6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:06 pm 

MiraLagatta wrote:
I grabbed a screenshot of the PDF, threw it into Paint.Net (Photoshop for poor people), added the nanosecond timings directly to the diagram, and added the definitions of the abbreviations along the side and footnotes on the bottom. Everything is on one page and I don't have to flip back and forth between two or three pages any more.
The label of "30ns" for Access Time (tACC) is a little misleading given that the diagram is labelled with timings for 1MHz operation. tACC is the minimum time the CPU allows between providing a valid address (and R/W etc.) and needing valid data available from the external device. Another way of thinking of tACC is the maximum time available for address decoding and memory (or other device such as a VIA) to respond with data. As such, tACC is both voltage AND frequency dependent.

tADS is derived from Cycle Time (tCYC), Address Setup Time (tADS) and Read Data Setup Time (tDSR): tACC = tCYC - tADS - tDSR. So at 14MHz and 5V, tADS = 70ns - 30ns - 10ns = 30ns (which matches the value on the datasheet.) However, at 1MHz and 5V, tCYC is 1000ns so tACC = 1000ns - 30ns - 10ns = 960ns. There are up to 960ns available for address decoding and data access.

I think "960ns" would be a more appropriate label for tACC on this diagram which is labelled with a 1000ns cycle time. Great idea for the consolidated diagram, by the way.