6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:51 am 

FYI no KiCAD necessary. Or Eagle or other PCB or CAD drafting program.

Just Microsoft Paintbrush.

P.S. Edit. Although the corner squares were hard to get diagonal at a 45 degree.

I had to export small bitmaps. Put in my phone which has an editor with that function and then re-import.

Once or twice it caused a problem with some kind of transparent overlay, and one of the import or export steps drew over a bunch of pixels.

I went back in and dot by dot clicked them back to normal.

It was tedious. I just put some crap TV on in the background to make the task seem less lonely / futile.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:05 am 

"For the advanced game, the 6502 may provide a Turing complete virtual machine. I strongly recommend against a full 6502 implementation due to the relative regularity of opcodes. A skewed subset or fictitious processor architecture may provide superior play."

Explain?

If you will?

"... Relative regularity"?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:22 am 

OK. Here is a photo of the 4 completed boards.

Attachments:
20211217_171634.jpg
20211217_171634.jpg [ 5.51 MiB | Viewed 5072 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:42 pm 

I'd like to thank TROLOZY and randallmeyer2000 for being deeply inspiring. TROLOZY inspired me to work on an input peripheral protocol. randallmeyer2000 inspired me to consider tiling pieces of a chessboard matrix where every tile is 100mm*100mm or less because it obtains a cheaper rate for manufacturing. The triangular packing of keyboards led me to designing scalable keyboard tile which is smaller than 100mm*100mm threshold. This design has 18mm keyswitch spacing and a hexagonal perimeter. In particular, 5.5 18mm hexagons is exactly 99mm. After doodling a Ludo board, considering keyboards and chess computers, and doing the calculations for hexagonal tiling, the next obvious step was to make patches of hexagons for hexgrid table top role playing. Indeed, I've found that it is possible to make 12, 13 and 14 hexagon patches which fit together quite snuggly while never exceeding the 100mm*100mm threshold. Indeed, I'm so confident about about this system, I ordered 15 designs; mostly in multiples of 100.

This means I'm imminently expecting about 30kg of PCBs to be delivered to the Sheep Pen. Actually, I'm load balancing my orders across PCBWay and JLCPCB. In turn, JLCPCB is load balancing my order across Factory 1, Factory 3 and Factory 4. It is an enviable problem to have but I think that I've outgrown the hobbiest PCB manufacturing companies. After ordering, I ran the calculations and I think that I consumed 0.6% of PCBWay and JLCPCB's daily manufacturing capacity. It reminds of the time when I purchased 0.01% of the daily neodymium manufacturing capacity. That was fantastic because it was two weeks before China embargoed neodymium export to the US. Needless to say, sales were brisk and profits were good. Actually, I still have about 40% of those magnets. I should add magnets to the list of giveaways for newbie hobbyists.

This may be wandering a little off topic but I assume that programmers are more likely than average to play one or more table top role playing systems. Indeed, character statistics aren't hugely different to register state. In particular, the six stats of AD&D tally somewhat with a 6502's accumulator, two index registers, stack pointer, flags and program counter. This observation is most pertinent to anyone making an educational resource to teach 6502 programming.

If anyone want to test a fiberglass hexgrid game system then send your postal address and I'll send out a complimentary set of hexgrids. Also indicate if you'd like some of the functional prototype PCBs in addition to the decorative ones (which are, amusingly, randomly sampled for electrical testing at the factory). Apologies for the awful photography but please find enclosed an example of some prototypes. Top of image: MallWorld theme tiles. Never heard of MallWorld? That's an amazing "rabbit hole". Left of image: standard sword 'n' sorcery theme. Right of image: Artic theme. (It took me 4.5 hours to make a decent set of snowflake designs.) Bottom of image: Floor is lava.

Likewise, if randallmeyer2000 wants a PCB version of 6502-opoly, I could try designing it, although manufacture is likely to be uneconomic.

