6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: which device programmer?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:17 pm 

I've been looking at device programmers. For sure, I want to program 27xx series EPROMs. Plus, some of the EEPROMs that are pin-compatible to that series, like the WinbondW27Cxx chips. They're faster, and I can skip the UV erase cycle. Probably end up using PIC chips, GALs, and some CPLD devices, too.

There are the Stager VS4000 and VS4800 models. Those look nice. I'm having a hard tin finding documentation on either, though I can find the tools for sale on eBay. I'm starting to think that they're not supported at all, since none of the links I find to support (downloads, firmware, device lists, ...) actually work.

There's also the TL866II, which does most of what I want and is affordable -- less than $100 including software and a pile of adapters.

XGecu T56 looks newer and supports more devices ... but this manufacturer lists every device variant and packaging type as a different device. Which is kind of fair, I suppose, but also kind of inflationary. Seems like it's about double the price of the TL866II.

Any others? Is the TL866II adequate, or is the T56 worth it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:48 am 

I have a TL866II and it's really useful, it can program most newer EEPROMs/ERPOMs/Microcontrollers but it has issues with older EPROMS that require 21/25v. It's worth having though just for the fact that it can also test most 74 logic and ram chips. For older 25v EPROMS like 2716/32/64 and 2516/32/64, Motorola 68764, etc I have an old Bytewriter for my Atari 800, it's a little slow but it gets the job done. I also have a Willem parallel programmer but it doesn't support many variants and I rarely use it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:36 pm 

Thanks! I guess I'll go with the TL866II, then ... I can't justify double the price for the newer model.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:55 pm 

mikeblas wrote:
Thanks! I guess I'll go with the TL866II, then ... I can't justify double the price for the newer model.

Be aware that the older ones might be cloned from the original. I fell foul of that and got one that worked - mostly. I tried to upgrade it and they bricked it. I ended up getting a Genius G540 so I could program Lattice GALs.

Get the newer one if at all possible and get it from a hopefully reputable source.

-Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:42 pm 

drogon wrote:
Be aware that the older ones might be cloned from the original. I fell foul of that and got one that worked - mostly. I tried to upgrade it and they bricked it. I ended up getting a Genius G540 so I could program Lattice GALs.
I had my TL866 (not the II) bricked as well. There is a method to unbrick it if you'd like to get it working again (I did it all on Linux), and the newer version of the software finally supports the Lattice 22V10 (which the older version of the software listed as supported, but would always give an error when verifying). I run the software under Wine.

I agree that the TL866II looks like the best option for the price, at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:48 am 

A used Galep3 would cost $14..$200 at ebay.
But it can't program 3.3V chips, it needs LPT (USB to LPT converters won't work), and it's an interesting question if the software would run on Windows10.

//A a new Galep5 with USB currently is 643€ at Farnell.