6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:32 am 

DerTrueForce wrote:
Does that cause a spurious NMI on startup? Or is that masked by the reset sequence?

The MPU doesn't respond to NMIB while reset is low, so it doesn't matter. If you want a truly warm and fuzzy feeling about it, you can insert an R-C network into the Vcc feed to the reset generator to extend the reset time a little bit, thus guaranteeing that NMIB will be high before the MPU comes out of reset.

Speaking of NMIs, your NMI handler should be written so it doesn't do anything if the MPU is executing code in your firmware when a "panic button" NMI hits. A simple stack sniff is all it takes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:12 am 

So that order came in, the one the logic probe was supposed to be in. Unfortunately, that item was discontinued.
Another reason that I don't like to shop at Jaycar. They may be Australian-owned, but some of their stocking decisions are mind-boggling. They carry the standard 2.45mm pitch pin headers, but no pcb mount sockets that will match them(they have cable-mount IDC connectors), and no right-angle versions of either. They have those machined pin socket strips, which are good for ICs and thin leads, but I've hacked up one such pin header, and while it works, it's quite fragile.
I just moved back in to uni, and I've ordered a kit probe(this one: http://www.altronics.com.au/p/k2586-logic-probe-mark-2-3-state/). It does pulse-detection by the looks. I think I'll switch the high and low LEDs around, so that it's red=low. That makes more sense to me.

I did order some protoboards along with the original probe. I'll have to get some appropriate connectors to get that idea rolling, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:46 pm 

DerTrueForce wrote:
I think I'll switch the high and low LEDs around, so that it's red=low. That makes more sense to me.

However, it is opposite of industry standard.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:25 pm 

DerTrueForce wrote:
They carry the standard 2.45mm pitch pin headers.

Uh, make that 2.54, not 2.45. It'll be important if you lay out PC boards.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:31 am 

BDD: Really? I did not know that. I wonder why that is... I won't swap them, in that case.

Garth: You're probably correct there. I'd seen 2.45, 2.5 and 2.54 in various places. Whatever they are, they're the right spacing to fit into both the protoboards that I have used them on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:41 am 

Low = true for a lot of select and enable lines like chip-select, write-enable, output-enable, etc. (which is why there's a bar over them, but phpBB software so far does not provide a way to write that), but obviously not for address and data lines where 1 is high voltage and 0 is near ground.

2.54mm is .100" which is the standard.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:12 am 

DerTrueForce wrote:
BDD: Really? I did not know that. I wonder why that is... I won't swap them, in that case.

As Garth noted, chip selects are mostly low true, so green for low (think green for "go") makes conceptual sense.

Quote:
Garth: You're probably correct there. I'd seen 2.45, 2.5 and 2.54 in various places. Whatever they are, they're the right spacing to fit into both the protoboards that I have used them on.

Garth is not probably correct. He is correct. 2.45mm would be 0.096 inches vs. 2.54mm being 0.100 inches. The pin spacing difference between the two would accumulate at the rate of 0.004 inches per pin. If you were attaching a 10 pin header with two rows of five pins you'd have an error of 0.016 inches by the time you got to the other end. The header would be unlikely to fit the board, unless you use a big hammer. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:58 am 

Now if only DB-9, DB-25, RJ-11, RJ-45, PS/2, etc. were made to go into standard perfboard with .100" hole spacing!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:33 am 

Yes, he is correct. But I only know that now because I just ran that through a unit converter. Since I work in metric units almost all the time, I don't bother much with imperial.

I have the protoboards in front of me, but I still need the right-angle connectors to do much with them. I'll need to put in an order at Core for those, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:36 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Now if only DB-9, DB-25, RJ-11, RJ-45, PS/2, etc. were made to go into standard perfboard with .100" hole spacing!

The four-port 8P8C (incorrectly referred to as RJ-45) "harmonica" I use on POC V2 has 0.100 inch (2.54mm) spacing on each row of pins. Unfortunately, one row is offset 0.050 inches (1.27mm) relative to the other. So it won't fit standard perf board without drilling a bunch of extra holes. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:16 am 

DerTrueForce wrote:
So that order came in, the one the logic probe was supposed to be in. Unfortunately, that item was discontinued.
Just for the heck of it I ordered one from Ebay, at US $7.20, free shipping. Not as cheap as that discontinued Jaycar deal, but then again their super-low price was because they were discontinuing them - as you noted.
My LP-1 probe arrived a few days ago but I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:34 am 

I would assume 2.45mm is just a typo. 2.5mm is a regular metric pin spacing. 2.54mm = 0,100" is regular imperial.

It is common practice to use a red cable for positive voltage from power supplies, black for GND, and blue for negative supply - e.g. +15V/0/-15V analogue supplies. I assume this convention causes the choice for red LEDs = positive voltage and (due to the lack of blue LEDs for many years) green LEDs to indicate negative voltages.

my 2 cents

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:15 pm 

Well, your two cents makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:38 pm 

GaBuZoMeu wrote:
It is common practice to use a red cable for positive voltage from power supplies, black for GND, and blue for negative supply - e.g. +15V/0/-15V analogue supplies. I assume this convention causes the choice for red LEDs = positive voltage and (due to the lack of blue LEDs for many years) green LEDs to indicate negative voltages.

Not sure on the LEDs. The green = low, red = high convention has been around for as long as I can remember, at least back to when I first used a logic probe to troubleshoot a digital circuit, which was in the late 1970s.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:51 am 

I have built up the ACIA board. I can't confirm whether it works or not, because I haven't tried it yet. I've got a few basic routines written for it, and I've started on a very basic monitor(read, write, and execute commands). I haven't quite finished that yet.

On another note, I have ordered and received a logic probe kit. It's built around a 4001, and the instructions say it should be good up to around 3 MHz on the two 3V cells it's designed with, and possibly up to 9 MHz on 15V(I'm not sure it'd work for 5V logic at that point, though). I haven't built the kit yet; that'll have to come a little later, as I'm not at home right now, and I didn't bring my soldering iron. I don't want to set off the fire alarm with the flux smoke. Can't afford the fine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next