6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: CPLD alternatives?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:22 am 

So far I have used the Xilinx xc95288xl CPLD in my MicroPET and UltraPET designs. They are unfortunately still unobtainable right now, so I'm looking for alternatives.

So far I've used the 5V tolerance of the xc9500xl series, but I've already updated the UltraPET CPU board to a 3.3V only (untested and unreleased as of now). Also, due to higher complexity of the Colour handling I've had to remove some features from the UltraPET CPLD code to make it fit and I'd like those features back and more...

So, my requirements for an alternative are:
- obtainable for a reasonable price
- free dev environment (as in no cost, like Xilinx WebISE), supported on Linux hosts
- 3.3V, no 5V tolerance needed
- approx. 50%-100% larger (in terms of number of macro cells)
- TQFP144 pinout
- 5-7ns "speed"
- instant on, no separate config ROM

I'd even go for small FPGAs if they fulfill these reqs. Do you have any suggestions I should be looking at?
I've looked at some alternatives mentioned here but they typically were too small....

Mamy thanks in advance
André

Post subject: Re: CPLD alternatives?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:47 am 

It's a good question, but I think obtainable is the big one these days. Did you look at Lattice FPGAs? It looks like the MachX02 series is supported by the opensource toolchain yosys and nextpnr.

Maybe a search like this will help - filtered by availability, sorted by price:
https://www.mouser.co.uk/c/semiconducto ... rt=pricing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:10 pm 

Take a look at Atmel's ATF1508AS, which has 128 macrocells, and is available in PQFP-160, speeds down to 7.5ns, 3.3 volt operation and support for JTAG programming. The WinCUPL development package is free, but alas, only runs on Windows. My understanding is some users have done development using the Xilinx tools and then translated the output to a JED that is compatible with the Atmel part.

The ATF1508AS is in current production.

Attachments:
File comment: Atmel ATF1508AS CPLD
atf1508as.pdf [690.1 KiB]
Downloaded 60 times

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:44 pm 

Certainly possible to run WinCUPL and CUPL on linux, using Wine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:31 pm 

Max2 family CPLD operates at 3.3V and have more logic than XC95288. EPM570 has 570 logic elements and EPM1270 has 1270 logic elements. They are available in TQFP144 but you’ll need to buy them from china.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:49 pm 

I tried to look for details on the MachXO2, but mouser does not even have it in the catalog. Is this chip still current?

I should probably add as requirement that the device should be one currently produced...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:07 pm 

the MachXO2 is still very much in production and supported by Lattice's current software.
remember that we're still in a chip shortage! so it's simply sold out everywhere and won't be aviaible for a while. (maybe you had the "in stock" filter enabled on mouser so that's why none of MachXO2 chips showed up)
here's the one i bought last year before the chip shortage fully kicked in: https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/842 ... 0HC5TG100C
right now it sits at ~12 EUR, back when i bought it it was only ~8 EUR. i kinda wish i bought multiple of them because it's a pretty cool chip. lots of logic for little money

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:11 am 

Thanks, that helped. It seems the MachXO2 from the autocompletion works differently... only gives a couple of results, no FPGA - but using the brand name search shows it.

Edit: I am on mobile and the drop down is way too large ... so I clicked the first MachXO2 entry, which was the category "!to be used with" and that of course is not the FPGA itself..