's NMake is fairly easy to set up for Windows. It's not as powerful or versatile as Make, but it gets the job done for me.

I've been running VSCode under WSL 2 - It uses Linux as the backend to compile the code, so Make is easily and readily available. - You could also just install Cygwin and it should work.