6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:36 pm 

Sure i will create one now, I have the CS for RAM tied with the Rising edge of Phase 2 out (from what i saw this is correct). This is the same for both Video RAM as well as system RAM, whats weird about it is that as i monitor the lines on a very slow clock rate there is not even a write that gets issued during the indirect addressing - only after when it stores the value of 00 in video ram.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:41 pm 

Hi ChaseHQ85,

I'm at work right now, but when I get home I would like to supply you with a re-written version of your code for testing purposes, based on what I think you're trying to do with yours. I want to encourage you to learn efficient coding habits, and the best way to do that is to jump in and post your code for review, but hand-simulating your source is making me grind my teeth too much. :)

Mike B.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:42 pm 

I'm thinking the trouble could be at the very end of the cycle where the high byte is read: the next cycle is a write, and if that write signal is applied when the RAM is still accessing the high byte, it will write instead of reading. But it doesn't quite hang together. Indeed, for an indexed write I think there might be another read cycle in between.

I think it's a big clue, if you're getting a write back into zero page.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:45 pm 

Mike and Ed! Thank you so much for your assistance! Id be more than happy to run a revision of the code. I will continue to investigate a write back at the wrong time, as I go through it, it seems correct but i may of definitely over looked something so i will do that look over now.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:24 am 

An Update! So after BigEd suggestion of it having to do with WR timing, I decided to remove my NAND gate from Phase2 out and CS and viola it all works as expected. Which is weird because that goes against timing. Here is what i think it is - and please correct me if im completely wrong.

So... My high performance low propagation time NAND gates are coming in tomorrow, so until then I created a NAND gate out of two 2n2222 transistors - I cannot find any propagation or switch time in any datasheet for them but apparently they could be the source of why the timing was off. I wont be able to confirm this until the correct Gates come in the mail tomorrow. Until then, just driving the CS off my decoding logic seems to work just fine... for now im sure... while there is nothing crazy going on or any high clock frequency.

Let me know your thoughts, but i am ecstatic that it's working.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:46 am 

ChaseHQ85 wrote:
An Update! So after BigEd suggestion of it having to do with WR timing, I decided to remove my NAND gate from Phase2 out and CS and viola it all works as expected. Which is weird because that goes against timing. Here is what i think it is - and please correct me if im completely wrong.

So... My high performance low propagation time NAND gates are coming in tomorrow, so until then I created a NAND gate out of two 2n2222 transistors - I cannot find any propagation or switch time in any datasheet for them but apparently they could be the source of why the timing was off. I wont be able to confirm this until the correct Gates come in the mail tomorrow. Until then, just driving the CS off my decoding logic seems to work just fine... for now im sure... while there is nothing crazy going on or any high clock frequency.

The 2N2222s are rather slow and if saturated, can take quite a while (in computer terms) to turn off, creating all sorts of potential timing ambiguities. It'll be interesting to see if your problems get rectified with proper gates.

Regarding SRAM control, I know Garth's primer shows a circuit in which /CS is qualified by Ø2. The problem with doing it that way is you lose part of Ø2 low when you could be doing your setup. You should gate /CS as soon as a valid address is on the bus, which occurs approximately midway during Ø2 low on the 65C02 and 65C816.

What does need to be qualified by Ø2 is RWB, as allowing a write when Ø2 is low can have undefined effects, especially when access I/O hardware. The data bus contains undefined content during Ø2 low. Qualifying reads and writes with Ø2 addresses that matter. See attached for an example circuit.

Attachments:
File comment: Read/Write Circuit
read_write_qualify_reduced.gif
read_write_qualify_reduced.gif [ 19.15 KiB | Viewed 856 times ]

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:51 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
ChaseHQ85 wrote:
BigEd wrote:
Could you swap out the CPU? Just in case...

Sure! I bought two from Mouser, you wouldn't think that it could be a bad batch though could it? Is that common. Im going to switch it out now. Be right back!

Back in the early 1970s I might have suspected the hardware, but not now. Unless whacked by ESD, misapplied, or counterfeit, a defective chip these days is as rare as an albino dinosaur. :D If your problem is hardware-based then you may have a glue logic error. Otherwise, I'd have to go with the other guys and question your program.

Hey Dino!
The program ended up working out after removing the NAND gate from Phase 2 out and RAM CS - I suspect it is because im using 2x 2n2222's as a NAND gate. I can further test that tomorrow when my highspeed low propagation 74 series logic gates arrive. Until then im trying to find out some type of documentation on 2n2222 delay's.

Thanks for the post!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:55 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Regarding SRAM control, I know Garth's primer shows a circuit in which /CS is qualified by Ø2. The problem with doing it that way is you lose part of Ø2 low when you could be doing your setup. You should gate /CS as soon as a valid address is on the bus, which occurs approximately midway during Ø2 low on the 65C02 and 65C816.

