6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 65c02 advantages
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:55 pm 

From a programming standpoint, what are the advantages of the 65c02? Are there any special tricks you can do on the newer chip that aren't possible on the older one?

Post subject: Re: 65c02 advantages
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:04 pm 

It has more instructions and addressing modes, and all the bugs of the NMOS 6502 are fixed, the first one that comes to mind being the JMP(xxFF) bug. In WDC's excellent, free programming manual at http://65xx.com/Products/Programming-Manual/ , there's a section on the instruction sets where each instruction has a page, and near the bottom of each page it tells which processors have this instruction and in what addressing modes, for the 6502, 65c02, and 65816. You'll find quite a few that are in the 65c02 column but not the (NMOS) 6502 column.

I'd like to put all the NMOS-versus-CMOS differences on a single web page but there are other projects in line ahead of it. Edit: done. http://wilsonminesco.com/NMOS-CMOSdif/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:38 pm 

I may have mentioned this before, but there is an instruction table at http://www.defence-force.org/computing/oric/coding/annexe_2/. This table also indicates what processor architectures (6502, 65c02, 65816) support each instruction (and addressing mode).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 pm 

There's also a more compact table at http://www.llx.com/~nparker/a2/opcodes.html.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:17 pm 

To answer a little more directly, without combing throught my code to make comparisons especially with the indirect and indexed modes:

Although all the 65c02 additions are valuable for one thing or another, I'd say my favorites that come to mind are
  • the ability to Branch Relative Always (BRA) without having to use a condition (like BNE, BPL, etc.)
  • the ability to directly push and pull X and Y (with PHX, PLX, PHY, and PLY) without having to go through A
  • the ability to STore Zero (STZ) in a memory location without first loading one of the registers with 0
  • the ability to Test and Set/Reset Bits (TSB, TRB) against A
  • the ability to directly INCrement and DECrement A

I wish the bit instructions
  • BBS, or Branch on Bit Set, letting you specify which bit of which which memory location to test, and how far in which direction to branch if the bit is set, all in one instruction, without affecting any registers (not even status)
  • BBR, or Branch on Bit Reset, letting you specify which bit of which which memory location to test, and how far in which direction to branch if the bit is reset, all in one instruction, without affecting any registers (not even status)
  • SMB, or Set Memory Bit, letting you specify which bit to set and in which memory location, all in one instruction, without affecting any registers
  • RMB, or Reset Memory Bit, letting you specify which bit to reset and in which memory location, all in one instruction, without affecting any registers

were made for absolute addressing, instead of ZP. This would make them a lot more valuable, since they're mainly useful for I/O; but I/O is seldom in ZP.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:00 am 

Thanks for the information, it's been fun reading through it all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:41 pm 

To add to Garth's list, the most useful feature for me was the unindexed zero page indirect mode, which meant you could write:
Code:
lda ($00)

instead of having to do
Code:
ldy #$00
lda ($00),y

(and preserve Y where necessary).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:04 pm 

The 65C02 also addresses an NMOS "feature" that has bitten more than a few assembly language programmers. If the NMOS 6502 (6510, 8502, etc.) is operating in decimal mode when an interrupt is processed, it will remain in decimal mode, with possibly undefined results within the interrupt handler. The 65C02 clears decimal mode when an interrupt is processed, eliminating a potential programming booby trap.

My opinion is that there is absolutely no earthly reason to use the NMOS hardware for any new design. The 65C02 and 65C816 address a number of errata present in the NMOS parts and also support higher clock speeds (officially up to 14 MHz). In fact, for a new design, I recommend starting with the 65C816, which can be run in 8 bit emulation mode until one gets sufficiently familiar with it to switch to native mode.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:39 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
The 65C02 also addresses an NMOS "feature" that has bitten more than a few assembly language programmers. If the NMOS 6502 (6510, 8502, etc.) is operating in decimal mode when an interrupt is processed, it will remain in decimal mode, with possibly undefined results within the interrupt handler. The 65C02 clears decimal mode when an interrupt is processed, eliminating a potential programming booby trap.

The normal thing to do in NMOS 6502 interrupt-service routines was to start it with CLD, which unfortunately increases the interrupt overhead, along with having to put X and Y through A to push them.

Quote:
My opinion is that there is absolutely no earthly reason to use the NMOS hardware for any new design. The 65C02 and 65C816 address a number of errata present in the NMOS parts and also support higher clock speeds (officially up to 14 MHz). In fact, for a new design, I recommend starting with the 65C816, which can be run in 8 bit emulation mode until one gets sufficiently familiar with it to switch to native mode.

I might go even further, and say that unless you're running legacy '02 code, there may no reason not to just put the '816 in native mode immediately in the reset routine and leave it there permanently.

RichTW wrote:
To add to Garth's list, the most useful feature for me was the unindexed zero page indirect mode

Definitely another valuable one. I couldn't think of them all at once when I was writing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:47 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
The normal thing to do in NMOS 6502 interrupt-service routines was to start it with CLD, which unfortunately increases the interrupt overhead, along with having to put X and Y through A to push them.

A clock cycle here and a clock cycle there...and before you know it, you're into some serious processing time. (A paraphrase of something said at a U.S. congressional hearing about cost overruns in the space program.)

Quote:
Quote:

I might go even further, and say that unless you're running legacy '02 code, there may no reason not to just put the '816 in native mode immediately in the reset routine and leave it there permanently.

My only caveat for the first-time builder is that the '816 native mode interrupt handlers are potentially more complicated, depending on what is being accomplished. For the purposes of debugging the hardware, remaining in emulation mode may make things a little easier.

Quote:
RichTW wrote:
To add to Garth's list, the most useful feature for me was the unindexed zero page indirect mode

Definitely another valuable one. I couldn't think of them all at once when I was writing.

In the '816, stack pointer relative addressing modes and the stack push instructions PEA, PEI and PER are quite useful, even in emulation mode. I hasten to add that a 65C816 newbie doesn't have to use any of that stuff, and can stick with the basic 6502 instruction set while getting to know the processor. However, once the programmer does gain familiarity, he'll wonder how he ever got along without the new instructions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:46 pm 

Be warned that once you start with the 65c02, there is no going back. After using BRA, PHX, and STZ for a while, you won't want to miss them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:09 am 

I find myself using other types of branches (such as bcc, bcs, bne, beq or whathever) as "branch always", because it's common that one of the flags will be predictable at some place, and then I just add "branch always" in the commants to make it clear. Of course, whenever you actually can't predict anything and have to use jmp, bra is probably useful to save a byte, but it's not the end of the world if you don't have it.

However, I can't comment about the others, as they sound quite useful. However, INC A and DEC A are probably the 65c02 instructions that are the most missing in the original instruction set, because CLC ADC #01 or SEC SBC #01 is terribly annoying, 3 bytes just to increment/decrement.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:03 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
However, I can't comment about the others, as they sound quite useful. However, INC A and DEC A are probably the 65c02 instructions that are the most missing in the original instruction set, because CLC ADC #01 or SEC SBC #01 is terribly annoying, 3 bytes just to increment/decrement.

The ability to push and pull .X and .Y without clobbering .A is invaluable.