6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:02 pm 

Proxy wrote:
Ardis wrote:
Can the SPI interface handle 320x240 with 16-bit color at 60 frames per second? If so, I'd rather use that than the 18-bit parallel RGB LCD I'm currently using.

nope, sadly not. SPI is way too slow for that.
the Datasheet for the ILI9341 mentions that the maximum speed of the SPI interface is 10MHz, so transferring a whole frame of data will take ~122.8ms (~8 FPS).
when it comes to graphics you just need large bandwidths which means wide data buses or very high transfer speeds.

Note that that is a limitation of the ILI9341.  The SPI spec has no speed limits, and the last I saw, which was years ago, there were SPI devices that could handle an SPI clock of close to 200 MHz.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:13 am 

Proxy wrote:
... datasheets being a bit too pessimistic.
Well, we are enthusiastic hobbyists, who goes "Wow, on my table (25 +/-2 C) with this one chip it works nearly all the time!", while manufacturer position is "per standard this and that I thereby claim and guarantee, that every single chip in full thermal range -40 to +85 C will every single time fullfill the paragraph 123.456 of the standard and will accept value anywhere from this point up as perfectly valid high input, under the risc of lawsuits" - so those ranges are usually where the manufacture is pretty sure, it would work in all conditions every time and rarely states much more, than standards, until it is selling point :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:32 am 

Exactly.

I have a commercial design which specifies a particular logic gate by manufacturer, exact part number with all the pre- and post-fixes. Not just the family and logic number... everything.

Other parts work, in testing. That part is guaranteed to. And I don't want to have to repair several hundred thousand a year when other parts fail.

Neil

p.s. to my knowledge, *none* of the devices have failed due to electronic failure. Mechanical failure, customer damage, water ingress, sure. But no electronic failures.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:59 pm 

Proxy wrote:
Ardis wrote:
Can the SPI interface handle 320x240 with 16-bit color at 60 frames per second? If so, I'd rather use that than the 18-bit parallel RGB LCD I'm currently using.

the Datasheet for the ILI9341 mentions that the maximum speed of the SPI interface is 10MHz, so transferring a whole frame of data will take ~122.8ms (~8 FPS).
when it comes to graphics you just need large bandwidths which means wide data buses or very high transfer speeds.
so like said if you want to actually get 60 FPS you have to use atleast the 8-bit parallel interface at pretty high speeds, or the 16/18-bit one at half the speed of the 8-bit interface.

Ardis wrote:
I'm trying to avoid relying on things that are too modern like a MicroSD card. I intend to have a flash memory chip to hold the firmware since I have a GQ-4X programmer already.

that's a bit of a confusing statement, µSD cards are almost 30 years old at this point, and both very cheap and easy to interface. you yourself wanted to use SPI for the display which has an equally if not more modern LCD controller on it, so why draw the line at storage?
and yea i would recommend using Flash chips for the boot code of the system. and if you give the CPU access to the ~WE pin on them you can have the CPU reprogram its own boot ROM, which can be risky but also pretty convienent as you then don't need use an external program to update the ROM.
though still having some form of storage would be a good idea, being able to load, store, and transfer files conveniently between your system and a PC can be very useful for software development.

Ardis wrote:
There will be voltage regulators changing voltage on things due to no combination of parts I'm looking at settling on a single voltage, so I suspect I'll have voltage lines for 1.8V (or whatever the FPGA needs), 3.3V and 5V going through the board.

what other parts do you have planned that would require up to 3 different voltages?
basically all FPGAs i know of can run at 1.8V-3.3V, the ILI9341 specifically needs 3.3V, cheap SRAM, Flash/ROM chips are also available for 3.3V, and the 65xx have a voltage range of 1.8V-5V.
so unless i'm missing something, you should be able to just run the whole system with only 3.3V.

Some of the SRAM and flash memory I was looking at was 3.3V, but I probably won't use them to keep the voltage lines simpler. Again, the only part that is set in stone here is the 65C816 at its heart. I'm trying to come up with a list of parts that meets my needs before making any purchases for this project. I'm trying to steer things more to a split 1.8V/5V setup with only the FPGA video chip being on the 1.8V, but 5V parts get harder and harder to find as time goes on.

