6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: First steps...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:13 am 

cr1901 wrote:
Part I
I'm reading the primer, and I realize: there is no way I can get around wired-OR output. I'm willing to suffer the consequences of this, but is there any way to reliably use Wired-OR in a 10MHz+ system? I have an ACIA IRQ, PIA IRQAB/IRQBB, and VIA IRQ (series Schottky diode) in my design.

POC V1.1 runs at 12.5 MHz and has a wired-OR IRQ circuit. Adding to the fun, one of the interrupt sources is the SCSI host adapter, which plugs into the main board and hence extends the buses off-board. Wired-OR can be reliable if you are careful to keep connections as short and direct as possible. Also, be sure to use the lowest pullup resistor value that is consistent with the sinking ability of the weakest device on the IRQ line. In my circuit, I'm using a 3.3k pullup value. The resistor is actually one of a number in a SIP package, rather than a discrete leaded part.

Quote:
Using a Schmitt Trigger comes to mind as a potential workaround; it will stay low for a small portion of the IRQ line floating back up, but enough time to detect that the IRQ line IS in fact floating back up to "No interrupt" levels.

That seems to be needlessly complicated. I think you can minimize the likelihood of a spurious interrupt by doing a careful job on the physical layout of your machine.

Also, as Garth mentioned, your interrupt service routine should clear interrupt sources as early as possible to give the parasitic capacitance in the interrupt circuit ample time to recharge. In POC's ISR, interrupt sources are read and cleared immediately after the MPU state has been pushed—interrupt state for each I/O device is also pushed, since indexed stack accesses are convenient and efficient with the '816. Once that is done, the ISR proceeds to act on each interrupt status value. In other words, state is saved and interrupts cleared for all devices before analysis and processing takes place. This sequence may make the ISR a little more complicated, but it does result in IRQB being released almost immediately after the MPU has taken the interrupt, giving the circuit plenty of recovery time.

Lastly, when you do write your ISR be sure to account for the possibility of a spurious interrupt. Basically, all that is needed is a place for the MPU to go if polling all possible interrupting devices fails to turn up the source of an IRQ. I cover much of this stuff in my 65C816 interrupt article.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:21 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Quote:
quad 2-input OR gate or similar would work, would it?

It needs to be AND, so that if any one of them is low, the output is low. With OR, if any input is high (ie, false), the output will be high also.

Also, the gate should be 74AC logic if you intended to run at high Ø2 rates. In many cases, 74HC logic is not faster than 74LS.

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:40 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
In POC's ISR, interrupt sources are read and cleared immediately after the MPU state has been pushed—interrupt state for each I/O device is also pushed, since indexed stack accesses are convenient and efficient with the '816. Once that is done, the ISR proceeds to act on each interrupt status value.
Basically, for each I/O device:
  1. Read the register that has the interrupt data for the I/O device.
  2. Push it.
  3. Clear the relevant interrupt bit/send it back to the device (if necessary).
  4. Read and push all registers for the current device.

Do you do a.-c. or a.-d.?

The fact that POC 1.1 works at 12.5MHz with wired-OR is reassuring. I do miss the concept of interrupt priorities (though I could always code the ISR in such a manner- rotating priority sounds appealing :P) where only one device is serviced per interrupt, but this is me coming from 8259 land. Also, using your scheme, isn't it possible for a second device to signal an interrupt between the time the interrupt state of the device is read and the "Interrupt needs servicing" bit of the I/O device is cleared, thereby missing an interrupt, unless using some sort of atomic instruction? EDIT: Apparently, this can't be done according to your '816 Interrupt primer.

EDIT 2: "Operating the 65C816 at Ø2 rates over 8 MHz often necessitates the use of hardware wait-states when I/O devices must be accessed." Is this true with 14MHz parts?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:48 am 

cr1901 wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
In POC's ISR, interrupt sources are read and cleared immediately after the MPU state has been pushed—interrupt state for each I/O device is also pushed, since indexed stack accesses are convenient and efficient with the '816. Once that is done, the ISR proceeds to act on each interrupt status value.
Basically, for each I/O device:
  1. Read the register that has the interrupt data for the I/O device.
  2. Push it.
  3. Clear the relevant interrupt bit/send it back to the device (if necessary).
  4. Read and push all registers for the current device.