To answer randallmeyer2000's question about the quantity of opcodes: 12 opcodes form the majority of 6502 programs. However, if one player has a "Monopoly" on LDA or INX, it would greatly reduce the value of all addressing modes which use RegX. A more workable system might be similar to the poker variants in which cards are common to all hands. Alternatively, opcodes can be greatly reduced by modeling a stack architecture. This arrangement is also more tolerant to omissions. If you're brave enough to delve into the Forth Forum, you'll find that omissions in any dialect of Forth are trivially overcome. This type of property would lead to a mentally stimulating game which is varied and interesting. It is also possible to implement it with a 6502 on the game board.

Attachments:
hex-grid-role-play.jpg
hex-grid-role-play.jpg [ 46.62 KiB | Viewed 5039 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:26 am 

Sheep64, I will have to read your post twice to understand how I helped. But glad I could help.

As for monopolizing cards, or Op-Codes, I had not envisioned it working that way. Data is fairly free, in the universe, (I force it through my vocal chords on a regular basis), and I figure if somebody didn't have the Op-Code Card that they wanted or needed, they could take the op-codes they have and add or subtract another card or a reigister or a bit or bits of data, and push it or pop it, and I want each player to have their own "Stack" to play with.

So. No monopolizing.

But for Technopoloy "Game II.", the "monopolizing " will be more like evolution. The 22 physical properties in regular monopoly will instead be 22 "IP Timelines"; each with 16, (1111 Hex) IPs.

As you go around the board 5 or 10 times, you advance from stone age, to iron and bronze age; then into antiquity, and then late antiquity. The computers and calculators get better with each age.

And when a new age opens up and someone lands on your timeline? Suddenly. They don't payt rent. They BUY THE NEW IP from the bank. And you relinquish it. (If they cant afford to buy from bank, they still pay rent; but maybe? I dunno? Maybe it goes up for auction first? they decline to buy; it auctions, then they pay rent to the new owner? That sounds right)

I have all 352 technologies listed and organized, chronologically, for each timeline. The IP cards are all deisgned.

And now, all printed up (with a few mistakes and uncertainties, still). 12 full copies of the game. But only one constructed. Laminated. and hole punched. And each of 16 IPs placed on one of 22 "Timeline Keyrings" : otherwise the cards would get unwieldy and lost.

I am making my second set right now. laminating. holepunching. keyrings. then beta test.

The first one exists somewhere at UBC, Vancouver. I gave it away as a friend/resume gift. Networking.

Technopoly I = Plays just like regular monopoly

Technopoly II = Techvolution (Teaches computer history)

Technopoly III = ??? I dunno? played concurrent with Technopoly I or II? OR ? Wait until after game I or II is played, and then see what you can program in the center with the cards you won?

I VERY MUCH need to buy a few Mensch boards SBCs.... to test out. While plugging the cards into the center might be fun, a Mensch board and LCD might be more interesting. / convenient? Maybe LED's at the registers? Maybe I could make my new "Ben Eater / Idiot-proof 6502 breadboard" act as the game programmer, center-board?

If I can find the money in the next month or two, I am going to send a board and pieces to Woz and Mensch ... or rather, Woz's assistant, and Mensch's assistant.

And I should post the pieces here, too. But they are high res BMP, at the moment. Pretty big files. I will have to familiarize myself with your data policies / standard acceptable picture files again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:15 pm 

Made a long update. Internet vagaries swallowed it.
Hawaii now.
Long story.
Github.
https://github.com/LadnarofLadner/I.Tec ... 6502-opoly
Many setbacks since last post. Saved what code and notes I could and RAN.

Hawai'i now ... Could be worse ?

I have python code that runs. Puts up a board. Rolls dice.

Haven't put it on the github yet.

The github is in disarray. I don't know what im doing there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:12 am 

Uploaded some python code to github today. the final file is closest to being something runable / playable.

Im working on it. stay tuned.