6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:32 am 

Good night, everybody! I'm Manuel from Santiago of Chile and I'm glad to subscribe myself to the forum because here in Chile there aren't much people interested in computers, old computing and CPU's and digital logic and so on... I hope I can contribute some bits from my projects to the forum and the world of 6502!

I knew about 6502 working with Atari computers (XE System) since 1991 (when I was 10 years old aprox.) Now, I'm 33 and I'm working on personal projects about microcomputers (for fun, as a hobby, for learning), that late because it's difficult to find I.C. here in my country.

Well, I like to publish some of my projects, some on Z80 CPU, some on 65C02. These are the projects:

a) a Z80 computer programmed through switches.
b) a Z80 computer with 128 kiB of RAM, 512 kiB of Flash RAM, I/O ports and a 240x128 pixels monochrome LCD.
c) a W65C02S serial-port computer, with 32 kiB of RAM, 8 kiB of EEPROM, a XC9536XL CPLD and a 82C52A UART (from Intersil).
d) a serial terminal program for Windows (32-bits) that can display text and graphics with 256 colors, loadable bitmap fonts, text with background and foreground colors and use of control codes (in the spirit of DEC VT-100 terminals, but with no compatibility with them - at least for now).
e) an assembler for 65C02 (in beta-stage yet).
f) a CONIO-based text simulator por W65C02, no finished yet (beta-stage), for Windows Console mode.

Well, I planned to build a W65C816S + Gameduino computer in summer holidays for programming video-games. It could be interesting to learn some of W65C816S and to connect a NES or SNES control for fun.

Well, if someone is interested in photos, code, comments o something else, I hope you'll write me about it. I will publish photos soon because I'm working all day-long now and I have no much time to upload everything at once. I like to share this projects with you, because I think nobody here (in my city o country) will be really interested. I hope you'll think these can contribute to this forum.

Thanks for doing this a superb space for sharing and communicating ideas. I'll be back soon.

Manuel._

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:41 am 

Welcome, Manuel -- it's nice to have you with us!
Quote:
Well, if someone is interested in photos, code, comments o something else, I hope you'll write me about it.
Quote:
I'm working all day-long now and I have no much time to upload everything at once.
Alright, since we have to pick and choose then to begin with I would enjoy seeing the W65C02S serial-port computer, please. :) Or anything 6502-related, really.

In regard to photos notice that on this forum you can attach images and other files with your post -- there's no need to use a third-party photo-sharing site.

cheers,
Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:06 pm 

Good afternoon everybody. Well, thanks for your reply. I'll show you some of the projects...

a) Another W65C02S serial-comm board... (Utopia 3 - internal name, hehe...):

Top view:
Attachment:
File comment: W65C02S Utopia 3 board (top view)
utopia3-top.jpg
utopia3-top.jpg [ 127.7 KiB | Viewed 1785 times ]

Bottom view:
Attachment:
File comment: Utopia 3 board (bottom view)
utopia3-bottom.jpg
utopia3-bottom.jpg [ 150.03 KiB | Viewed 1785 times ]

b) Views of the ROM monitor:

Initial screen:
Attachment:
UtopiaTerm01.png
UtopiaTerm01.png [ 5.83 KiB | Viewed 1785 times ]

Rebooting the computer...
Attachment:
UtopiaTerm02.png
UtopiaTerm02.png [ 2.93 KiB | Viewed 1785 times ]

Entering some commands:
Attachment:
UtopiaTerm03.png
UtopiaTerm03.png [ 12.66 KiB | Viewed 1785 times ]

(some commands are r: read memory; w: write memory; g: jump to address, etc.).

The serial comm is configured at 600 bps to feel how an old terminal/teletype feels...

(continue on next post...)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:32 pm 

Well, let's continue with the serial terminal. I'm writing this serial terminal software because I think it will be cool if a terminal emulator could show text/colors/graphics like an Atari/Commodore/Acorn/Spectrum computer. These are its (actual) characteristics:

a) 3 modes of text: mode 0 (text with 1 foreground and 1 background colors); mode 1 (text with foreground/background colors and black background for zones where there is no text); and mode 2 (text with foreground/background colors attributes for each character at screen).
b) 4 modes of bitmap graphics: modes 3 to 6 with 16/256 colors/pixel.
c) Control characters (for configuration of the terminal via serial port).
d) Definition of bitmap fonts of 8x8 pixels.
e) Development with CodeBlocks (MinGW) + Allegro 4 (graphics library) for Windows (I think it could be easyly ported to GNU/Linux).

Photos:
50 column mode:
Attachment:
UtopiaTerm04.png
UtopiaTerm04.png [ 7.75 KiB | Viewed 1778 times ]

Text color attributes:
Attachment:
UtopiaTerm05.png
UtopiaTerm05.png [ 4.97 KiB | Viewed 1778 times ]

Graphic mode pixels example:
Attachment:
UtopiaTerm06.png
UtopiaTerm06.png [ 3.91 KiB | Viewed 1778 times ]

And the font editor (made in BBC Basic for Windows):

Main window:
Attachment:
Utopia FontEditor.png
Utopia FontEditor.png [ 9.55 KiB | Viewed 1778 times ]

ASCII font used in terminal program:
Attachment:
Utopia FontEditor - characters.png
Utopia FontEditor - characters.png [ 7 KiB | Viewed 1778 times ]

Well, that's all for now. I hope you like all of this.

Manuel._