6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:36 am 

It would really just be to reduce the board size, or reduce the number of layers needed to route it on a tight board.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:49 am 

Shawn Odekirk wrote:
When I was first adding the 28L92 I experienced occasional corrupted characters in the serial output...Originally my reset circuit looked like this...After switching to the new reset circuit I have not had any problems with the 28L92.

My theory about where the noise on the RESET line was coming from may be totally incorrect. It may not have been induced from the PHI2O output, it may not have been propagating through the 22V10, and it may not have been a problem at all on a wire-wrap board or PCB. However, the change has eliminated my problems with the 28L92.

The GAL circuit should have worked fine, since the GAL's output actively drives in both directions. What I don't see in your reset circuit is a pullup resistor on the DS1813's output. The DS1813's internal pullup is too weak and relying solely on it will make the circuit noise-prone, something I determined via testing on the original POC V1.0 unit I built in 2009. You have the same potential problem wired into your new reset circuit. I suggest you add a 3.3K pullup to the DS1813's output.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:20 pm 

There were a lot of great suggestions for improvements, and I will definitely keep them in mind for a future revision of my PCB, but I decided to go ahead and order some PCBs based on my original design and layout.
My eyesight isn't what it used to be, and I haven't admitted to myself yet that I need bifocals or reading glasses, so soldering wasn't as fun as I remember it being. But, besides occasionally needing to use a magnifying glass, I didn't run into any issues.
After soldering, I double-checked that there wasn't a dead-short between +5v and ground, then connected power and double-checked +5V at the various sockets.
After installing the components in the sockets and powering up, everything appears to be working correctly. I have not tested all of the I/O but I have not encountered any problems so far.
Thanks again to everyone who suggested improvements!

Shawn

Attachments:
File comment: SO6502_V1
SO6502_V1.JPG
SO6502_V1.JPG [ 882.72 KiB | Viewed 747 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:25 pm 

Here it is running Floobydust's C02 BIOS, monitor and EhBASIC.
My next steps will be to write my own BIOS and monitor. After that, I plan to get Forth running.

Shawn

Attachments:
File comment: C02 Monitor
C02Monitor.jpg
C02Monitor.jpg [ 21.53 KiB | Viewed 747 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:27 pm 

Excellent! Well done.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:13 am 

Oops! I went out of order.
Here it is running Tali Forth 2.

Shawn

Attachments:
File comment: Tali Forth 2
TaliForth.jpg
TaliForth.jpg [ 22.11 KiB | Viewed 721 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:41 pm 

Good job. The first revision of my PC board is nearly ready to go. Just need to decide on a UART. I have written some bit banging code for the 65C22, but for sanity I think I'll either put a 65C61 or the NXP UART on the board. How did you find the NXP to program?

How did you do your decoupling capacitors on in EDA? I am using Kicad and its a bit of a mess adding capacitors directly to the power rails on each IC.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:42 pm 

deanflyer wrote:
How did you find the NXP to program?
Not bad. It is a little more complicated to initialize than a 6551, but it is much more capable and doesn't have the 65C51 TX bug. After initialization, transmitting and receiving data is very straightforward.
BDD has written some documents that explain really well how to use the NXP UARTS. You can find them in this thread - UARTs: REPLACING THE 65C51

deanflyer wrote:
How did you do your decoupling capacitors on in EDA? I am using Kicad and its a bit of a mess adding capacitors directly to the power rails on each IC.
I use KiCad too. It seems to be common to put all of the bypass capacitors together on your schematic like this. Then you can position them close to the ICs on your PCB layout.
Attachment:
File comment: Bypass Capacitors
Bypass.jpg
Bypass.jpg [ 55.24 KiB | Viewed 685 times ]

Shawn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:44 pm 

deanflyer wrote:
Good job. The first revision of my PC board is nearly ready to go. Just need to decide on a UART. I have written some bit banging code for the 65C22, but for sanity I think I'll either put a 65C61 or the NXP UART on the board. How did you find the NXP to program?

I've written a BIOS for the 65C51 and the NXP SCC2691. While the NXP is a bit more involved, I would strongly recommend using the NXP UART. You also have the 16-bit timer which can be used as a Jiffy-Clock and will be consistent regardless of the processor clock speed. With the 28L92 DUART, you have the second serial port should you need it and some I/O lines as well.

You can take a look at my BIOS code (github page) to get an idea on the BIOS for both the 65C51 and the NXP. Note: Don't forget that the current W65C51 has the xmit bug, forcing you to write code around it. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:28 pm 

Indeed, one way to look at it is that the 28L92 replaces two 6551s and half a 6522, all in one convenient package.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:13 pm 

That is a good idea regarding the capacitors. I'll give it a try.

I have some PLC44 DIP adapters so I'll order the NXP UART and give it a go.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:25 pm 

I just spent 45 minutes watching drogon make hot cross buns and soda bread. Now I'm hungry!
It's nice to be able to put a face with a user and see them doing something else they enjoy.

Shawn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:07 pm 

Shawn Odekirk wrote:
I just spent 45 minutes watching drogon make hot cross buns and soda bread. Now I'm hungry!
It's nice to be able to put a face with a user and see them doing something else they enjoy.

Shawn

Ah. The bakery... I had to close that down start of last lockdown in the UK, so not done much backing since... It was a hobby that got out of hand!

Here's something else I enjoy ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi4m9eRZq9g

Cheers,

-Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:46 pm 

drogon wrote:
Shawn Odekirk wrote:

Shawn

Ah. The bakery... I had to close that down start of last lockdown in the UK, so not done much backing since... It was a hobby that got out of hand!

Here's something else I enjoy ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi4m9eRZq9g

Cheers,

-Gordon

I too watched buns and bread being baked, and now feel compelled to go to the kitchen and whip up something to eat. Once I've finished lunch I think I'll go out and
play with my train.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:24 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Once I've finished lunch I think I'll go out and play with my train.

Me watching video
"There's a tunnel!"
"And a bridge!"
"And another bridge!"

So cool! Thanks for sharing! After reading the description I watched again to see the ABS in action.
I also watched your POC V1 Demonstration video. I would have watched it sooner had I known about your YouTube channel.
I had planned to work on my BIOS and monitor, but now I've spent an hour watching 1.6" scale train videos on YouTube! No regrets!

Shawn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next