6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:45 pm 

Spotted on Hacker News: 6502 Language Implementation Approaches by David A. Wheeler. The HN discussion of the article is here.

[Edit: David Wheeler has been mentioned in the past on this forum, as this search reveals. ]
[Edit: I've altered the title of this thread, as the "secondary" subject of Hacker News now seems to be primary. ]

For those not familiar with Hacker News, I heartily recommend you check it out. [ In the following post Ed remarks, "I find HN notable for the quality of discussion and behaviour" ]

Hacker News is a continuously updating web site that displays a collection of items (mostly tech-related) contributed by members. That in itself is interesting, but often the most remarkable insights are found in the discussions that accompany each item. HN has a diverse membership, including "just folks" but also some amazing expertise!

You'll find the front page at https://news.ycombinator.com. The list of items scrolls down as new items are posted, and items deemed to be valuable / interesting scroll comparatively slowly, tending to remain near the top. Notice that every items has two associated links (because of the discussion). "6502 Language Implementation Approaches" was posted only 6 hours ago, and is presently still on page one.

-- Jeff

Last edited by Dr Jefyll on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:25 am 

See also a previous HN discussion about this page. And this other nearby page which is linked:

The search on HN comments and posts often turns up very good stuff too.

(It's quite amusing (to me) that this is a post by 'ingve' who quite often reposts links brought to light on the mos6502 G+ page. This Wheeler link is an indirection on that: it got a mention in this discussion on the link mentioned in this mos6502 post.)

(I find HN notable for the quality of discussion and behaviour: quite often someone will correct themselves or apologise for a misunderstanding, or thank someone for an enlightening comment. It's not nearly as combative as some other online discussions. Commenters there seem interested in learning, not winning.)

(Agreed though, there's a lot of interesting discussion on HN, and some interesting links. But it's something of a firehose - I tend to read the daily digest as found here. In fact, I tend to read a few days behind the present - that rules out any possibility of joining in the ongoing discussion, but it means I get to see more or less the whole discussion. There's always a difficulty of being too early.)

Last edited by BigEd on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:23 am 

To try to get back on track though, David Wheeler's page (and site) is well worth an explore.

Here are the sections of the 6502 language implementations page:

Quote:
Right now I find Forth, PLASMA, and Atalan especially interesting in this area, as described below, but there are many other interesting approaches too.
    My specialized approaches
    Forth
      Ron's Software Page has interesting things, including QForth. Forth.org has a set of Apple // Forth implementations.
      SPL is a Forth-like language that is implemented in plain Python and generates 6502 assembly code.
    PLASMA
    Atalan
    Python
    C and C-like
    Sort-of-assembler
    Lisp/LOGO
    Basic and Pascal
    Java
    Other Languages
    Slang
    Action!
    Suites
    Assembly
    Other stuff
    Apple ][ ROMs
    6502 on Minecraft
    Miscellaneous[/list]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:07 pm 

I can always tell when some news site links to David Wheeler's page as I get a sudden spike in stars on PLASMA's GitHub site(https://github.com/dschmenk/PLASMA). Not that I'm complaining ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:12 am 

More about Hacker News. First of all, HN mustn't be confused with Hackaday -- they are worlds apart.

I'm always finding interesting stuff on HN, although it *is* kind of a firehose, as Ed said. You need to get accustomed to scrolling past lots of stuff before you hit paydirt.

Here's a tidbit with some 6502 relevance. As usual, the HN item includes both an offsite link and a local discussion. The item in this case is How People Used to Download Games from the Radio (2014), and the associated discussion is here. The 6502 gem turned up in the discussion:

sehugg wrote:
This is a good time to link to Apple Disk Server, which supplies audio files that Apple ][s can load with their built-in cassette ROM routines, bootstrapping a program that loads a compressed image, then formats and writes it to floppy disk: http://asciiexpress.net/diskserver/

( This is one of the few ways to transfer data to a vintage computer without additional hardware, at least until devices started showing up without a headphone jack :^P )

I added a similar feature to my 8bitworkshop IDE that lets you upload your own C/asm programs to your Apple ][ via cassette port: http://8bitworkshop.com/v3.2.0/?platform=apple2

-- Jeff