There's a few reasons I want to lean away from the MicroSD card. Part of it is that I want it to function like a 16-bit handheld from the mid-to-late-90s. You didn't have electronics with their firmware on a removable microSD card. Maybe some high end cameras had them as storage, but not firmware. The other reason I'm leaning away from MicroSD is cost. A flash memory chip with more than enough storage for what I think the firmware will look like is maybe a dollar. The smallest MicroSD card I can buy from a reputable dealer/manufacturer? $4 before you factor in additional complexity, and possibly hardware, needed to take that serial data and read it into parallel data for the 65C816. I'd rather just keep everything on parallel storage. Early prototypes will be on a flash chip either in a DIP package or on a DIP adapter so I can remove it from my breadboard and slot it into my programmer for quick rewrites. Once I move onto PCB prototypes, I intend to have headers for reprogramming the firmware flash chip and the video FPGA if I don't put them in ZIF sockets.

If the ILI9341 is too slow to handle 320x240@60 FPS with 15 or 16-bit color, then I'll have to find a different LCD driver chip, I would assume. It sounds like my options are either purchasing one with a different driver or purchasing the display and driver separately so I have a suitable one in my project.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:32 pm 

Does anyone know if the ILI9341 would be able to handle the target of 16-bit color (65,536 colors) at 60 fps if all it's being sent is pixel color and a clock signal from the FPGA? If not, can someone show me how to tell which ones can so I can start looking for another LCD? I'm looking at other options now, especially after spotting a few cheaper 3.2" LCD that use different controller ICs and 3.5" ones that are decently priced if nothing else in the project pushes the budget.

ST7789V, ST7272A, HX8238 and HX8347A are the driver ICs on the screens I was looking at, but I'm not sure where to look to see which ones can handle the 60 FPS goal.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:57 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Proxy wrote:
Ardis wrote:

Note that that is a limitation of the ILI9341.  The SPI spec has no speed limits, and the last I saw, which was years ago, there were SPI devices that could handle an SPI clock of close to 200 MHz.

:?:

The ILI9341 has a parallel data interface as well as SPI; you can use one or the other. I have successfully connected one of the prebuilt modules from AdaFruit to the 6502's data bus, the only extra component I needed was a '245 to actually put it's data lines into a tristate when my 6502 wasn't directly reading/writing to the device.

I haven't done any speed tests on it yet, but I was able to get it to respond to initialization commands and light up a pixel, w/o any fuss. I'm currently running my 6502 at about 6.3Mhz, the timing diagrams on the data sheet (if I'm reading them correctly, which I may not be) suggest it's happy to go up to about 12Mhz when being used in it's "8080 I/II" parallel mode.

The module I'm using

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:31 pm 

Yuri wrote:
The ILI9341 has a parallel data interface as well as SPI; you can use one or the other.

that's exactly what i said, but Ardis specifically asked about the SPI interface after i mentioned that the ILI9341 had both because they wanted to avoid using a very wide interface (even though it also has an 8-bit wide interface which is a lot easier to deal with than the 18-bit one they mentioned and is highly recommended over SPI for HW/SW overhead reasons)

Yuri wrote:

ey, i also linked to the same board from adafruit (or rather a similar variant)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:32 pm 

Proxy wrote:
Yuri wrote:
The ILI9341 has a parallel data interface as well as SPI; you can use one or the other.

that's exactly what i said, but Ardis specifically asked about the SPI interface after i mentioned that the ILI9341 had both because they wanted to avoid using a very wide interface (even though it also has an 8-bit wide interface which is a lot easier to deal with than the 18-bit one they mentioned and is highly recommended over SPI for HW/SW overhead reasons)

Yuri wrote:

ey, i also linked to the same board from adafruit (or rather a similar variant)

Odd, not sure why you would want to constrain yourself to SPI if the parallel mode is easier to use and faster.