Do you do a.-c. or a.-d.?

Here's a synopsis of how I do it:

1. Push the MPU state. As POC V1.1 is a general purpose computer, every 65C816 register is pushed, including DB and DP.

2. Read the interrupt status register (ISR) for each device that can interrupt and push it. In POC V1.1, that would be the SCSI controller, real-time clock, and DUART. In the SCSI controller and RTC, reading the ISR also clears the device's interrupt output. It's a little more involved with the DUART, which continues to interrupt as long as RxD and TxD FIFOs are full (RxD) or empty (TxD).

3. Examine each ISR value that was pushed to see if the corresponding device interrupted. If it did, its interrupt code is executed, the code being arranged in blocks. Otherwise, skip that device and try the next one.

4. Clean up the stack. With the '816, this can be done by simply loading the stack pointer (SP) into .C (the 16 bit accumulator), adding the number of bytes that were pushed during step B and then copying .C back to SP.

5. Restore the MPU state and RTI.

The source code and a ROM listing are posted on my POC website if you are interested (scroll down to line 3373 in the ROM listing). It's not the most up to date version, but close enough for discussion.

Quote:
The fact that POC 1.1 works at 12.5MHz with wired-OR is reassuring. I do miss the concept of interrupt priorities (though I could always code the ISR in such a manner- rotating priority sounds appealing :P) where only one device is serviced per interrupt, but this is me coming from 8259 land.

Better to service all possible interrupt sources en masse. The 65C816 will consume eight clock cycles responding to an IRQ and another eight clock cycles executing RTI at the end of the ISR. If you process only one interrupt that 16 clock cycle overhead has to be repeated N times if all devices are interrupting.

Quote:
Also, using your scheme, isn't it possible for a second device to signal an interrupt between the time the interrupt state of the device is read and the "Interrupt needs servicing" bit of the I/O device is cleared, thereby missing an interrupt, unless using some sort of atomic instruction? EDIT: Apparently, this can't be done according to your '816 Interrupt primer.

It would depend on the device in question. I don't use any 65xx I/O silicon in my design, so I can't speak for how a, say, 65C22 would behave in that scenario. However, if while servicing an interrupt the device generates another one, it will be interrupting the MPU when your ISR finishes up with RTI. So you would immediately start working on the new interrupt.

Chip errata can mess up things for you. As an example, the 6526 complex interface adapter (CIA) that was used in the Commodore 64, B-128 and C-128 had a bug in which if the interrupt status register was read one or two clock cycles before timer B was schedule to underflow and interrupt, the timer B interrupt would not occur (this bug often caused the fake RS-232 routines in the C-64 and C-128 to mess up). This error was not present in all devices, but had to be considered in writing code that was to rely on timer B interrupts. Hence it was necessary to check timer B in software to see if it had relatched, since the interrupt itself was unreliable.

All of the devices that I use provide detailed status about why they are interrupting, and operate asynchronously to the Ø2 clock, unlike the 65xx silicon. If they change state while interrupt processing is going on it doesn't cause any problem. As soon as the IRQ handler has finished up and returned to the foreground a new interrupt will occur.

Quote:
EDIT 2: "Operating the 65C816 at Ø2 rates over 8 MHz often necessitates the use of hardware wait-states when I/O devices must be accessed." Is this true with 14MHz parts?

The WDC 65C21, 65C22 and 65C51 are specified for 14 MHz operation and thus require no wait-states. I suspect those parts can be run faster, but don't know if that's the case. You should note that chip selects for those devices, as well as the state of R/W, must be valid before the rise of Ø2. In other words, the 'C21, 'C22 and 'C51 run synchronously with the MPU.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7