6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: focal
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:40 am 

hi i was hopping that some one had a pointer to focal 65-e source code with labels and comments...i need them as the only one i have been able to find has generated labels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:54 am 

Focal, the HP-41 language?? :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:31 pm 

no focal is a joss like language created by dec in the 60's, from what i can gather a no defunct company named aresco and some thing about a 6502 program exchange had versions for the kim-1 i have a listing that looks as though it was generated by a disassembler....i need meaningful labels before i would want to adapt the code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:59 am 

There was a thread about Focal a while back:

viewtopic.php?t=481

It's not entirely clear to me from that thread whether anyone has any actual source code or whether it's all just disassembler output.

What do wish to accomplish? Are you just trying to port it to whatever 6502 system/simulator you're using or do you want to modify it and/or extend it? I tried porting the "disassembler output" KIM version. I just supplied an input routine, an output routine and a BRK vector and, though I did not test it extensively, it seemed to be working and the simple things I tried did pretty much what I expected. (Though I used the disassembler output as a guide, I ported the object code, rather than the assembly. I did not attempt any relocation, which made the process far easier than it otherwise would have been.)

Even without meaningful labels or comments, the disassembler output looks like it would need a little more work before being used. For example, there are several tables of (internal) addresses that were disassembled as constants rather than labels, so all those addresses would be incorrect if only the origin were changed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:36 am 

was hoping to get it going on daryl rictor's sbc simulator and/or my a2c...before i got down and dirty with finishing my own sbc.... ether way i wanted to finally make the transition from beginner/intermediate 6502er to real assembly language programmer! and i just like focal for interactive programming