6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:55 pm 

Hello everyone.

Small poll / feeler: who uses the new WDC opcodes in the $_7 and $_F columns? Those include RMB, SMB, BBR, and BBS instructions? I personally have never used them.

Im not asking hypotheticals on *why* to use them. Im just flat out asking if you actually use them, and in what.

Reason for this is Dr Jefyl is suggesting a fix for a board Im working on, and removing the (typical) use of those instructions would be one way to fix it.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7407

I could have interpretted him incorrectly, but it I think this would fix the issue anyways. Im not asking to look at my other topic necessarily, just if you use these newer instructions or not.

Thank you everyone!

Chad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:30 pm 

the Video Card i've been working on will have a 65c02 as co-processor on it, so i mapped it's IO into the ZP so i could make use of those instructions for slightly more compact code.
example from the Video CPU's Boot code that sits inside a small 128B ROM:
Code:
get_byte:                       ; Bit 7 is the Empty Flag of the Receiving (RX) FIFO
    BBS7 STATUS, get_byte       ; Loop for as long as it's 1 (ie FIFO has no Data in it)
    LDA RX_FIFO                 ; Once it's 0, read a Byte from it
RTS

I'll have to see how much of a difference that's gonna make

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:52 pm 

Well, as soon as Rockwell released their R65C02 in the 80's, I bought a couple (still have them) and have been making good use of the extended instructions and addressing modes ever since. My current C02 Monitor and BIOS use the bit set (RMB, SMB, BBSx, BBRx) instructions quite a bit. Those allow a single page zero location to serve as 8 separate flags that can be set, reset and tested/branched on, which is quite helpful.

I also use all of the stack instructions (PHX, PHY, PLX, PLY), the STZ opcodes, JMP (addr,X) and other enhancements to the indirect addressing modes. For examples of many of these, just grab my current C02 Monitor and BIOS code from github. They can save memory space and in many cases code execution time as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:17 pm 

sburrow wrote:
Small poll / feeler: who uses the new WDC opcodes in the $_7 and $_F columns?

Just to be clear, these instructions only apply to the 65C02.

Also note that the “bit-twiddlers” (BBR, BBS, RMB and SMB), aka “Rockwell extensions”, are not “new WDC opcodes,” despite what the 65C02 data sheet says. They are instructions that Rockwell, who was the first licensee of the 65C02 design, added after they started using the 65C02 in modem applications. Bill Mensch’s original 65C02 design did not have them—they all mapped to NOPs.

Other licensed producers of the 65C02 could not include the Rockwell extensions into their renditions of the 65C02 due to licensing restrictions, as they were proprietary to Rockwell’s product. This created the undesirable situation of there being incompatible versions of the same device on the market. WDC subsequently added the Rockwell extensions to the basic design, which made it legal for other licensees to produce MPUs with them.

Note that the Eyes & Lichty programming manual doesn’t mention the Rockwell extensions anywhere in the main text. They are relegated to an appendix, since at the time the manual was written, those instructions weren’t part of the official 65C02 assembly language.

Quote:
Those include RMB, SMB, BBR, and BBS instructions? I personally have never used them.

That’s two of us, and I used to do a lot of 65C02 development back in the 1990s.

The main limitation of the BBx and xMB instructions is they only work on zero page, which hampers their generality. Furthermore, the xMB instructions can only clear/set one bit at a time. Contrast that with TRB and TSB, which can operate on an arbitrary number of bits, plus have both zero page and absolute addressing modes, making them more useful in most applications.

Lastly, consider that a 65C02 program using BBx and xMB cannot be run on a 65C816, even in emulation mode.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:00 am 

I have never used the 65C02 instructions - a large fraction of my 6502 experience was NMOS, and I haven't seriously used the 65C02.

However, my 65020 extension has equivalent instructions, which I use a lot more often than I was expecting to. Their main use is for packing a number of flags into a single byte, like floobydust explains.

My version can access any byte in memory, which makes them good for testing/manipulating status/control bits in IO registers as well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:41 pm 

I used BBR0-3 in my university project.