The reason I do that is not just simplicity, but that SRAM is available in faster speeds than anything else you'll put on the bus, down to 6 or 8ns access time, so it doesn't need the extra time. Now if you're using old 450ns RAM at 1MHz or higher, then yes, you better get it started before Φ2 rises.

Quote:
What does need to be qualified by Ø2 is RWB, as allowing a write when Ø2 is low can have undefined effects, especially when access I/O hardware. The data bus contains undefined content during Ø2 low. Qualifying reads and writes with Ø2 addresses that matter. See attached for an example circuit.

The big problem with allowing writes before Φ2 rises is that the address bus is not guaranteed to be valid and stable before R/W\ goes low, so you might write to an unintended address. According to the processor data sheet, the data is not valid yet when Φ2 rises; but for a legitimate address, as long as the data is valid and stable before the RAM's setup time before Φ2 falls at the end of the cycle and the RAM is de-selected, you're ok. This might be more than 3/4 of the way through the cycle.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:34 am 

Quote:

Success! Very glad to hear it.

(About bad silicon: the last time I saw it was with 933MHz Pentium machines from IBM. We had 50-100 of them running chip simulation jobs. After much debugging of a stray simulation error, we found one of them would make one very specific error when running a simulation. For all other purposes, it was fine. We took that machine offline. In an earlier generation, when SPARC was king, I know the people at Sun -would automatically re-run any chip simulation which failed. Only the second failure counted. So, at modest scale, you might come across a microprocessor with an internal flaw. But it's a good principle not to make this your first hypothesis - I think many programmers go through a phase of blaming the compiler, because sometimes compilers have bugs, but the far more frequent case is that the program has a bug.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:03 am 

Hello again, ChaseHQ85. I'm glad to see that you found your problem. I'm providing an untested re-write of your source, in the hopes of showing you a different way of attacking the specific task you posted. I think that I understood what you were doing with your code, with the exception of your mention of the number "2820" in your comments. :?:

When it is possible to do so, it can be of benefit to fill from higher to lower addresses on the 65xx, especially if the fill area is not an integer multiple of 256, and this is the technique I have employed here. The accumulator and Y register don't have to be initialized inside the loops, because they already have the "correct" value when the loop-backs occur. Not only is the static instruction count lower, but the nested loops execute far fewer instructions, with the net result being a more efficient system. :)
Code:
   PROCESSOR 6502

;-------------------------------------------------
;-------------DANI-I-SYSTEM-ROM-------------------

;-------------EQUATES-----------------------------
VRAM:            EQU $8000
VRAM_H:          EQU $80
VRAM_L:          EQU $00
VRAM_CMD:        EQU VRAM + $F00
VRAM_CHARSLOC:   EQU VRAM + $F10
VRAM_CHARSBUF:   EQU VRAM + $F20
;-------------EO-EQUATES--------------------------

ORG $C000
RESET:
    LDX #$FF            ; Initialize the Stack Pointer
    TXS                 ; Transfer X to Stack
SETUP_BLANKCHAR:
    LDA #$00            ; Store Null in Accu
    LDX #$07            ; Set X to 7
LOOP_BLANKSTORE:   
    STA VRAM_CHARSBUF,X ; Store Accu into VRAM_CHARSBUF+X
    DEX                 ; (filling high to low is more efficient)
    BPL LOOP_BLANKSTORE
    STA VRAM_CHARSLOC   ; Set the Character Store Location
    LDA #$01            ; Set the Character Store Command
    STA VRAM_CMD   
CHECK_CMDCOMPLETE:
    LDA VRAM_CMD        ; Check VRAM_CMD to see if VGA picked up char
    BNE CHECK_CMDCOMPLETE ; Keep checking until it resets to 00
BLANKOUT_START:
    LDA #VRAM_L         ; Load Low Byte of VRAM address
    STA $05             ; Store it in Zero Page 5
    LDY #$B0            ; Last page is only partially filled
    LDA #$00            ; Set Accu To 0 (fill byte)
    LDX #VRAM_H+4       ; Init X to last VRAM page number
LOOP_BL_OUTER:
      STX $06           ; Store it in Zero Page 6
LOOP_BL_INNER:
        DEY             ; (filling high to low is more efficient)
        STA ($05),Y     ; Store the fill byte
        BNE LOOP_BL_INNER ; ... down to the bottom of the page
      DEX               ; Prepare to fill next-lower page
      CPX #VRAM_H       ; Is X < VRAM_H?
      BCS LOOP_BL_OUTER ; No: fill the next page
LOOP_DONE:
    JMP LOOP_DONE       ; Done: "halt" in an infinite loop
VECTORS:
    ORG $FFFA           ; 6502 Starts reading its vectors here
    .word LOOP_DONE     ; NMI
    .word RESET         ; RESET
    .word LOOP_DONE     ; BRK

END

If I messed up anywhere, please let me know, and I'll revise.

