6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:41 pm 

From elsewhere:
Garth wrote:
BigEd wrote:
Garth often mentions that the 6502 stack is not as deeply used as one might suspect. I just ran a Basic timing benchmark, which exercises a lot of the Beeb's Basic interpreter, and was mildly surprised to see that it used as much as 136 bytes of stack. (That will be including IRQ handler usage, probably.)

The applicable page in my 6502 stacks treatise is http://wilsonminesco.com/stacks/enoughstackspace.html which I think is the shortest page there. I might like to quote and link to your comment, especially if you add more information. Do you know what's taking so much stack space?

It's interesting that BASIC needs so much more than Forth which exposes the stacks to the user.

It looks like it's enough to evaluate an expression with deeply nested subexpressions to use up a fair amount of stack:
PRINT (1+(1+(1+(1+(1+(1+(1+(1+(1+(1+(1)))))))))))
or even just
PRINT 1+((((((((((((1))))))))))))

So I'd conclude that the BBC Basic interpreter uses a recursive evaluation tactic which puts data as well as addresses on the 6502 stack. It looks like the evaluator allows up to 16 levels of parenthesis.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:51 pm 

I have to admit that for me, programming on commercially available systems (OSI, Apple, etc.) led to some bad habits. I tend to avoid using Page Zero and the stack as much as I would if starting from scratch. Coexisting with BASIC and/or DOS with limited documentation, you never could be sure about things.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:43 pm 

Well, as evidenced in the other thread about modularity, the stack in the 6502 isn't leveraged for call frames, at least in machine language, like on other processors. So, in that sense, it makes sense that "normally", and 6502 stack isn't used much. There was a Forth chip that I think was limited to a depth of 20, for example. And I think Garth has said that he's not seen his work go down below 8 or 12 or something like that.

But our stacks tend to be reserved for addresses, and not data, particularly not static data unless many other systems. Since the stack is such a limited resource, historically developers look for alternatives.

In contrast, you could look at UCSD Pascal, where essentially the entire system is one huge stack. It pushes EVERYTHING on to it, and since it's "pass by value", they can be big things, including 256 byte Sets, large records, etc. UCSD even pushes new code on to the stack.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:22 pm 

About Pascal: I've heard that in the past; but doesn't that make for a lot of time wasted moving lots of large items to and from the stack? Or is it more like Forth's dictionary which is last-on-first-off in the sense of new compilation and FORGET, but which normally uses the page-1 hardware stack as a return stack and a ZP area for a parameter stack, independently of the dictionary?

Ed's example above is amusing in its need for some optimization, except that it's probably just to make the point, and numbers could be replaced with different floating-point numbers (which I suppose the "1" is anyway) and the operators could be replaced with a mix. These could be put on virtual stacks though, eliminating much of the need for deep page-1 hardware stack usage. Floating-point numbers could be stacked in pages 2 and above, never needing the addressing modes that are particular to ZP like addresses need.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:00 pm 

BigEd wrote:
It looks like it's enough to evaluate an expression with deeply nested subexpressions to use up a fair amount of stack:
PRINT (1+(1+(1+(1+(1+(1+(1+(1+(1+(1+(1)))))))))))
or even just
PRINT 1+((((((((((((1))))))))))))

So I'd conclude that the BBC Basic interpreter uses a recursive evaluation tactic which puts data as well as addresses on the 6502 stack. It looks like the evaluator allows up to 16 levels of parenthesis.

Not only does that sort of evaluation gobble up stack at a rapid rate, so do nested FOR-NEXT loops, GOSUBs, DO-loops, etc. In the Commodore 128, BASIC 7.0 was so stack-hungry a separate 512 byte run-time stack was implemented, unlike the C-64's BASIC 2.0, which used the hardware stack.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:22 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
About Pascal: I've heard that in the past; but doesn't that make for a lot of time wasted moving lots of large items to and from the stack? Or is it more like Forth's dictionary which is last-on-first-off in the sense of new compilation and FORGET, but which normally uses the page-1 hardware stack as a return stack and a ZP area for a parameter stack, independently of the dictionary?

Pascal isn't that much different from other high level languages, like C.

Specifically, in this case, they're both pass by value. For normal scalars, this isn't really a big deal: characters, integers, etc. Floats would push the entire value (8 bytes, depending on the FP implementation). But if you pass in a record (a struct in C), then the entire thing gets copied to the stack, where it's operated upon by the procedure. On exit, the SP is reset and all of that space is released.

Clearly this encourages passing in pointers to things, rather than the things themselves. Now, in Pascal, you can specify pass by reference:
Code:
program p;
var z:integer;

procedure test(x:integer, var y:integer)
begin
    y := y + x;
end;
begin
    z = 1;
    test(1, z);
    { z = 2 }
end.

In this case, "y" would be modified. VS:
Code:
program p;
var z:integer;

procedure test(x:integer, y:integer)
begin
    y := y + x;
end;
begin
    z = 1;
    test(1, z);
    { z = 1 }
end.

"y" would still be modified, but it's tied to the scope of the procedure and doesn't affect the parameter that's called in to the procedure.

The curious part of UCSD is that if your procedure invoked a segment procedure (which is like an overlay), that wasn't loaded yet, it would actually load from disk and "push" the code on to the stack. You could visualize the working memory of UCSD as the dictionary in FORTH. But it has 2 parts, the stack, and the heap. In UCSD the stack would grow upward in memory, while the heap would grow down, until one ran in to the other and you "run out of memory". The heap was mostly used for dynamic memory allocation using the crude mark and release capability in the early UCSD (vs the malloc/free concept in C). Mark simply bumped the heap pointer, release set it back.

The overlay thing isn't really a problem, you can don't put calls to segment procedures in a tight loop.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:25 pm 

If you use deeply nested procedure calls in BBC Basic then I seem to remember that it periodically frees up space buy copying it to a software stack growing down from the top of RAM.

Open Source Projects - https://github.com/andrew-jacobs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:52 am 

I've been rummaging through a PDF of Mark Plumbley's book "BASIC ROM User Guide" - it's got a lot of detail about Basic's internals, and its use of STACK and HEAP - as you say, STACK is at the top, just below HIMEM, and HEAP is at the bottom, just after the Basic program, at TOP. Or LOMEM. (See here: http://beebwiki.mdfs.net/BASIC_memory_usage)

It seems that while Basic does check for excessive nesting of FOR, PROC, GOSUB, it doesn't check for excessive parentheses. That seems dodgy, but presumably it's rarely a problem. Looks like each nested level of parentheses uses 14 bytes of stack.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:28 pm 

BigEd wrote:
It seems that while Basic does check for excessive nesting of FOR, PROC, GOSUB, it doesn't check for excessive parentheses. That seems dodgy, but presumably it's rarely a problem. Looks like each nested level of parentheses uses 14 bytes of stack.

I suspect what would happen if parentheses were nested too deeply is BASIC would realize it was running out of stack space during the evaluation and would report an error to that effect. In BASIC 2.0 on the Commodore 64, you'd get a ?FORMULA TOO COMPLEX error.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:07 pm 

According to the book there's no check - it wraps the stack and runs off who knows where. Empirically I'm seeing the No such variable error, but that doesn't tell us either way.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:57 pm 

BigEd wrote:
According to the book there's no check - it wraps the stack and runs off who knows where.

Ouch! :evil: