6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:05 am 

allisonlastname wrote:
the 62256s I have don't play nicely with the 6502 for whatever reason
Was there any followup on this matter? In this post you mentioned fixing an error in a RAM test jig you created. And the 62256s then tested successfully in the jig, but still failed when installed in your project. One possible explanation is, the inputs on the test jig recognize TTL voltage levels, whereas the inputs on a modern WDC CPU do not. It's plausible that the 43256 you got from your dad significantly *exceeds* the spec (as many TTL-rated chips do), but the 62256s... not so much. :|

allisonlastname wrote:
exploded
I assume you're just being colorful with your speech... although chips truly can and do sometimes explode! Check out the DC-to-DC buck controller IC in the Keyence industrial vision controller I repaired earlier this year! A surge on the incoming 24VDC left a crater in the IC and also vaporized one of the tiny PCB traces underneath. :shock:

-- Jeff
Attachment:
1 Keyence XG-7501P .jpg
1 Keyence XG-7501P .jpg [ 112.02 KiB | Viewed 263630 times ]

Attachment:
4 IMG_723CrvShpLores.jpg
4 IMG_723CrvShpLores.jpg [ 233.96 KiB | Viewed 263630 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:19 am 

allisonlastname wrote:
And now the RAM has somehow exploded.

That's right up there with the quote 'At this point, the princess does not die'... :mrgreen:

As Jeff suggests, chips generally explode only if they exceed their substrate's current rating, usually because of an over-voltage situation. Are you still working on breadboards? If so, that's a likely explanation.

Neil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:20 pm 

I really like these "skinny" SRAMs:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Re ... cyCode=USD

They're being discontinued by the manufacturer, but Mouser still has quite a few in stock.

For my first project I used one of these:

https://www.jameco.com/z/HM62256LP-70-H ... 82472.html

I think I got it because it's the same part Ben Eater used, and I didn't know what I was doing yet. This seems to be yet another case where the datasheet specifies TTL voltage levels, but where the actual parts are over-specced sufficiently that they don't have any trouble working with the 65C02.

Like others, early on I encountered problems using a "skinny" Alliance 15ns SRAM. Switching it out with one of the IDT/Renesas ones did away with the glitches.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:56 pm 

I think I might be haunted.

First off, I have no idea how the 43256 (figuratively) exploded. I was running the board on 5v from a USB-UART adaptor, so there shouldn't have been anything more than 5v on the board. It could have been ESD, but I didn't go anywhere near it. Who knows.

Secondly, I put a 62256 in the board to have another crack at debugging it - and this time it works. I don't know why, or how, but this time it works. Is this what they felt like designing the BBC micro?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:04 pm 

allisonlastname wrote:
I think I might be haunted.

First off, I have no idea how the 43256 (figuratively) exploded. I was running the board on 5v from a USB-UART adaptor, so there shouldn't have been anything more than 5v on the board. It could have been ESD, but I didn't go anywhere near it. Who knows.

Secondly, I put a 62256 in the board to have another crack at debugging it - and this time it works. I don't know why, or how, but this time it works. Is this what they felt like designing the BBC micro?

Who knows - do watch the TV drama based on real facts-ish on youtube though :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXBxV6-zamM

but they already had at least 2 systems under their belts - the Acorn system 1 and the Atom.

And to let you know you're not the only one with frustrations - my current project is on breadboards and I've so-far had 2 issues that caused me much head scratching - both wires in the wrong places... but it's now running very well at 2Mhz, so don't give up!

Cheers,

-Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:06 pm 

Except now it doesn't. It worked for a few minutes but now all reads are returning nonsense. I didn't touch the board at all in that time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:57 pm 

I've seen that symptom (or similar) where a control input is floating: sometimes the level is such that it operates, at other times, charge accumulates/dissipates at the gate until the voltage reaches a value that stops things.

This is a default CMOS logic fault; I'd be looking for unconnected pins, possibly in the control logic or enable lines. Or indeed the power; while memory chips usually need reasonable amounts of power, most CMOS chips will self-power through an input held high while the chip is unpowered.

Neil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:16 pm 

I've tested all the control pins with a multimeter, and they're definitely connected to the stuff that produces those control signals. Unless there's something disconnected internally, it's not that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:20 pm 

Sometimes if there's an unreliable connection, putting your probe onto the thing makes it work. That does make it more difficult to locate the problem.

I think the thing to do is to keep firmly in mind that there is a problem - ruling everyone out logically can't solve it. Check all your assumptions.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:47 pm 

drogon wrote:
And to let you know you're not the only one with frustrations - my current project is on breadboards and I've so-far had 2 issues that caused me much head scratching - both wires in the wrong places...

I can relate. I even angrily destroyed one of my older Deck65 prototypes which I was SURE had all issues fixed, but still refused to work as intended... I promised myself to never come back to this hobby again...
Attachment:
IMG_20231206_004646_175.jpg
IMG_20231206_004646_175.jpg [ 239.72 KiB | Viewed 262543 times ]

And yet here I am, after 5 more revisions and some crunching, it finally worked. Those dreaded open-drain lines... Good thing that JLCPCB sends 5 copies of the PCB. :D

deck65 - 6502 slab with screen and keyboard | ПК-88 - SBC based on KM1810VM88 (Ukrainian i8088 clone) | leo80 - simple Z80 SBC
nice65 - 6502 assembly linter | My parts, footprints & 3D models for KiCad/FreeCAD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:55 am 

Tsk. We all should know to remove the expensive components from the board before breaking it angrily.

Neil :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:33 am 

Just a reminder..

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/1a552bd8-985a-4bfd-8d0f-089b7595be54

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8