Mike B.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:44 pm 

barrym95838 wrote:
Hello again, ChaseHQ85. I'm glad to see that you found your problem. I'm providing an untested re-write of your source, in the hopes of showing you a different way of attacking the specific task you posted. I think that I understood what you were doing with your code, with the exception of your mention of the number "2820" in your comments. :?:

When it is possible to do so, it can be of benefit to fill from higher to lower addresses on the 65xx, especially if the fill area is not an integer multiple of 256, and this is the technique I have employed here. The accumulator and Y register don't have to be initialized inside the loops, because they already have the "correct" value when the loop-backs occur. Not only is the static instruction count lower, but the nested loops execute far fewer instructions, with the net result being a more efficient system. :)
Code:
   PROCESSOR 6502

;-------------DANI-I-SYSTEM-ROM-------------------

;-------------EQUATES-----------------------------
VRAM:            EQU $8000
VRAM_H:          EQU $80
VRAM_L:          EQU $00
VRAM_CMD:        EQU VRAM + $F00
VRAM_CHARSLOC:   EQU VRAM + $F10
VRAM_CHARSBUF:   EQU VRAM + $F20
;-------------EO-EQUATES--------------------------

ORG $C000
RESET:
    LDX #$FF            ; Initialize the Stack Pointer
    TXS                 ; Transfer X to Stack
SETUP_BLANKCHAR:
    LDA #$00            ; Store Null in Accu
    LDX #$07            ; Set X to 7
LOOP_BLANKSTORE:   
    STA VRAM_CHARSBUF,X ; Store Accu into VRAM_CHARSBUF+X
    DEX                 ; (filling high to low is more efficient)
    BPL LOOP_BLANKSTORE
    STA VRAM_CHARSLOC   ; Set the Character Store Location
    LDA #$01            ; Set the Character Store Command
    STA VRAM_CMD   
CHECK_CMDCOMPLETE:
    LDA VRAM_CMD        ; Check VRAM_CMD to see if VGA picked up char
    BNE CHECK_CMDCOMPLETE ; Keep checking until it resets to 00
BLANKOUT_START:
    LDA #VRAM_L         ; Load Low Byte of VRAM address
    STA $05             ; Store it in Zero Page 5
    LDY #$B0            ; Last page is only partially filled
    LDA #$00            ; Set Accu To 0 (fill byte)
    LDX #VRAM_H+4       ; Init X to last VRAM page number
LOOP_BL_OUTER:
      STX $06           ; Store it in Zero Page 6
LOOP_BL_INNER:
        DEY             ; (filling high to low is more efficient)
        STA ($05),Y     ; Store the fill byte
        BNE LOOP_BL_INNER ; ... down to the bottom of the page
      DEX               ; Prepare to fill next-lower page
      CPX #VRAM_H       ; Is X < VRAM_H?
      BCS LOOP_BL_OUTER ; No: fill the next page
LOOP_DONE:
    JMP LOOP_DONE       ; Done: "halt" in an infinite loop
VECTORS:
    ORG $FFFA           ; 6502 Starts reading its vectors here
    .word LOOP_DONE     ; NMI
    .word RESET         ; RESET
    .word LOOP_DONE     ; BRK

END

If I messed up anywhere, please let me know, and I'll revise.

Mike B.

Mike this is great!, Thanks so much this code is much more efficient! My new gates arrive today so im excited to get that set up and then crank up my clock speed. I come from a heavy C/C++ background and this was my first shot at understanding the nuances of 6502 assembly. If you dont mind, as i write some new subroutines for CharStore operations ill post here as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:58 pm 

It would be great if some time you can share the story of your build, with description and photos!

If you're staying - and I hope you are - perhaps you could post in the Introduce Yourself thread.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:13 pm 

BigEd wrote:
It would be great if some time you can share the story of your build, with description and photos!

If you're staying - and I hope you are - perhaps you could post in the Introduce Yourself thread.

I definitely will! I have been taking photo's and documenting my build thus far. It's been an awesome experience, and there is so much to my design i still want to implement. 3 Weeks ago I didn't even know VHDL and now i wrote a very timing specific Video controller with it - I certainly have gained a lot of knowledge through trial and error. I'm a datasheet kinda guy so finding you all have been an absolute goldmine! I'm extremely happy i chose the 6502 over the Z80.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:21 pm 

ChaseHQ85 wrote:
I created a NAND gate out of two 2n2222 transistors
I'm having a hard time picturing what you mean. The gates I imagine look like the ones below. But 2n2222 is an NPN, and the gate using NPN's is a NOR, not a NAND. I'm not sure why my approach seemingly doesn't match yours, but maybe the concerns about 2n2222 delay and saturation are secondary to a more basic issue.

-- Jeff

Attachments:
gates.png
gates.png [ 3.47 KiB | Viewed 825 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:50 pm 

Hey Jeff,
This is the NAND gate I used. Image

But... Great News!~ The logic gates arrived, i plugged them in, and up to 4mhz on a breadboard so far with zero issues! I couldn't get it over 350khz prior with the transistor setup. I have the RAM and VRAM set up that writes are only valid on rising edge of clock now as well. Safe to say, im on my way! I'll keep you all posted!