6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:33 am 

In my post, the second one in this topic, I wrote:
Quote:
Jack Ganssle has a new book out called "Math Tool Kit for Real-Time Programming" (Lawrence, KS: CMP Books, 2000). He has his own website at www.ganssle.com . I do intend to get it myself. It's not at all specific to the 6502 family, but has all kinds of algorithms that are well explained without getting any more heavily into theory than necessary. I understand another good book is John Hart's "Computer Approximations" (Malabar, FL: Robert E. Drieger Publishing Company, 1968); but while Crenshaw lays out the Welcome mat, Hart's explanations will require a Ph.D. in math to understand. (That means it's not for me!)

That was over 10 years ago and I forgot all about it. (I also see now it was Jack Crenshaw, not Jack Ganssle. I got the mixed up because I kept seeing both of them in Embedded Systems Programming magazine.) Now it's available for free download, and I just downloaded it from <Edit: link removed due to it possibly being illegal. See following posts.> . It's almost 500 pages and does not look super complicated.

Last edited by GARTHWILSON on Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:00 am 

Thanks. Difficulty on my part, I cant get any form of bit torrents out here. Can someone download and throw it to me in email? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:01 am 

It's a .pdf of about 4MB. I just emailed it. I'm sure I've sent other emails that big and a lot more without any problem, but let me know by email or PM if it didn't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:28 pm 

Got it! thanks! I will post it in a folder tonight for others who cannot get bit torrents going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:02 pm 

Tut tut.

Why are pirates called pirates?
They just arrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Open Source Projects - https://github.com/andrew-jacobs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:13 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
it's available for free download
Yes and no: this copy would not be a legitimate copy, I think. I'm surprised we're OK with posting links to torrents like that.

Quote:
Tut tut

Indeed!

(This isn't quite like the case of 30-year old ROMs from defunct companies, in my view - a moral rather than legal view.)

The book is £20 or $18 used - it may well be worth paying for.

Cheers
Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:22 pm 

If the author has made the book available now for free, I have no qualms about a repost there. Figured others might be in the same boat of not being able to use torrents to get the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:27 pm 

I'd agree, but I don't get the impression that the author has made the book available for free...

(Edit: reworded)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:20 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Now it's available for free download, and I just downloaded it from http://www.kat.ph/math-toolkit-for-real ... 10104.html . It's almost 500 pages and does not look super complicated.

I went to that location and it wanted me to sign up for something before I could download anything. I decided to pass...I don't randomly sign up for things. Great way to increase one's spam intake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:22 pm 

I intended to buy a paper copy, but this is what I found. It's not scanned, but is apparently from the original files sent to the printer, so I didn't have any reason to suspect anything other than that it was released for this kind of distribution. I just searched again, and it looks like the reason I didn't find the paper one the first time is because I had a space in "toolkit" instead of making it all one word. It seems that if there were anything illegal about the online one, it would not be an original .pdf but a scan, and the bit-torrent thing would have been shut down. I was thinking of having it printed at a local office-supply place, but I might as well just buy the book and then I'll have a normal binding too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:27 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I intended to buy a paper copy, but this is what I found. It's not scanned, but is apparently from the original files sent to the printer, so I didn't have any reason to suspect anything other than that it was released for this kind of distribution. I just searched again, and it looks like the reason I didn't find the paper one the first time is because I had a space in "toolkit" instead of making it all one word. It seems that if there were anything illegal about the online one, it would not be an original .pdf but a scan, and the bit-torrent thing would have been shut down. I was thinking of having it printed at a local office-supply place, but I might as well just buy the book and then I'll have a normal binding too.

Could I trouble you to forward the PDF to me via E-mail?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:36 pm 

It sounds very suspicious to me, no matter what form the pdf is. Does it contain a copyright notice? Is there anything in the file or on the web where the publisher or the author tells you that the book has been released like that?

If it had been released, I would expect it to be available in a more conventional form than a torrent.

That the torrent hasn't been taken down doesn't say much.

Sorry, I remain skeptical. Bitwise was more concise about it!

Cheers
Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:35 pm 

A proportion of the book can be read online on Google Books.

Cheers
Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:53 pm 

I'm a bit skeptical too. I downloaded it and took a look. It does indeed look like it's from a native electronic format, not scanned. However there's nothing in the copyright section that's changed from the paper version, i.e. it's all copyrighted.

And it's still sold in paper format (new, not used) from Amazon. '4 new' just now. They also sell a Kindle version, so I was wondering if this PDF is somehow transformed from the Kindle version by somebody.

If I find that I can use this book then I'll buy a paper copy from Amazon, if I can't find it in the nearest University bookshop. Amazon will let you take a good look at the content btw.

-Tor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:59 pm 

After a little more looking around, it looks like what might have happened is that someone with an ACM Digital Library (or similar) subscription might have downloaded it, which they were free to do, but then posted it for others to download, and I suppose the bit-torrent thing makes it hard to trace where it came from so they stay out of trouble. Although the website is kat.ph (Philipines?), it's hosted in Canada. I checked because I wondered if it was some third-world country where it would be easy to get away with distributing things illegally.

If anyone finds other info, let us know. Meanwhile, I guess I better edit my first post above.

Quote:
It sounds very suspicious to me, no matter what form the pdf is. Does it contain a copyright notice? Is there anything in the file or on the web where the publisher or the author tells you that the book has been released like that?

If it had been released, I would expect it to be available in a more conventional form than a torrent.

I looked, and the copyright page does have:
Quote:
No part of this publication may be reproduced or distributed in any form or by any means, or stored in a database or retrieval system, without the prior written permission of the publisher; with the exception that the program listings may be entered, stored, and executed in a computer system, but they may not be reproduced for publication

and I compared it to the copyright page in the programming manual WDC has online and found it has no such notice.

This is getting stranger by the minute. The copyright page also has:
Quote:
Distributed in the U.S. by:
Publishers Group West
1700 Fourth Street
Berkeley, California 94710
1-800-788-3123
www.pgw.com

So I called them up to ask, and after I gave the woman the title and ISBN, she says, "That's not our book."

Quote:
I went to that location and it wanted me to sign up for something before I could download anything. I decided to pass...I don't randomly sign up for things. Great way to increase one's spam intake.

I don't either, and I did not give them any email address or other info, but it seemed like they just wanted me to be able to help distribute it, since that would reduce their upload bandwidth requirements.