6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sharing my 6502 build
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:06 pm 

hi,
Just want to share my 6502 build with this forum. Many posts on this forum and other web sites has really helped me to put my SBC together. You can follow the build on my github repo https://github.com/maded2/6502. My next phase of the build is to work on graphic subsystem using the V9958 chip. Any comments and suggestion welcome.

eddie

Attachment:
proto_1_2_board.png
proto_1_2_board.png [ 7.18 MiB | Viewed 1962 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:50 pm 

Nice project Eddie.

Also, welcome to 6502.org

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:57 pm 

maded2 wrote:
Just want to share my 6502 build with this forum.

Looks good. Is that ZIF socket for the ROM soldered into the board?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:25 pm 

Hello World! And welcome, Eddie. Nice photo log on github.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:26 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
maded2 wrote:

Correct, I made room on the PCB to allow ZIP socket for the rom.

eddie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:49 am 

maded2 wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
maded2 wrote:

Good idea. When I was developing the firmware for my POC V1.1 unit I wore out the ROM socket and had to replace it. Silly me, I didn't leave enough room in the PCB layout for a ZIF socket. :roll:

In a future build, you may be interested in a more compact type of ZIF socket. I will be using this one in future builds. It takes up little more room than a regular (non-ZIF) socket with the same number of pins. Data sheet attached.

Attachment:
File comment: Compact ZIF DIP Socket
socket_dip28_zif_aries526.pdf [536.37 KiB]
Downloaded 106 times

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:11 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
maded2 wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
maded2 wrote:

Good idea. When I was developing the firmware for my POC V1.1 unit I wore out the ROM socket and had to replace it. Silly me, I didn't leave enough room in the PCB layout for a ZIF socket. :roll:

In a future build, you may be interested in a more compact type of ZIF socket. I will be using this one in future builds. It takes up little more room than a regular (non-ZIF) socket with the same number of pins. Data sheet attached.

Attachment:
socket_dip28_zif_aries526.pdf

thanks for the info. The fat zip socket is very cheap compared to this slim one. Custom PCB only cost 9USD for 5, so it's easy to change the PCB design.

eddie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:00 pm 

In my SBC, I left enough room for the socket but not quite enough. When inserted, the bar wouldn't fully close because of caps, etc. Real bonehead move on my part.

So I just stacked the ZIF on top of a normal socket to give it lift.

On my next PCB, I don't think I will use ZIF at all. I think I will try an Arduino and program my flash memory directly. I like the idea of just uploading a binary file and not have to swap chips around.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:00 am 

cbmeeks wrote:
In my SBC, I left enough room for the socket but not quite enough. When inserted, the bar wouldn't fully close because of caps, etc. Real bonehead move on my part.

On my next PCB, I don't think I will use ZIF at all. I think I will try an Arduino and program my flash memory directly. I like the idea of just uploading a binary file and not have to swap chips around.

I moved the rom cap to the side of the socket after v1.1 of the pcb to allow for the zip socket enough room to do its thing.

btw, Kevin Maier's Monitor can do in-circuit eeprom programming (have not try it myself), but here's the link. https://github.com/floobydust/65C02-SBC1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:20 am 

maded2 wrote:
cbmeeks wrote:

I moved the rom cap to the side of the socket after v1.1 of the pcb to allow for the zip socket enough room to do its thing.

btw, Kevin Maier's Monitor can do in-circuit eeprom programming (have not try it myself), but here's the link. https://github.com/floobydust/65C02-SBC1

On my last C02 Pocket SBC board, I hid the bypass caps under the chips themselves. As I socket everything, I've been using Mill-Max open frame sockets, which allow for the bypass cap to be hidden underneath. I also do this for the EEPROM and simply use one or two additional stacked sockets to elevate a ZIF socket. This allows me frequent EEPROM removal during development and then I have 3 other boards (sans ZIF socket) that tend to run for extended periods (upwards of a year) for long term testing.

PS - thanks for the mention of my C02 Monitor. The 2.0x version is what's used on the C02 Pocket SBC, as it uses a Philips/NXP UART, instead of a 65(c)51. Your SBC is a nice layout... you might also want to try my CMOS version of Enhanced Basic at some point... it's a bit smaller and runs just a tad bit quicker. It also can run along with the C02 Monitor, as the Page zero locations have been changed so there's no conflicts.