6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:10 pm 

I programmed in 6502 assembly exclusively for two years straight, back in the 80s, but I don't think any individual program exceeded 500 instructions (a few KB of final binary). Back then, on my Atari 800XL, it was mostly small experiments as I learned to use the machine. Each experiment unlocking a new mystery... and then I'd move onto the next challenge.

There's a wide range of experience this forum, with people having personally built everything from blinky LEDs to operating systems and languages.

It might be fun to hear about members' largest 65xx programming feats (as opposed small projects that integrated large external works).

Share your stories. For people who have implemented larger systems, some questions or areas that might be fun to talk about:
- Was the project scale/function known going in, or did the project evolve over time?
- Was the program modular, with each module developed and tested within a test environment and then integrated into the whole, or were new things added in-place?
- Did you make heavy use of macros?
- Was the project spread around multiple independently assembled source files and then combined using a linker to produce a single binary, or did you use independent binaries with jump tables, or did you include all source files into one large file for assembly, or something else?
- If your system processed I/O and had timing elements, could you exhaustively test all the code paths prior to integration, or did you cook up a test environment that let you simulate events, or something else?
- Did your program include telemetry, stats, counters or other run-time data to let you examine the run-time condition of the system? If so, how was that data extracted and observed?
- Did your system include an interface for debugging and/or examination? If so, and if your system included real-time elements (e.g. service I/O or dealt with critical timing), did you encounter any particular conflicts between debug/run-time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:26 pm 

I'm probably at the few hundred instructions level too - for all my great interest in the 6502 I don't have much code to show for it. The beeb816 project has a boot rom and maybe half the code is mine. It's only 2.5k and that includes quite a lot of strings. Didn't use macros, modules, testing, debugging... There is a makefile, which ends up doing something like this:
Code:
ca65 -l boot816.as -D BASE=0x8000 -D SRECORD_D=0
cl65 boot816.o --target none --start-addr 0x8000 -o boot816.bin
srec_cat boot816.bin > boot816.srec -Binary -offset 0x8000 -crlf -data-only

Last edited by BigEd on Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:31 pm 

I started out writing games for the Commodore pet in assembler then moved on to applications and ROMs for the BBC Microcomputer. My biggest co-authored ROM was a database package in 16K of ROM. At various times we ran out of memory space and had to rewrite sections to make the code smaller and compress all the text strings.

Open Source Projects - https://github.com/andrew-jacobs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:37 pm 

I'd be interested to know, BitWise, did you have a process for building and testing that database package? Was it modular?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:29 pm 

I've hit about 10,000 lines a few times, producing up to about 28KB. One was for a portable flight-following computer in the late 1980's for private pilots, all done in assembly language, with heavy use of macros. Compact code was imperative. Another was the automated test equipment at my last place of work around 1990. The 10K lines included the source for the Forth kernel, then the test programs in Forth. Next was the very full-featured '816 Forth source with a lot of INCLude files so someone using it could easily omit portions they didn't need, by simply commenting out the INCLude lines in the main source-code file. A much smaller 65c02 project was the '02 controller for a high-end do-everything intercom for private aircraft in 1993, shown at http://6502.org/users/garth/projects.php?project=2 . That one was only about 3KB of assembled code. We sold that one for nearly 15 years.

My last big project was finished in 2014, around 7K lines including macro definitions, but was on a PIC16. It used a 40-pin and a 28-pin, and I maxed out the 40-pin in every way—MHz, pins, I/O modules, timers, variable space, ROM, and stack. I used every bit of it. That's cutting it too close for comfort. I really should have started with something further up the scale. It wouldn't have been so close though if the doctor we did it for hadn't kept changing his his mind long after I got started.

sark02 wrote:
Share your stories. For people who have implemented larger systems, some questions or areas that might be fun to talk about:
- Was the project scale/function known going in, or did the project evolve over time?

All projects become bigger than expected. :lol: The first one above was the worst, as neither the boss nor I had any experience managing this type of project and he kept coming to me with a new wish list for Santa Claus, asking if we could add such-and-such a feature, and I'd think about how to do it, and say yes. The last one was for doctor who changed his mind daily.

Quote:
- Was the program modular, with each module developed and tested within a test environment and then integrated into the whole, or were new things added in-place?

Modular is pretty much mandatory. Sometimes I write most of it before I have hardware to test it on, but testing and debugging goes in modules.

Quote:
- Did you make heavy use of macros?

Always. I can't imagine anyone keeping control of a project that big without them.

Quote:
- Was the project spread around multiple independently assembled source files and then combined using a linker to produce a single binary, or did you use independent binaries with jump tables, or did you include all source files into one large file for assembly, or something else?

multiple files brought into the one assembly by INCLude directives in the main file

Quote:
- If your system processed I/O and had timing elements, could you exhaustively test all the code paths prior to integration, or did you cook up a test environment that let you simulate events, or something else?

