6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:41 am 

There's a very interesting thread over at HP Museum, where Thomas Klemm has noted that Python is a convenient high-level language which compiles to bytecode and which includes introspection - so you can automatically convert from python, via bytecode, to a machine language of choice. Python can disassemble its own bytecode so the transformations can be text-based.

The whole thing works well if the machine language of choice has a structural resemblance to python bytecode - in this case it's Focal, which runs on the HP-41C calculator. Perhaps one could convert to a virtual machine like Forth or Sweet 16, or perhaps to assembly language, perhaps in a threaded style.

Thomas put up an example you can run in your browser. His 300 line program converts
Code:
def gcd(a, b):
    while b != 0:
        a, b = b, a % b
    return a
to
Code:
LBL "GCD"
STO 01 ; b
RDN
STO 00 ; a
RDN
LBL 00
RCL 01 ; b
X=Y?
GTO 01
RCL 01 ; b
RCL 00 ; a
RCL 01 ; b
MOD
X<>Y
STO 00 ; a
RDN
STO 01 ; b
RDN
GTO 00
LBL 01
LBL 02
RCL 00 ; a
RTN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:21 am 

Very interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:28 pm 

I contribute to a java bytecode compiler project (java_grinder), which is based on a similar concept. Some random thoughts:

-It's totally worth doing this with Python, especially if you can work out a way to call ML routines. Then its just like mixing BASIC/ML back in the day - but with a much nicer & faster language.

-You can also interpret the bytecode as you see fit. For example, my efforts were limited to 16-bit integers and lack floating-point support.

-Using a separate data stack made life a lot easier, see:
http://wilsonminesco.com/stacks/virtualstacks.html

Working on this sort of stuff has been very rewarding for me, I highly encourage it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:56 pm 

I've actually used Python to compile my Forth-83 implementation for the VIC-20. The input source code is entirely Forth (based on the 6502 reference model) and the compiler generates a binary image which contains the elemental words (compiled from Forth ASSEMBLER words) and the rest as a list of constituent words.

Using Python meant building and testing the compiler was easy, I have classes for stacks, target code blocks etc and I can dump the contents of the dictionary to help with debugging.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:28 pm 

srowe wrote:
I've actually used Python to compile my Forth-83 implementation for the VIC-20. The input source code is entirely Forth (based on the 6502 reference model)
Welcome, srowe. Nice work defying the "chicken or the egg" problem! As you know, it's usually necessary to use a conventional assembler to create the Forth kernal, which means low-level definitions in the reference code (written in the RPN syntax expected by Forth's own assembler) can't be used.

You may wish to elaborate on what you've done by starting a thread in the Forth section of the forum.

Cheers,
Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:37 pm 

Yes, welcome! I see there is a thread elsewhere (V-FORTH - Forth-83 for the VIC) with an attachment too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:50 am 

Thanks. That version is a little out of date (but the git URL is still valid). I'll create a post in the Forth section shortly.