6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:11 am 

Hi All,

Hoping someone will give me a sanity check.

Following an older post from Daryl, I wanted to give using a GAL a try. I ended up buying a PAL, PALCE22V10D-15PC manufactured by Cypress, thinking that my TL866 II Plus would work with it, but ran into trouble.

Firstly there is not a choice for Cypress as the 22V10D manufacturer within the associated software, there is for Lattice, so I gave that a try, resulting only in the message "overflow protection" and failing to program. The chip should be good, it came from Jameco today and I have never had it powered, etc. Searching around I have saw a couple videos which stated that for GAL/PALs, the TL866 only works with AMTEL and Lattice. In both videos it appeared the fellows went down the same path as I did, trying the Lattice one.

Just wanted to post and ask, does that sound correct and does anyone know what programmer I would need, or if there is a file I can get in order to load the device into the software, i.e. not sure if it is a software limitation, or hardware as in the TL866 itself.

The chip was only a few bucks so no big deal, it's just that it takes me a week waiting for shipping to try another.

Thanks

https://github.com/DonaldMoran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:15 am 

noneya wrote:
Hi All,

Hoping someone will give me a sanity check.

Following an older post from Daryl, I wanted to give using a GAL a try. I ended up buying a PAL, PALCE22V10D-15PC manufactured by Cypress, thinking that my TL866 II Plus would work with it, but ran into trouble.

Firstly there is not a choice for Cypress as the 22V10D manufacturer within the associated software, there is for Lattice, so I gave that a try, resulting only in the message "overflow protection" and failing to program. The chip should be good, it came from Jameco today and I have never had it powered, etc. Searching around I have saw a couple videos which stated that for GAL/PALs, the TL866 only works with AMTEL and Lattice. In both videos it appeared the fellows went down the same path as I did, trying the Lattice one.

Just wanted to post and ask, does that sound correct and does anyone know what programmer I would need, or if there is a file I can get in order to load the device into the software, i.e. not sure if it is a software limitation, or hardware as in the TL866 itself.

The chip was only a few bucks so no big deal, it's just that it takes me a week waiting for shipping to try another.

Thanks

Was the IC new or NOS/used do you know? If not new then it's possible it's just a dud. Maybe ask Jameco it replace it and see if the replacement does the same?
Also (and you may have already done this) check the compatibility list for your programmer, although keep in mind that with the super cheap ones those lists are more of a 'we hope it's compatible with the following' rather than they have tested them all and know they are.
With GALs I tend to stick with batches of new-old-stock Lattice ones (usually they're actually just old used & pulled ICs - but they're cheap and they mostly work) as I've had issues previously with some manufacturers (new texas instruments ones, for example).
I get mine by just ordering from ebay with an expactation that I'll get 70-90% good ones from the batch I buy. Of course, there's always a risk of them being completely fake, but if they're all crud (test them as soo as you receive them) then you can claim back through ebay.
In the long term I recommend switching to something like an ATF1504AS CPLD as they're much better, run at 5V and can be bought new, but you do need to buy a suitable porgrammer as well and they're not breadboard friendly unless you make or buy an adapter (they come in PLCC not DIP). If that's not practical and you suspect your programmer just isn't compatible then I recommend the NOS Lattice ICs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:10 am 

The TL866 II Plus has the ATF16V8 and ATF22V10 on the compatibility list. Like the ATF150x they are still in production, and in DIP packaging.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:01 pm 

banedon and Martin A,

Thank ya'll much for the replies. It does seem to be that I must either use another programmer, or ensure the next chips I try are Amtel or lattice.

I will take that approach and appreciate the info shared.

https://github.com/DonaldMoran