Everything I do is heavily oriented to mostly non-human I/O, mostly with strict timing requirements. The only real way to test it is on hardware that at least emulates the final product. This is usually a breadboard but lacks much of the analog circuit details. I found out early on that software simulation is pretty worthless for this kind of work, as it does not adequately account for asynchronous events from outside.

Quote:
- Did your program include telemetry, stats, counters or other run-time data to let you examine the run-time condition of the system? If so, how was that data extracted and observed?

Much of my work is in small realtime systems where if you slow the computer down or pause it to observe something, the hardware it's connected to won't work at all; so getting snapshots on the oscilloscope is frequently necessary.

Quote:
- Did your system include an interface for debugging and/or examination? If so, and if your system included real-time elements (e.g. service I/O or dealt with critical timing), did you encounter any particular conflicts between debug/run-time.

I don't use debuggers per se or JTAG, but similar things I build into the breadboards. No conflicts. The last one was done very much per my article on simple methods for multitasking without a multitasking OS, for systems that lack the resources to implement a multitasking OS, or where hard realtime requirements would rule one out anyway. A cyclic executive was used for cycling among the tasks, but things that absolutely couldn't wait when their time came were on timer interrupts, at 39,000 per second, with interrupt latency not being affected by whatever task was running at the time of the interrupt.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:37 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I don't use debuggers per se or JTAG, but similar things I build into the breadboards. No conflicts. The last one was done very much per my article on simple methods for multitasking without a multitasking OS, for systems that lack the resources to implement a multitasking OS, or where hard realtime requirements would rule one out anyway. A cyclic executive was used for cycling among the tasks, but things that absolutely couldn't wait when their time came were on timer interrupts, at 39,000 per second, with interrupt latency not being affected by whatever task was running at the time of the interrupt.
Thanks for the info, Garth - very interesting. Are the code snippets in that article representative of your macros? If so, they're pretty slick.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:37 pm 

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Garth - very interesting. Are the code snippets in that article representative of your macros? If so, they're pretty slick.

Yes. It was the first project where I went to that length on the program-structure macros. I should add: since the multitasking was cooperative and each task itself decided when to give control to the next task, there was not a consistent speed of task-switching like there might be if an OS were working off a timer to determine when to switch tasks. But task switching happened in the approximate range of ten to fifteen thousand times per second, totally asynchronous to the 39,000 timer interrupts per second for the part that had to be on a very strict schedule with minimal jitter for audio signal sampling. The overhead of switching tasks is tiny if you can let the task wrap things up neatly before giving up control, giving it a chance to come to a good stopping point.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:01 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I should add: since the multitasking was cooperative and each task itself decided when to give control to the next task, there was not a consistent speed of task-switching like there might be if an OS were working off a timer to determine when to switch tasks. [...] The overhead of switching tasks is tiny if you can let the task wrap things up neatly before giving up control, giving it a chance to come to a good stopping point.
I worked on a fairly large Ethernet switch product in the late 90s (one of the first Gigabit Ethernet switches) that used cooperative multitasking much like this. There were 30+ modules, each scheduled via a message queue. Each time around the "big loop", any module with a non-empty message queue had its entry-point invoked. The module ran to completion and then returned. Simple 'C'. No "context" to save or restore. Switches like these run all sorts of applications and protocols. Everything had to be state-machine driven as there was no escape within a single call chain (no threading). We did it... but it gave me a new appreciation for OSes that maintain thread-state. Eventually (after 3 or so years) one of the engineers implemented a thread-state mechanism that would allow a single run of code to say, 'yield()', which would push a message to the front of the module's message queue and then return to the big loop. When the big loop re-entered the module, its state would be restored and it would continue from the "return" of yield. It was all still co-operative, but it permitted more straightforward code without forcing everything to be an FSM. It was a cute hack, but wasn't used beyond a few proofs of concept as the whole team were hardened to FSMs by then.

Good times.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:04 pm 

My largest project would have been that time I attempted to write a "tracker" style music program for the SFX Sound Expander on the C64. The Sound Expander used a chip, YM3526 (OPL), that was the direct ancestor of the YM3812 (OPL2) that was used in AdLib (-compatible) sound cards on the PC. It's a fairly rare expansion module, and there were really no programs that made use of it.

I got as far as having a very simple instrument editor and single-channel music playback that would play "patterns" (phrases?) sequentially. The thing that kept the project from going further was that I would have had to write a more general GUI in order to really make it useful, and that was just too complicated and boring.

It might have been a thousand lines or so of code. All written in "Turboassembler" on the C64, all in one file, no macros, no modularity to speak of.

