6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC

In the past 12 months, how much assembly coding did you do?
None 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
A few lines 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
A few tens of lines 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
A few hundreds of lines 37%  37%  [ 15 ]
A few thousands of lines 27%  27%  [ 11 ]
Even more! 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 41
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:09 pm 

I wrote a few thousand lines of 65C02 assembly since January 2015 (added to C.R. Bond's floating-point library, for my RPN desktop calculator project). The last time, it was 20 years ago -well, it seems that my brain still reports a "running" status.

Marc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:06 am 

A few thousands, writing a TCP/IP stack for the Apple II called Marina. Started in February this year, so it's not quite a year old. No TCP yet, but it does UDP just fine and has a Berkeley Sockets API. No real apps other than a DHCP client and a DNS resolver.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:45 am 

Welcome Dog Cow - that sounds very impressive! Feel free to post about the project: it would be good to know more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:34 am 

Yeah, I've been lurking on this forum for the past 5 years, now I finally speak up. :D I'll see about posting a topic on it soon. It's presented a number of interesting challenges, and I'm by no means an expert 6502 programmer, but I've learned a lot!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:53 am 

We've had several threads in the past where people announce and discuss their ongoing project, and we all get to share in the learning experience as the project advances - so please don't feel you have to finish something before posting about it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:14 pm 

BigEd wrote:
We've had several threads in the past where people announce and discuss their ongoing project, and we all get to share in the learning experience as the project advances - so please don't feel you have to finish something before posting about it!

Ed's right. Publishing as you go makes it more interesting and shows others how your thinking evolved, what problems you encountered, how you overcame them, etc. I'm guilty of doing lots of out-loud thinking around here, as are others. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:11 pm 

I am afraid I still code in Natural Language (English, and a very little French. Ostensibly Latin and Spanish, but I rmember almost none of it!).

Good to see that about 18% of you are in the same boat! (i.e. few tens of lines or fewer). I might count the time spent trying to make the 65-0-2-opoly and "trial programs" and reach the "100 lines" mark, but that is stretching it. As it is my few tens of lines were sent to one of the "emulator-assemblers" you guys have posted, on-line. Just to check their syntax!

I have never RUN code, on a machine that RUNS code!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:51 pm 

Oh yeah; BDD ; me too! TONS of out-loud thinking! (I am a man of few means--not to complain, too much, as my generation, first, I think, of all generations, is most tuned to "frugal, sustainable" thinking--and thus, I DREAM most of my inventions, and start and/or finish, very few. I consider the "cutting room floor" as "somebody else's problem/opportunity". "Marketplace of Ideas"! Indeed!).