Basically, I had the input buttons wired up to a shift register which was fed in and then run through a debounce routine. It'd end up with a byte in Page0 with a bit set to '1' for each button that had been newly pressed. Used BBRx to branch over the processing code for each button if they were not pressed.

Could I have done it another way? absolutely, but as I had control over where this byte value was to be located, it was convenient to use BBR. Also a design goal of the project was to exercise as much of the instruction set as possible, so this helped achieve that, too.

relevant code snippet...
Code:
    ; User input has changed
    AND     <ButtonNew      ; Now A contains '1' for Positive Edge Button events only.
    STA     <ButtonOld      ; ButtonOld is out of date anyway, so re-use it to store above value.

; Take Heap 1
    BBR0    <ButtonOld, ?SkipTakeHeap1  ; If bit 0 clear, user has not pressed Take on Heap 1
    LDA     <HeapSelect     ; If HeapSelect = 2 or 3, don't decrement.
    CMP     #2
    BEQ     ?SkipTakeHeap1
    CMP     #3
    BEQ     ?SkipTakeHeap1
    LDA     <Heap1          ; Don't decrement or record selection if Heap 1 isn't zero.
    BEQ     ?SkipTakeHeap1
    LDA     #1              ; Record that player has selected heap 1
    STA     <HeapSelect
    DEC     <Heap1          ; Decrement Heap.
?SkipTakeHeap1:

; Take Heap 2
    BBR1    <ButtonOld, ?SkipTakeHeap2  ; If bit 1 clear, user has not pressed Take on Heap 2
    LDA     <HeapSelect     ; If HeapSelect = 1 or 3, don't decrement.
    CMP     #1
    BEQ     ?SkipTakeHeap2
    CMP     #3
    BEQ     ?SkipTakeHeap2
    LDA     <Heap2          ; Don't decrement or record selection if Heap 2 isn't zero.
    BEQ     ?SkipTakeHeap2
    LDA     #2              ; Record that player has selected heap 2
    STA     <HeapSelect
    DEC     <Heap2          ; Decrement Heap.
?SkipTakeHeap2:

; Take Heap 3
    BBR2    <ButtonOld, ?SkipTakeHeap3  ; If bit 2 clear, user has not pressed Take on Heap 3
    LDA     <HeapSelect     ; If HeapSelect = 1 or 2, don't decrement.
    CMP     #1
    BEQ     ?SkipTakeHeap3
    CMP     #2
    BEQ     ?SkipTakeHeap3
    LDA     <Heap3          ; Don't decrement or record selection if Heap 3 isn't zero.
    BEQ     ?SkipTakeHeap3
    LDA     #3              ; Record that player has selected heap 3
    STA     <HeapSelect
    DEC     <Heap3          ; Decrement Heap.
?SkipTakeHeap3:

; Done Button
    BBR3    <ButtonOld, ?SkipDone  ; If bit 3 clear, user has not pressed Done
    LDA     <HeapSelect     ; Check if player has done at least one by checking HeapSelect.
    BEQ     ?SkipDone       ; If HeapSelect=0, cannot go to next player's turn.
    JSR     CheckVictory    ; Check if the player has won. If they have, CheckVictory does not return.
    LDA     <Turn
    BEQ     ?TurnIsGreen    ; If Z=1 then Turn=0, hence Green.
    LDA     #$FF            ; If turn was 1 (red), overwrite A with FF so that INC A gives 0 (green).
?TurnIsGreen:
    INC     A               ; If TurnIsGreen, A now=1 hence RED. If not, A now=0, hence GREEN.
    STA     <Turn
    STZ     <HeapSelect     ; Clear HeapSelect
?SkipDone:

Also, on the WDC Microcontroller W65C134 these instructions are extremely useful as all the built-in I/O registers are mapped to Zero Page. I haven't actually written any software yet (still doing the hardware design), but I very much intend to make liberal use of these instructions on my current project that is designed around the '134.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:37 pm