Development was mostly in the style of "write a few lines of code, assemble, run, inspect memory, reset machine, restart assembler, write some more..." so none of that modern debugger nonsense. This actually works reasonably well when you can instantly see the results of what you are doing. At least as long as you can keep everything in memory and can just keep going. If I'd had to reload the assembler and source for every iteration I wouldn't have gotten past even playing one note.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:09 am 

magetoo wrote:
My largest project would have been that time I attempted to write a "tracker" style music program for the SFX Sound Expander on the C64. The Sound Expander used a chip, YM3526 (OPL), that was the direct ancestor of the YM3812 (OPL2) that was used in AdLib (-compatible) sound cards on the PC.
Very cool. I wrote a YM2149 emulator in ARM assembly for the Nintendo Gameboy Advance for something I did back in '03. I was never really into sounds effects and music back in the 80s, and whenever I'd try to do something on the 8-bit Atari, I tended to get little more than a farting sound. I was often amazed at what people could do with trackers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:57 am 

magetoo wrote:
... It might have been a thousand lines or so of code. All written in "Turboassembler" on the C64, all in one file, no macros, no modularity to speak of.

My kind of guy! Yeah!

Quote:
Development was mostly in the style of "write a few lines of code, assemble, run, inspect memory, reset machine, restart assembler, write some more..." so none of that modern debugger nonsense. This actually works reasonably well when you can instantly see the results of what you are doing. At least as long as you can keep everything in memory and can just keep going. If I'd had to reload the assembler and source for every iteration I wouldn't have gotten past even playing one note.

My adaptation and subsequent enhancements of the VTL-2 mini-interpreter came to about 1K lines of source (and about 1K bytes of executable), plus or minus, but I used a cross-assembler and emulator to ease the process somewhat. I had to find a few bugs with strategic break-points, and a few others by hand-simulating parts of the source. All in all, a satisfying little journey ... not too easy, not too difficult.

Mike B.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:52 am 

sark02 wrote:
I was never really into sounds effects and music back in the 80s, and whenever I'd try to do something on the 8-bit Atari, I tended to get little more than a farting sound. I was often amazed at what people could do with trackers.

:-)

I didn't do anything meaningful with sound in the 80s either, the music editor project would have been in the mid-late 90s.

My memories of early sound programming are two things: First, going through the BASIC examples and typing in the various programs that would go "bing" in slightly different ways; and then later on piping audio into the SID chip's audio input and trying to read it out with PEEK commands. (That didn't work.)

Off topic: It arguably wasn't really a tracker project either, strictly speaking, but I suppose that depends on the definition. A tracker, as I've always understood it, arranges music into multi-channel patterns and then lets you string together those patterns in a sequence.

There is also another flavor of music editor that was (less) popular, which instead would use single-channel patterns of variable length, and let you do transposition of those in addition to defining the sequence in which they played, for each channel independently. This saved memory compared to doing things the tracker way, where you might manually copy a drum track into multiple patterns, or copy-and-transpose a bass line.

I believe this style originated on 8-bit systems; at least Rob Hubbard's music routine for the C64 did something very similar. He would have banged in music data as hex values in a machine code monitor though, no editor needed!

That was that style of music editor I was going for.

Somewhat back on topic, C= Hacking issue 5 (1993) did have a commented disassembly of Hubbard's routine. For someone who grew up on C64 music, this was like finding the holy grail!

http://www.ffd2.com/fridge/chacking/c=hacking5.txt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:23 am 

Only slightly O.T., but since the subject was brought up: As a musician who can play by ear, improvise, and do a little composing, I had visions of using my 65c02 workbench computer to write music and play it on my musical keyboard, so I put a MIDI port on the computer. Although I made it work (for sequences of notes that were too short to be considered significant), I never really did anything with it like write software to input, write, or edit music. The hardware capability is there, proven by just enough software to select voices and send some notes and hear them, but nothing more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:42 am 

magetoo wrote:
I believe this style originated on 8-bit systems; at least Rob Hubbard's music routine for the C64 did something very similar. He would have banged in music data as hex values in a machine code monitor though, no editor needed!
Funny the nostalgic detours this conversation is taking. That YM2149 emulator I wrote on ARM was for the purpose of playing a Rob Hubbard tune that he'd written for an Atari ST game. :D
Quote:
http://www.ffd2.com/fridge/chacking/c=hacking5.txt
Fascinating!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:49 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Only slightly O.T., but since the subject was brought up: As a musician who can play by ear, improvise, and do a little composing, I had visions of using my 65c02 workbench computer to write music and play it on my musical keyboard, so I put a MIDI port on the computer. Although I made it work (for sequences of notes that were too short to be considered significant), I never really did anything with it like write software to input, write, or edit music. The hardware capability is there, proven by just enough software to select voices and send some notes and hear them, but nothing more.
I envy your musical ability. I did two years of piano in my 20s, but things came up and I never got back to it. Nowadays I could make excuses for why I won't take it up again, but in all honesty it simply isn't the priority that the romanticized version of me would like it to be.

I have a MIDI keyboard that I hooked up to my Atari ST for a time. I didn't get much out of it, but it was cool to play with.

It sounds like you and magetoo should get together on a project!